BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,

my bike is '86 K100 and I have an issue about it, I hope you can help me with this.

The bike wont start and seem the battery don't have enough power to crank the starting dynamo, so I checked it by switch the headlight on and other lights its all OK it does not show the indications of battery power issue, so I pushed the ignition button again several times trying to start it but the bike just wont start, later I tried to drag the bike in 1st gear holding the clutch in and open the clutch immediately after gain enough speed to jump start, and now the engine is able to start.
Can you tell me what's this issue related to? is it battery? Relays? etc?
Thank you for your attention

Regard.
Agri

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's Probably The Battery

If, as you say, the battery barely cranks the engine or just groans, it is most likely your battery. Just because your lights come on doesn't mean the battery is strong enough to crank the engine.
Trying to push start any bike with an alternator is an iffy thing at best. It can be done but the battery must be in good enough condition to "spark" the alternator. You might get it running that way but if the battery has a bad cell or is weak it probably won't.
I've seen guys jump start a bike with a bad battery and it will run as long as the jumper cables are connected and/or the engine is revving high enough to charge but the minute the extra battery is disconnected the engine will die.
Get your battery checked by a professional or try jump starting it and see if it runs.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The description of your problem is a bit unclear

Agree with the battery advice - also trying to start a bike with a low battery can cause the relays to malfunction. I know as I've done this.

Another known problem with this vintage has been a dirty sprag clutch internally - this problem is manifested by the starter spinning, but as it isn't engaging the starter the bike won't turn over and start. This is solved by a different approach - dial back in if this is actually the symptom.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts