BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 4 months ago I tried the new Kawasaki 1400 GTR which, coming from a (classic) K1200GT (which really doesn’t handle well or easily), was a revelation. I fell in love and felt that this was my next bike. However, I wasn’t banking on the impact of the new K1200 GT. (or even the brand new S that I rode immediately beforehand and covered some 180 miles!). The K1200 GT was brilliant and ticked all my boxes; even if it didn’t quite deliver the adrenalin rush of the K1200 S!
Here’s the problem; the Kawasaki is a darned good bike but I know that, over the next 12 months, I’ll need to spend some £1,000 ($2,000) in replacing bits e.g. screen, heated grips, top box; new exhaust; PCIII. The GT doesn’t need any of this. The GT also has ESA (and optional ASC) + heated grips and heated seats, which Kawasaki don’t offer these as an option.
So, in a sense it’s a no-brainer; except for the fact that the Kawasaki is priced at £10,250 ($20,500) whereas the fully loaded GT SE is a cool £13,900 i.e a shade off $28,000. That’s pretty serious money.
So, whilst I appreciate that all you guys are likely to be somewhat pro the GT, you may well have had this same dilemma; if so, I’d like to hear from you. Thanks
John

·
Registered
21 Posts
My suggestion would be to buy a used GT from someone who has added upgrades and put less than 3 thousand miles on. You will save some serious money and get a GT at the price of the other bike.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kemmons said:
My suggestion would be to buy a used GT from someone who has added upgrades and put less than 3 thousand miles on. You will save some serious money and get a GT at the price of the other bike.
This is naturally an excellent suggestion. However; when I last rode a GT; it was a 2006 model. I recall that the brakes were rubbish and the gear box was the (same old) KERLUNK. When I rode the new 08 model last week; the brakes were excellent and the gearbox as sweet as a nut.

If you're telling me that an 07 bike has that sweet gearbox and great brakes, THEN I am (potentially) a happy camper.

Let me know; thanks

John

·
Registered
21 Posts
There is a big difference between the 06 and 07 but I would look for an 08. There are always people who buy a GT and then sell it in a couple three months cause they cannot afford it or it just too much bike. In the states, you save about $3,000 and get the upgrades for free. Not sure what the difference is between the 07 and 08.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi,

The thing to remember is that in the UK dealers seem to think we are stupid, a new bike that costs £13900 includes sales tax (VAT) at 17.5%, so when you see a K12GT advertised by by dealer at £11,995 it seems a bargin, but the catch is no VAT is charged on second hand bikes, so add 17.5% to the 11,995 and you have a bike that costs about £14.094, I know it dosn't cost that much, but the dealer must be selling it above the list price (excluding VAT)

Just my Monday rant!!

Cheers

Dwain

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dibbley said:
Hi,

The thing to remember is that in the UK dealers seem to think we are stupid, a new bike that costs £13900 includes sales tax (VAT) at 17.5%, so when you see a K12GT advertised by by dealer at £11,995 it seems a bargin, but the catch is no VAT is charged on second hand bikes, so add 17.5% to the 11,995 and you have a bike that costs about £14.094, I know it dosn't cost that much, but the dealer must be selling it above the list price (excluding VAT)

Just my Monday rant!!

Cheers

Dwain
Hi Dwain; The price of the bike (fully loaded; i.e. SE plus TPS / ASC and alarm) is £11,307.45 + VAT of £1,978.80 (whew that's alot!) = £13,286. However the dealer then adds a further £550 in "Other items" (delivery; road tax and "dealer charges") which, + VAT is now an additional £79 = £627; a total of £13,913.50 !!

They will have their 08 demonstrator for sale at the end of June but they still want a heft £12,600 for a used Se without some of the farkles (ASC/TPS and alarm). So a new bike makes more sense, does it not ?

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
The '07 bikes have the newer brakes, but I think the gearbox changes are in '08. The seats were changed in mid-'07 as well. Also, there have been upgrades to the clutch, airbox, and of course software. A good dealer will make sure that you're up to date no matter what year you get.

Only you can justify the cash difference within your own budget. I looked at everything, ordered the exact bike and option package I wanted, and haven't looked back in 13 months and 42K miles. :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
john....my .02. if your intend to keep the bike...go new...should have some '07s around that the dealers are getting anxious to move. Sounds like you have tried the Kawasaki, the 's' and the 'k' and you already have made your choice. Problem with the purchase of the Kawasaki is that if you have been looking at BMW's, you will continue to look even after the purchase.
the kawi is a nice bike, but its no 'k'...
good luck!
kbikeinbc
07 crystal grey met

