BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, i recently discovered a fuel leak located at the plastic 90degree coupling at the bottom of tank. I think the o-ring on the fitting is bad and fuel is bypassing it. Does anyone recommend changing the fitting and coupling to the stainless steel versions? Just change the o-ring? would that be metric size? I hate to cut my fuel line to take off the plastic 90 degree. the fuel line seems too short already.
thanks, tim

·
Registered
627 Posts
There was also an issue with the flange that coupling and other fittings are attached to. The flange and or the fuel pump were replaced under warranty as it was a known issue. On my k12R the flange developed cracks that would only open up under fuel pump pressure meaning the leaks could not be seen with the engine off. Just a hint in case you still have fuel smell issues after you replace the fittings.

·
Registered
137 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
thats the real deal... did them 12-13 years ago on my ducati and a few years ago on the K12s. sleep much better at night.

·
Registered
304 Posts
And you don't have to cut the fuel line, you can open the oem clamp with a screwdriver and a bit of patience. Bradmiesters link contains a replacement clamp.

While you're in there, you might as well replace the male and female parts. Otherwise you know what's bound to happen ;)

Reactions: max201071jd

·
Super Moderator
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,470 Posts
I have Orings if you want a couple. The OEM clamp has a mechanism to keep it open until seated then snaps closed. This often fails and the lock clip on the female portion cuts the oring. You need to hold it open until the male part is all the way home. Do not over tighten that female fitting that fits into the gas pump flange. The paste acts as a lube as well as a sealant. You can split the flange. The flange can split from old age also it seems. Also wet the Oring with some gas or a super tiny bit of rubber lube so it will slide.

Azure Font Tints and shades Electric blue Circle

1 - 10 of 10 Posts