BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
John Sykes Youtube videos indexed FWIW

John Sykes (online as 4hundredfour, Youtube user sharealike1) K1200 and K1300 clutch videos. The later videos are more explanatory than the early ones. Sadly much of his commentary and discovery was lost when i-bmwr went down.

youtube.com/watch?v=9Jg-QH_V5Fc lamellar pack fitment July 11, 2017

youtube.com/watch?v=efDzOO65X8w more about improving oil flow Nov. 28, 2016

youtube.com/watch?v=XbZB3wFWp1E clutch rebuild update Mar 5, 2016

youtube.com/watch?v=dL5-fOwTXoo K12 vs K13 clutches Nov. 30, 2015

youtube.com/watch?v=-uhwsNbMbIw oil delivery to clutch June 22, 2015

youtube.com/watch?v=EOAt8Atvpt8 oil pump runs but no oil to clutch June 20, 2015

youtube.com/watch?v=uFBjE7Ttwk0 clutch disassembly, why they vibrate June 19, 2015

youtube.com/watch?v=kZOvagDL7BM poor hub lube, antijudder spring essential June 19, 2015

youtube.com/watch?v=RUoJhN2JCHY inner plate loose Mar 11, 2015

youtube.com/watch?v=tc0_90qeu6k Dec. 29, 2012

youtube.com/watch?v=o_iyJK7YXIg basket rocks but does not rotate Dec. 7, 2012

youtube.com/watch?v=NoeOY5fPXWo don’t shim your springs tight Sept. 29, 2012

youtube.com/watch?v=4X7AZk21xWU Belville spring on its seat Mar 9, 2012

·
Registered
14 Posts
Barnett clutch as a fix for my 2007 K1200gt.

Pumacorp has said that the Barnett solution is not quite the best fix. Is there anyone out there that has installed the Barnett clutch plates that can give an opinion about how it improves the clutch action? He also says that the addition of an additional on half thickness plate will completely solve the problems. Has anyone tried that and if so how did that work? I'm trying to figure out if this is something I can do or should I have Mr. Sykes do it?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think the main problem with the clutches was oil feed which is why BMW lowered the engine oil viscosity and produced 3 different thrust adapters (clutch push rods) to fix the problem. I don't think fitting anything without addressing the oil feed problem will solve anything in the long term. If you are prepared to get John Sykes to do the work, go for it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Clutch mods.

I am still trying to get some feedback on the Barnett fix. The BMW dealer that I talked to today is happy to do the installation of the Barnett clutch package but will not drill out the basket for improved oil transportation to the plates. Is there anyone that has the Barnett fix who would like to comment on the results? I am perplexed. I love my K1200 GT on the road but I am debating if I should just forget the repair and buy another bike because of all the problems of riding it at low speeds around town.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I installed a Barnett clutch and it helped, but it's not the whole fix. John Sykes has a set of springs made for the rebuild. The other components you can do. The clutch push rod for improved oil flow. Drilling out the basket holes for improved oil flow. Dimpled steel rings for oil retention. When you order your clutch ask for dimpled steel rings. A friend of mine said Barnett makes them , but I don't know that for a fact. Your best bet might be to order a clutch from John Sykes.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Anyone know where to find rivets and springs that work for this clutch?

I could do all work in the clutch myself those parts are stopping me.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have put only a couple of hundred k’s on my 2016 K13R that I bought with only 5000kms on it and frankly the clutch is a big disappointment compared to the clutch/transmission on my old K12RS with 182,000kms. It’s still faultless and totally silent with every shift, including into first. Yes, I know it’s a dry clutch but still.... I am very keen to know what is the best fix for this issue and whether early intervention is the cheapest way forward before too much damage is done. it seems the last of the model run has many of the fixes addressed but still not a satisfactory outcome. Following this thread with much interest.

