BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

i have pretty bad cam chain rattle .. to the point I never put the bike in neutral as it just rattles too much …
so I need to switch the tensioner out …my question is Ithe bike has the flat plate tensioner installed ..
can I put the black reservoir tensioner in place of the flat plate tensioner …you know the new style that has an oil reservoir?

I have a 2006 k1200 R

i have attached a photo of the 2ntensioner types …are they interchangeable or do I have to put in the same kind of tensioner that’s in there I’m just not clear on that?

thanks so much for the help!

Product Organism Font Screenshot Circle

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
505 Posts
BMW parts fiche shows the one on the left. It looks like you can install the newer tensioner. There is also a jump guard for the timing chain if you don't have it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yes they are interchangeable. The new tensioner was a recall by BMW to replace the flat plate tensioner - in Australia at least

·
Premium Member
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R & 2021 Vespa Primavera clown paint job
911 Posts
Yes, here is the part number:
11 31 7 717 287​
SET: SET OF CHAIN TENSIONERS​
0.23​
1​
$179.29
ADD TO CART
Part Thumbnail
Here is a photo of an E8 torx wrench you need to install it:
Tool Hand tool Household hardware Metalworking hand tool Bicycle part

You need to insert the piston first (O-ring installed inside) then put the cover over it. Needs to have the piston pushed into the cover because space it tight. The cover has an O-ring to seal it. Oil the orings before assembly. You can buy a wrench on line at Amazon. Run the bolts down evenly it makes a big difference so you don't jam the piston.

Reactions: spanky

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Here is a photo of an installed jump guard, you can look through the 2" plug on the right cover for the clutch. Takes a large torx tool.
Automotive tire Camera lens Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Fluid

Here is no jump guard
Eye Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Liquid

Reactions: spanky

·
Registered
256 Posts
Be very careful bolting it up. If you over tighten the bolts the piston will bind and not work. You will know by the noise. 😲 The tightening torque is very small- something like 3 n/m.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Is there a mileage limit as to when it is possible to swap them out? (asking for a friend :) )

He has the old style adjuster and it does rattle on startup. Wouldn't mind throwing in the upgraded tensioner if possible.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi everyone and so many thanks for the reply’s and help !

one More quick question before I go ahead get and install this…
.so while researching this I have run into multiple threads here on this website among other places where once you are over x amount of kms …the number varied between 19 k kms to 25 k kms depending on the post …that you should not change out the tensioner ….
that’s the hard part in getting to the bottom of this …does anyone happen to know what the situation is with that? Should you not put in the new tensioner once the bike has crossed a certain amount of kms?

Mine has 37000 kms on it ….but the rattle is a problem and I do need to solve this …..i dont Ever put the bike in neutral as the rattle freaks me out …maybe I should also change out the timing chain at the same time as what these posts said is the chain stretches with time and the new tensioner with the chain in a stretched state can be a problem? I do have the jump guard installed, but definitely the old flat plate tensioner…

this website is great, so many great people here that are very knowledgeable on the bikes and very helpful …really appreciate you guys…..
Thank you all so much!

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Be very careful bolting it up. If you over tighten the bolts the piston will bind and not work.
It is not how tight, though they are 6mm bolts (9Nm) it is how even you tighten them down, quarter to third turn on each side so it lowers the outer case evenly and not bind piston inside.
There is no mile limit on installing this for K bikes as there is on S bikes. And renew the internal O-rings every two years.

Reactions: Corkboy

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Beech thanks so much mate For clearing this up! Will get and install that tensioner immediately in that case! And be very careful on the installation as per you guys instructions!
I love this bike so much my favourite machine out of all I have owned would be really pissed at myself if I killed it! A day does not pass without a ride or several ! It’s the one thing keeping me sane in lockdown…
it did take me about a month to figure out how to ride it slow and very smooth though haha she is tricky at slow speeds this beast hates town speeds and just wants to haul a$$ until you get the knack of it haha

thank you thank you!

·
Registered
256 Posts
‘It is not how tight, though they are 6mm bolts (9Nm) it is how even you tighten them down, quarter to third turn on each side so it lowers the outer case evenly and not bind piston inside.’
Quite correct Beecher. I had to undo mine and redo them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@ Chriscanning so if this was a recall and done by zero cost by the dealer does that still stand now years later? If I called bmw and said I have a k12 and need the recall tensioner done they would do it for me at no cost now? I mean heck if that’s the case I will be doing exactly that !
was it not years ago this recall was done …do they not have a timeframe it must be done within?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I was all set to change the o-rings on my mates 2006 K1200GT, as it was making the chatter on start-up, only to find it had the old tensioner. A phone call to our local BMW dealer said that it wasn't a mandatory recall (in Ireland- don't know about anywhere else). And that there were no outstanding recalls on the bike. He does have the jump guard fitted., and the fuel tank boss collar fitted.
So, if he wants to replace it, it's €100.

Don't know that the situation is in Oz, but it's worth a phone call to your friendly BMW dealer, to check recalls.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Corkboy thanks for that will be calling bmw Monday to check the situation ..will post here what I find out in case it’s of help to someone else in the future …
fuel tank boss collar ? Is that something I should be checking on this bike as well? I have had the bike only 2 months so not familiar yet with everything that should be checked replaced etc…
I got a leather bra for my fuel tank, it arrived two days ago …I took the bracket off the tank around the filler opening that was there for the tank bag ….since then I have noticed a slight smell of fuel which I’m sure was not there before …can’t see why removing the bracket for the tank bag would cause that…if there is a known issue with whatever this fuel tank boss collar is maybe that’s something for me to research and check Next…

thanks for the advice mate!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Doesn’t look like it’s a recall item here in Australia. I just went to bmw motorrad went to the recall page and put in the the vin and it gave me a list of recalls for this bike ..all of which have been completed ….no mention of the tensioner so doubt I will get a freebie with this one!
TF1200RT Ah ty on fuel collar info looks like this bike has had the fuel pump Recall done…

Rectangle Operating system Computer Font Screenshot

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ohhhhh, you're going down the rabbit hole :eek:
google for bmw plastic fuel tank splits, plastic quick-connects and strap yourself in.

In a nutshell, BMW use a plastic fuel tank, with a plastic plate on the fuel pump, on a large number of their bikes. Into this they screw a female quick-connect with a tapered NPT thread. This can perform like a wedge and cause cracks in the plastic boss on the tank. The original fix was a metal collar that they fitted around the boss to strengthen it. This has been superceeded, in the US at least, with a recall to replace the whole pump (the boss is part of the pump plate).

Have a look at this thread to start you off

You can chedk that the collar was fitted as it should be on the recall list from the dealer.

My mates bike smelt of petrol, (2006 GT) and when we examined it, the plastic fitting was weeping. I think it was due to the dealer not replacing the rubber sleives in the tank forward mounts, thus allowing the tank to move/vibrate which loostened the fitting.

In any event, we relaced the fittings with metal ones and that solved the problem.

On my bike, a 2008GT, the collar was also fitted, and the female quick-connect appeared fine, so we left it alone and just replaced the plastic male fitting with a metal one.

My advice, wait and see if the recall was done. I you want to, take off the tank and check the fitting. I would not replace an OK female fitting, but would replace the male one as that is also a weak spot.

I would also track down the smell of fuel. It may be a coincidence, and taking off the bracket shouldn't cause a smell of fuel. It might be the quick-connect. Better safe than sorry.

There is a load of info on the net, including youtube videos about this issue, including replacement etc.

Let me know if you need any further info and I'll try and help.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts