BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About nearly two years ago my '94'k1100 got power issues. I eventually found out that the intake tubes were not in the best shape. Just replaced these. Now in fairness the bike has not been that active for the last two years although i regularly turned on the engine. I replaced the spark plugs. It isn't running smoothly though. At idle the engine seems fine. But when i take it on the roads it loses power at about 2000 rpm and as i apply more throttle the rpm or speed will not increase then suddenly it will get a boost of power and accelerate in rpm and speed. At idle after one or two miles of this behaviour the idle might experience the same behaviour.

·
PsyKotic Waterfowl
1,353 Posts
It's not a good idea to start an engine every now and then without really running it. Either ride it or put some fuel stabilizer in the tank and let it sit if you're not going to ride it.

First thing I'd do is drain/clean the tank in case water has condensed in there while sitting and replace the fuel filter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the spark plugs are all firing. Currently replacing the fuel filter and then i can test the fuel pump. Forgot to mention this. I said i could not replicate the problem when the bike was idle but if i put on centre stand and rev her form first to third and even fourth with plenty of rpm, i cannot replicate the issue either ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In order to test if the hall unit or sensor is at fault. I remove the t cover, turn the bike on at
say about 2000 rpm. Appy the heat gun and notice if the power goes awol?

·
PsyKotic Waterfowl
1,353 Posts
If the HES is crapping out then the bike dies so I would look elsewhere.

How tight are the spark plug leads on? You have to push them on really hard so that they're firmly seated. If they wiggle at all then they're not on properly. Hold the spark plug lead with a pair of pliers and smack the hand holding the pliers really hard with your other hand.

·
Registered
125 Posts
54089093 said:
Have a look in the airbox. If the bike has been sitting a lot, critters may have moved in.
I have had critters fill up an exhaust can with small dog food kibble.
And boy does it stink when it burns.

·
Registered
153 Posts
time to sell

Darih

Am I reading these dates correctly? You first posted back in July, about a problem which had already plagued you for two years, and you still don't have it squared away? Dude, with all due respect, sell the bike to someone who will use it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took my k1100 to a mechanic. He identified firstly the idle was wrong.
Corrected that. Only two to three cylinders running due to two faulty injectors.
Also the butterfly assembly will have to be factory reset as they were previously adjusted.
They adjusted as best they could. I got two secondhand injectors which left the engine running
more smooth but still sometimes losing power 2-3000 rpm. MPG is about 40. It fine on the motorway except
pulling out of a roundabout. So how does one reset the assembly, whom does it ans what is usually
the cost ?

·
PsyKotic Waterfowl
1,353 Posts
I'd just buy some used throttlebodies on Fleabay when somebody has them listed with a low starting price. Email the seller before buying to make sure that the blue paint on the silver nuts/screws has not been broken to make sure they're still at the factory settings.

Injectors get clogged when bikes sit for extended periods.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts