BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, first post here! Now this is my first BMW bike coming from a long line of hondas and im loving it to the max! My issue although is the ABS unit (first gen the big box with the two rotors). this summer, from time to time the abs was failing and i didnt have any brakes, at one point i took it to the shop to get it diagnosed and they pointed me to the direction that the Unit is broken and needs replacement. I have worked many years as a car electrician so i know my way around parts so i removed the ABS unity opened it up and found out one of the rotors (the rear one) had broken down the part that the brushes touch on the coil, (sorry dont know how its called in English!) , anyway i fixed that and fitted another one and the pumps work just fine on their own. Now yesterday i went in my garage bought my brake fluid and started re assembling. Did the bleeding as per the manual says etc etc. Now this is the weird part , the unit works on its own from time to time not stopping unless i close the ignition. Sometimes it does make the initial noise once i turn on the bike, but then it will never run again as im hitting the brakes. my Diagnostic app shows me an error on the front circuit ( Wheel circuit front 618B) and from time to time i cant access the ABS module and the engine , ZFE and kombi all tell me no canbus connection to the ABS unit. Now after some more bleeding i charged the battery and tried it again today and this time as soon as i turn on the ignition the pump starts and wont stop working (it stops if i close the ignition) and by removing the battery and re attaching it it does nothing! sometimes once i hit the brakes it starts but never stops other times nothing plain silence. Has anyone ever encountered something like this?

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Hello everyone, first post here! Now this is my first BMW bike coming from a long line of hondas and im loving it to the max! My issue although is the ABS unit (first gen the big box with the two rotors). this summer, from time to time the abs was failing and i didnt have any brakes, at one point i took it to the shop to get it diagnosed and they pointed me to the direction that the Unit is broken and needs replacement. I have worked many years as a car electrician so i know my way around parts so i removed the ABS unity opened it up and found out one of the rotors (the rear one) had broken down the part that the brushes touch on the coil, (sorry dont know how its called in English!) , anyway i fixed that and fitted another one and the pumps work just fine on their own. Now yesterday i went in my garage bought my brake fluid and started re assembling. Did the bleeding as per the manual says etc etc. Now this is the weird part , the unit works on its own from time to time not stopping unless i close the ignition. Sometimes it does make the initial noise once i turn on the bike, but then it will never run again as im hitting the brakes. my Diagnostic app shows me an error on the front circuit ( Wheel circuit front 618B) and from time to time i cant access the ABS module and the engine , ZFE and kombi all tell me no canbus connection to the ABS unit. Now after some more bleeding i charged the battery and tried it again today and this time as soon as i turn on the ignition the pump starts and wont stop working (it stops if i close the ignition) and by removing the battery and re attaching it it does nothing! sometimes once i hit the brakes it starts but never stops other times nothing plain silence. Has anyone ever encountered something like this?
I'm going through a similar issue and found, after performing a cruise control diagnosis(built into the bike) I found it was the cruise switch at the throttle body sticking open. Also check your rear brake switch for adjustment. My bike is a 2002 K1200RS so not sure what is one your bike but there may be a similar diagnostic procedure that may get you in the ballpark. Hell, my cruise will quit working is a rear tailight is burned out.....so there's that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts