BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed R1200 RT handlebar system on a GT? If yes, were there any problems encountered? Was the handling of the bike different? If this is done, is there an accessory shelf which will fit? Thanks in advance for your responses.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Tallman, thanks for your response. Actually, I purchased a 2004 K1200GT with this handle bar system already installed. I like the position of the bars, rider seating position and how the bike handles. I am just curious as to whether any others have made this modification and their thoughts on the issue. I have been having a problem finding an accessory shelf which will work. The GT shelf won't work (attaches to the bar mounting) and the RT shelf appears to attach to the plastic right above the dash. Any suggestions?

Thanks Tom

·
Registered
130 Posts
Tom,
What are you looking for, shelf-wise? If it's mount points for GPS, etc, there are many options. Some insight in what you need to do might help.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave, I'm looking for somehow to attach my garage door opener and a Florida Sunpass. I do not want to attach to the plastic. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
GT5_33 said:
Dave, I'm looking for somehow to attach my garage door opener and a Florida Sunpass. I do not want to attach to the plastic. Any suggestions? Thanks
I used velcro a attach a standard garage door opener to the left side steering head area of the frame.
Bruce C

·
Registered
398 Posts
GT5_33 said:
I noticed my garage door opener fob was 12v so I stuck in the headlight and wired it into the high beam. When turning into my driveway, a flash of the high beam opens the door. With my PIAAs, I don't use my high beam otherwise.

·
Registered
408 Posts
K1200GT Modifications

Have done a number of modifications to my 2004 K1200GT. Modifications have included:
- peg lowers
- barback risers (suburban II's)
- New rear luggage rack with RT topcase (painted to match bike)
- LED brakelight on topcase
- BMW Extra Brakelight
- jumb side case lids
- cee bailey +4 windscrean
- LED turnsignals attached to RS mirrors
- custom mount for GPS unit above gauges
- extra power outlets (two) in flarings
- flaring boxes (painted to match bike)
- Russell Daylong Seat with heat and driver backrest (Xmas gift should receive soon)
- passenger floorboards
- extra fuse box under seat
- autocom
- xm radio
- PIAA driving lights
- electrified tank bag

Basically I have turned my GT into a "mini-LT"

·
Registered
408 Posts
K1200Gt Modifications

detour said:
Why not just start with an LT? :confused:
Basically because I do not want the big LT as I do a lot of non-touring riding (back and forth to work, etc). With the GT as modified I have the best of both worlds. When I do longer trips with my SO, I have increased storage capacity and a nice ride. If I want to go sport, I can take off the bags and I have a RS. The power and response of the GT is something that the LT just can't match.

The LT is a great bike and I would take one over a GoldWing anyday, it is not a GT.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hanshi said:
Have done a number of modifications to my 2004 K1200GT. Modifications have included:

- New rear luggage rack with RT topcase (painted to match bike)
Hanshi - where did you get the maount for this?? The last I saw was a dealer in France had a special rack for this. I emailed and received no response. I like the looks of the RT case much more than the GT case. Thanks.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Anpav said:
Hanshi - where did you get the maount for this?? The last I saw was a dealer in France had a special rack for this. I emailed and received no response. I like the looks of the RT case much more than the GT case. Thanks.
Yes I got my rack from the company in France. You can go to their web page and order on-line. It will take a couple of weeks, but they did come through for me. Check out "www.recchia-motos.com". Good luck.

Hanshi

·
Registered
80 Posts
2 cents worth

Hi folks,
I have a 52 ltr Givi top box on a Givi rack on a 2004RS. If anyone's interested I'll find a picture.
I like the large topbox, locks 2 full face helmets, or lots of the usual crap.
I had the topbox on my previous K1100RS (only had the 1200 for 6 wks) and just brought the new rack from Givi, all fits, works, and is perfect for me.
Just my 2 cents worth

Cheers
Marty :ricky

1 - 18 of 18 Posts