·
Registered
14 Posts
clutch removal tools

Some where on this site (I think) someone has volunteered to let fellow inmates use his clutch removal tools for K1200 bikes . Does anyone know if he is still on the site and if so how to contact him? If he isn't available is there anybody out there who has the tools and would rent/lend them out? Thanks for any incite anyone may have.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thomas I did the barnett clutch and it made a huge difference. I still get a little chatter off idle but it shifts like butter. My basket was a little notchy where the plates lock in but i tried to clean that up as best as possible. My springs still rattle like crazy in neutral when hot but I just pull in the clutch. Bike has 87k on it. I have the tools for the clutch if you want to borrow let me know...

·
Registered
14 Posts
clutch mods

Thanks for the reply lazydog. I located a complete clutch from a 2010 K1300 and am having it sent to me. I under stand that most of the issues with the earlier clutches were remedied in the K1300 clutches. I know that the thrust adapter on the 1300s has 2 oil grooves. I will evaluate the condition of the plates when the clutch arrives. I guess it jumped the gun on the tools. I ordered them over the weekend. If I can cancel the order I would like to take you up on your offer to let me use them. Thanks again for your kind offer. I will be in touch as things progress.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lazydog, with that barnett clutch, do you find it easier to find neutral from either 1st or 2nd. I've been contemplating on getting the barnett clutch. Its clunky when shifting and hard to find neutral. Based on what I've read thus far, sounds like i should also drill the oil holes out a little larger and also put another grove in the thrust adapter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
clutch mods

I have a 2007 K1200gt and want to install a K1300 clutch. I have a complete 1300 clutch. The 1200 has an oil pump sprocket with 6 tines and couples with the clutch basket with a coupler with 6 recessed holes. The 1300 has a coupler with 2 slots that couples with the 1300 oil pump sprocket. Can the individual couplers be pressed out and exchanged so the 1300 basket with the 1200 coupler will mate with the 1200 oil pump sprocket?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Not 100% sure, but i think you should be able to slip the chain off the sprocket by loosening the guide rail and removing the sleeve that sits on the transmission shaft.

Just be carefull to not let the chain slip off the oil pump itself. Its going to be quite tricky to get it back on without removing the belly pan.

·
Registered
14 Posts
2007 K1200gt clutch replacement

Guys,
I need some help, incite and advice. I have a 2007 K1200gt with the normal clutch problems. A K1300s clutch assembly has come to me. It is complete and has the K1300 oil pump sprocket. I want to replace the 1200 clutch with the 1300 clutch. I would like to know if there are any differences in the clutches that would require any modifications to the 1200 other than the replacement of the oil pump sprocket to accomplish the task? Has anyone done this and have any advice?
I will be sending the clutch to John Sykes to perform his magic before I install the 1300 assembly. I love the bike (More than my ST1300) and it fits me perfectly but the clutch drives me nuts. Thanks for any thoughts anyone may have.
Tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi thomaspkeating I'm interested in your progress, were you able to install the updated 1300 clutch with just changing the drive gear. I'm just now changing my 06 K1200R clutch assy to a 1300 , Did you also have to replace the oil pump?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Lazydog, with that barnett clutch, do you find it easier to find neutral from either 1st or 2nd. I've been contemplating on getting the barnett clutch. Its clunky when shifting and hard to find neutral. Based on what I've read thus far, sounds like i should also drill the oil holes out a little larger and also put another grove in the thrust adapter.
I don’t believe that what you have read is quite right. You should have a look at John Sykes’ (sharealike1)videos. It’s not the size of the holes in the clutch basket but rather where they’re placed. I looked at machining an extra groove in the thrust adapter but apparently it is so hard it wrecks cutters. I just bought a k13 one instead. Straight replacement

·
Registered
14 Posts
K1200gt clutch

Guys. I got in touch with John Sykes and had him do his magic on my clutch. He redid the oil holes and reworked the clutch basket to his specs, replaced the clutch plates and returned it to me for less than the cost of the clutch plates as supplied by BMW. I put it all back and started the bike up today. NO NOISE and smooth pull on the clutch lever. I will replace the tupperware in the next couple of days and report on the performance of the new clutch.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sounds like we have a winner! Did the good Mr. Sykes mention anything that was more important, or all equally so?

21 - 40 of 48 Posts