BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
K1200gt clutch

Good morning, John had several things to tell me. The new friction clutch plates are made for his application and the steel plates are dimpled. The k1300 thrust bearing is the one that people should be using. If you are going to replace the 1200 clutch basket with 1300 clutch basket, the k1300 clutch basket was a reasonable answer to BMWs problem. If you are going to replace the 1200 clutch basket with the 1300 basket, the drive bearing will have to be changed. The 1200 bearing has 6 studs and the 1300 has 2 drive studs. If you replace your clutch on the 1200 with a 1300 you need to make sure that the tension on the oil pump chain is properly set up. You need an special ecentric (sp?) BMW bearing tool to properly set up the the 1300 drive. The special clutch locking tool and engine locking tool are not required if you use an impact gun to loosen and retighten the clutch retaining nut. However I didn't think that with my level of expertise it was advisable so I changed the clutch as recommended by BMW. We are on a lock down in Maryland now so it may be some time before I get the bike back on the road and report on the fix. For some reason, unknown to me, our Governor doesn't think a motorcycle ride is essential. Little does he know that my mental health is at stake.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Bill- would you be able to forward me the contact info for John at 4hundredfour? I have that clutch judder and my local dealer is all but useless. Thanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey Canuck. I’ve had my clutch rebuilt by John and throughly recommend him. I’ve enclosed his email address in case you haven’t yet heard from Bill.

[email protected]

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can easily fix any of these clutches ..The only problem is I am in NJ and shipping would be too expensive ...I will try to make a video in the future to help other people out and avoid spending tons of money when they dont have to ,,..Barnett addressed the issue slightly but not enough ..They did thicken the plated a tad and made the stack height a bit better ,,they were just off slightly and thats where my half plate comes in or full plate and no spring retainer ..This is a quick fix to those who arent daring enough machine shop parts etc ...There are tons of people who own BMW bikes and dont have money so I am here to help those people ...BMW bikes used are very affordable and anyone can own them ...So that negates someone commenting with "if you. cant afford a BMW dont buy one " Cause these bikes arent far off of the pice of jap bikes ..
Pumacorp, I have a 08 K1200GT and just replaced the clutch disks with a set of Barnetts. The clutch engagement is definitely better, easier to get into neutral. But i think it studders initially a little. Should i have removed that round ring to fix that?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. John works magic on this clutch. Mine was horrible. I hated riding the bike the way it was. I contacted John, discussed my issues. I sent a brand new Barnette clutch along with the entire basket and told him to make it perfect! He fitted up the clutch to the basket, did the extra hole machining and worked the basket springs!

You will also need to purchase and install the new K1300 push rod with the extra oiling groove.

All I can say is WOW! HOLY SMOKES!! No more slip, No More noise, No more howling at take off, I can fine Neutral with ease!!!! Is an amazing clutch again!

Send him your junk and get back an amazing part! Pay the price. Yes, its expensive but, now I can again enjoy riding my 07 K1200 R!

On a second note, I did purchase a new cover gasket and new cover screws. I was concerned that I would have to take it apart a second time to sort out something that I forgot or screwed up so, I used the old gasket and old ONE TIME USE FASTENERS.

LOL! My work was excellent and I have ZERO LEAKS! So, You can use the old gasket if its in good condition (mine looked excellent) and old Torque To Yield bolts again if you desire. Just don't go crazy tightening the old fasteners. Snug then down and if you see a seep, snug then a little more. Don't forget, the cover bolts are ALUMINUM and are very soft!

I also installed the new up dated timing chain tensioner. Between the Sykes reworked clutch and the new tensioner, my 07 has never been this quiet!

Reach out to John, Call or E-mail him and discuss your clutch repairs. He is more than willing to help you and answer your questions!

Bill C

·
Registered
5 Posts
Pumacorp, I have a 08 K1200GT and just replaced the clutch disks with a set of Barnetts. The clutch engagement is definitely better, easier to get into neutral. But i think it studders initially a little. Should i have removed that round ring to fix that?
It worked for me and I have no judder ...

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've emailed John twice with no response, am I missing something?? Maybe he has a new email address?? Not sure how to best get ahold of him.

Thanks,

41 - 50 of 50 Posts