BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I need a bit of wiring help guys. My temp guage was knackered, so I disconnected it and noticed that my fan stopped working. I got an SAAS guage, with some different wiring but I can figure that out, except I am still baffled as to how the motronic gets the signal through temp guage. It must, because otherwise why did the fan stop working.

Also, I want to rig up a manual fan switch for insurance. What is the best place to tap the wires from? Thanks. scottyj

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did you ever get a reply on this?

IIRC the fan on the 1100 is controlled by the Motronic, it fires the fan relay. If the fan isn't kicking in anymore, then it could be a dead fan motor, they were known for rusting/siezing up IIRC. Try running the fan direct from 12v to see?

On my K11RS (sold back around 2012 now) I had a ballast resistor wired to (soldered across) the output legs of the fan relay (easy to reverse!) so the fan was on about 1/3 all the time unless the relay closed, then it ran fulll as intended by BMW ... ran the bike with a lot less heat build up but don't know how that'd affect uou on an LT.

HTH! :)

Max

1 - 2 of 2 Posts