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Gt

Well personally I feel it's about damn time both our country's had a tax revolt! Over 17% tax, and where does it go? Social programs that take from the producers and give to the lazy non-producers?............. what :manure:We need to kick liberalism out of every aspect of society and get on with the freedoms of living. I don't hate liberals because they're fun to play with, but I do despise liberalism. Can you imagine how much more fun and productive we could all be if we were able to keep every wage we earn? Let us decide where we want to send/spend our money to help the needy/non-producers, instead of ripping it from our hands and distributing it how the Government see's fit Think about it. Liberalism is EVIL! :yeow:
BTW- In your country, how much are replacement parts for a Japanese vehicle? In the USA the Japanese bike have a good selling price, but when it comes to replacement parts the tariffs established years ago put it all pretty equal in the long run. Bottom line with buying a Japanese bike.............save now, pay later. Not to mention a sub-standard resale value. Aahhhhhh that felt good :teeth

·
Registered
650 Posts
JIS, the brakes were changed in Late 06, november i think, so you can buy an 07 onwards with confidence.
The gearbox clunk can easily be ridden out with a little finesse and its not difficult. I bought my GT when I still had my HD Heritage Softail. I thought that the gearbox on that was hard work until I rode the GT.
One small piece of tuition from another owner and my gear changes are now silky smooth. Just slightly load the lever with a small amount of pressure from your boot pre the change and then only use a third of the clutch lever travel and I swear it will change like an Auto.
JIS i cant help thinking of the Monty Python 4 Yorkshiremen skit as I write this but $28,000!!! you thought you had it tough!!! In Australia we have sales tax, GST + Dealer Delivery and on road a new SE is close to $35,000. Currently our A$ is US$0.95c so someone is making a lot of money which hurts because we won the war! Oh sorry, I wont mention that again.
You cant actually compare this bike to the Kawasaki even though you might want to. If you have the dough, spend it on the GT if you dont, buy the Kwaka. Either way, enjoy the ride.
Cheers, Andrew.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I made exactly the decision your talking about GTR1400 versus K1200GT last year... I chose the GT, so may be a tad biased but hey :teeth

Bear in mind that before the K1200GT I had a Kawasaki ZZR1400, so I was very interested in the GTR.

The reasons are many why I didn't plumb for the GTR but I'll name the main ones for me.

* Lack of accessories - When I was looking the GTR had just come out and Kawasaki are notorious for their accessory list being A) short! B) Late! like upto a year after the bike is released on the ZZR. The lack of heated grips is a major ommission for a bike which wants to be a tourer! I know you can add them, but to be honest the last thing I want to do after taking delivery is hacking wiring and tacking bits of tacky aftermarket switches etc - They always look an afterthought, not intergrated like the OEM stuff.

* Pillion provision - My other half didnt like the pillion provision which was a major issue. The GTR seat is inferior to the GT seat, and looks decidely cheap. The other issue is that the length of the seat means pillion and rider are "bunched" together more than the GT.

* Tank Range - When I was looking, this appeared to be a major issue for the GTR, as its got the same tank capacity as my old ZZR which did approx 150 miles before needing filling. If your doing some continent bashing its really not enough. I like the safety blanket of that extra tank capacity.

* Top box - Kawasaki dont do a big top box. This was a problem for us. The small one does looks pretty basic.

* Xenon lights - No option on the Kwaka, and something i'd have liked on the past few bikes I've had.

* Dealers - Whatever is said about Beemers, you can always count on the dealer network. They blow these Jap dealers into the dust.

* Resale - Its a Jap bike..... They really dont hold any kind of value, although the BMW is going to cost more at the outset i.e. a bigger £ drop.

I could go on :wtf:

As a footnote.... I still like the look of the GTR, and if I was a solo rider, rather than two-up I may have considered it more seriously.

Just my 0.02

·
Registered
117 Posts
JIS said:
Interesting comments. Having owned a 2007 GT for just over a year, I can say that it is sportier than the LT, not as upright as the RT, and more sedate than the S. As such, it fitted what I wanted from a bike just nicely. As someone well past 50, I did find that I still had to make some compromises for comfort on longer journies - mainly the use of peg-droppers and bar risers (and 1" back). That still isn't as upright as the RT, but significantly reduced the strain on my wrists and knees. The new seat (late 07 model onwards - 06 seat is very poor) is much better, and I got mine changed under warranty. However, in the end I went for a Corbin seat and Smuggler. Not cheap, but makes for a very comfortable ride, and no need for the panniers unless you're touring (or shopping). Personally, having test ridden an 06 before I got mine, I would not recommend going for that model. A late 07 model s/h would definetly be the best value, but check that it has the new seat and the replacement air-box. Dealer should have done the airbox under warranty, but the seats were only changed if you insisted, so check they are the latest version - there's a big difference in comfort. Also, the BMW screens, even the tall one, do seem prone to buffetting at certain speeds. I went for a Cee-Baileys replacement screen which is much superior, but that's personal choice. It's a great bike if you want a bit sporty, but also a comfortabler tourer.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 15 of 15 Posts