BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my first post.

Love the fact there is a place to talk about older K bikes. Nice site.

I have a 1992 K100RS 16V I bought on an impluse while looking for a boxer to replace my R50/5. What a revelation! I love this bike. I bought it with 80K miles on the clock and 4 years and 8 months later I have 180K on it. No major issues (and 21 oil changes).

I recently rode a friend's K1200RS for the umpteenth time and took the moment to make some comparisons I found interesting. The K12 has always been in my mind as my next bike. The observations:

Love the acceleration.

On my bike I can hit most buttons without moving my hand, like directionals, but on the K12 I have to reach.

The windscreen on the K12 while it is adjustable, when up it lets alot of air under the screen and in cold weather it chills. when down it's less protective than my K100.

No hand protection from wind, while the K100 is helped by the mirrors.

I get 15K on a set of tires (lots of commuting between cars). I can't believe with all the power a K12 has I will be able to do that.

I can go 200+ per tank, but the K12 gets shivery at 180.

There is more, but I keep finding my K100 is the perfect bike. Unbelievable.

Peter

·
Registered
20 Posts
Peter, I've actually just (today) upgraded from a '86 K100RS to a '98 K1200RS. The major reasons to do so were, Brakes, Suspension, Power, Looks. Although i agree with your points above i think/hope that i made the right choice. I've only ridden about 150 miles on the new K, but the suspension and braking capability alone are well worth the upgrade.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm probably right behind you

Despite liking my current bike so much, I am sure I will be getting a K12RS in the near future. Interesting that pricing on K1100RS's is higher than on older used K12RS's. Wonder why that is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts