BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
New member, just picked up a 2004 k1200 gt.
love the bike!
has anyone found a suitable phone mount?
not sure type, or possible location to mount.
any suggestions?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
692 Posts
Ok I can see that now in the pic. And that silver plastic housing is strong enough to support the weight?
This TORX screw holding the silver plastic pieces together (2 pieces on each side) are actually attached to a front sub-frame bracket. This bracket holds the whole front fairing and windshield mechanism. The top screw that he has used goes thru this bracket at the RED arrow shown in my photo below.

Both of these raised metal pieces actually hold the pressure of wind on the top part of windshield when riding (even at top speed of these K1200RS-GT). So I would not worry about a small GPS weight. Just be aware that you may have to use a longer screw if you are taking up too much thread thickness for your GPS / Phone bracket.

Reactions: TJGR and JDizzle

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This TORX screw holding the silver plastic pieces together (2 pieces on each side) are actually attached to a front sub-frame bracket. This bracket holds the whole front fairing and windshield mechanism. The top screw that he has used goes thru this bracket at the RED arrow shown in my photo below.

Both of these raised metal pieces actually hold the pressure of wind on the top part of windshield when riding (even at top speed of these K1200RS-GT). So I would not worry about a small GPS weight. Just be aware that you may have to use a longer screw if you are taking up too much thread thickness for your GPS / Phone bracket.

View attachment 29065
Thanks Sailor. That solves the issue.
Gonna try my luck with another question, the handlebars. I’ve read they can be adjusted, but can’t find pics or videos. By chance do you have pics of handle bar adjusting?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Gonna try my luck with another question, the handlebars. I’ve read they can be adjusted, but can’t find pics or videos. By chance do you have pics of handle bar adjusting?
Based on the 1st photo you have posted on top of this thread , assuming this is your dash in photo, you have bought a K1200GT with 3rd party bar risers already installed. Most of these 3rd party risers for K1200GT (as shown in your photo) are fixed based on their splines design engaging in the splines of the lower risers from factory.

Even without risers, the stock bars on the K1200GT (2003-2005) were not adjustable (neither back/forth - neither sideway rotation to change angle). Only the K1200RS had a small back/forth adjustment - even in the most comfortable position the K1200RS ergos were not better than the K1200GT stock design - in fact the K1200GT stock bars are about 1/2 higher so it was easier for most riders compare to K1200RS.

See my photo below for a stock K1200GT bars as it came from factory , so you can compare to yours...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Based on the 1st photo you have posted on top of this thread , assuming this is your dash in photo, you have bought a K1200GT with 3rd party bar risers already installed. Most of these 3rd party risers for K1200GT (as shown in your photo) are fixed based on their splines design engaging in the splines of the lower risers from factory.

Even without risers, the stock bars on the K1200GT (2003-2005) were not adjustable (neither back-forth - neither sideway rotation to change angle). Only the K1200RS had a small back-forth adjustment - even in the most comfortable position the K1200RS ergos were not better than the K1200GT stock design - in fact the K1200GT stock is about 1/2 higher so it was easier for most riders compare to K1200RS.

See my photo below for a stock K1200GT bars as it came from factory , so you can compare to yours...

View attachment 29066
Photo looks exactly like mine.
to be honest, I have not yet spent enough time on the bike to say that I need to adjust the handlebars for comfort. My biggest motivation is because the mirror stems touch the windshield at full deflection. I also have horrible blind spots. Was hoping a different handlebars setup would fix both

·
Registered
692 Posts
Ok I can see that now in the pic. And that silver plastic housing is strong enough to support the weight?
Forgot to mention this in my earlier reply with photo of front sub-frame bracket:
Be careful when tightening that bolt into silver plastic as the shop-manual torque specs is only 6 NM (about 4.4 ft/lb). Although it goes thru good support into the upper sub-frame , the end tread (to replace nut) at the other end is into a brass insert that is pressure fit into the other silver plastic piece (the front or windshield side of the same piece). See attached photo...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Forgot to mention this in my earlier reply with photo of front sub-frame bracket:
Be careful when tightening that bolt into silver plastic as the shop-manual torque specs is only 6 NM (about 4.4 ft/lb). Although it goes thru good support into the upper sub-frame , the end tread (to replace nut) at the other end is into a brass insert that is pressure fit into the other silver plastic piece (the front or windshield side of the same piece). See attached photo...

View attachment 29070
Understood, thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts

View attachment 29065
Spot on (y) love your knowledge of the K bikes Sailor!

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hi dohalloran I had a look through your posts but couldnt see anything tagged to this mod, do you remember what parts you used to install these? Would these work?

Suzuki GS 500 Fairing Mounted Left Hand Mirror GS500 | eBay
Hi. I would have had something posted on the old i-bmw site. Not here. I just meant that I posted a pic of this before.
R1100S mirrors will cost you, but there's no reason you can't go with any other mirror that has a similar mounting design. The BMW mirrors have some heft to them; not sure whether that helps with or hinders vibration ! And they look quite nice. I got then fro ma friend eons ago, $100 for the pair I believe.

Inside the fairing is a piece of aluminium, under 1/4" thick, and about 1" x 3". I used nylock nuts for the mounting bolts. The mirrors ARE fine at speed, in terms of vibration, and I really only had a friend comment on the vibration. It's not an issue, or I would be making some mods to it. I've had this set up for the last 14 years or so. If you're serious about doing it, maybe I could take the fairing off and show you what's under there. Pretty simple really.

I did think of running some sort of stiff adjustable tension wire from left side to right side, securing it under one of the nylock nuts on each side. Not worth the hassle.

Opens up the cockpit, and you can see so much more, and especially directly behind you, regardless of the jacket I wear. I'm 6'2", 190lbs.

Let me know if you need anything else. Cheers.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just had a look at your link to the Suzuki mirrors. Make sure you have a 2 bolt mounting system, and also make sure that the stems are long enough. Otherwise, you lose the "efficiency" of them.

EDIT: just added some pics. From the front edge of the mirror base to approx. the middle of the back of the mirror is 12". I think these mirrors are a little longer than most.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
I put my Ram mount on the bridge fork. It is a double stick tape. From this mount, you can use a Ram post any height and then phone or GPS holder. I put a USB port where the center hole is locate. You can barely see the USB port in blue color.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Light Motorcycle

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.