BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Capt howdy so found the leaking part it’s a plastic right angled item that goes directly into the tank. Contacted Munich motorcycles and they can overnight the below part to me …is this the steel quick connect replacement everyone is speaking about ..the plastic right angled connector is dri-ping even when the bike is off ..no pics as the tank is still on ..long story problem with container to put fuel in a dead car battery and container being in the boot which is electronically opened ..battery charging then can take off tank … anyways is this the metal part replacement everyone has been talking about

Light Product Font Screenshot Automotive tire

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Ok so ordered that metal quick connect part along with a plastic female for the other side in case it’s also needed ..they arrive Monday… in the meantime had to reassemble the bike as rain is coming ..have now Drained the fuel tank …so Monday if it’s not raining will pull the tank off finally …and put in the new part …almost positive it’s the plastic quick connect that has gone …correction on the leaking while at stand still …only leaks when I turn on the ignition and the fuel pump spools up briefly ..there after it drips for a minute or two ..
figured even if it’s not the quick connect I wanted the steel connector upgrade anyways so that will go in no matter what and was worth getting either which way, kinda stupid they went with plastic for that part …especially given where it leaks is very close to a big electrical part that looks like the alternator ….that’s a recipe for a fire if I Ever saw one ..like I said in a previous post fuel does not ignite as easily as people think but alternators to have electrical sparks within my guess is if it gets drenched with fuel it will eventually light …
if the fuel pump Is Bad it will have to go to the dealer for the recall repair …only issue there is a 3 week backlog ..will lose my mind without my bike for 3 weeks! The dealer said since everyone’s was locked down and not riding for months they expected a huge surge now that lockdown lifted And they got it!
For anyone reading this in Australia….. Munich Motorcycles in Victoria are really super helpful and super nice , really a great company with great people! They are a real pleasure to deal with and Bill didn’t get annoyed when i asked stupid questions didn’t have all the right info, he didn’t rush me off the phone , was patient and very helpful ..he definitely went the extra mile ! Just super nice people so if you need parts for your k bike check them out they rock!
since starting this post I got called by them and rather than charging me for the female connector as I was not sure if I needed it or not they figured it out that I did not need it and didn’t charge me for it or send it …saved me 53 bucks…many companies would just want the extra sale and say well he asked for it so we’re sending it haha so yeah they are great For many reasons.
Must be something about the motorcycle community and industry just a great group of people …my experience with delkevic was awesome and similar to Munich motorcycles …the people on this forum have been amazing so yeah must be something about motorcycle people!

quick update on the delkevic, I was hoping it was just a bit quieter contacted them to see if they had any ideas how I could tone it down a bit as I love the sound just wish it was just a tiny bit less in the loud department …turns out they make and sell an oversized baffle For just this situation that cuts off a few db ….that was cool to find out ! Already ordered it …so if anyone is out there with a delkevic that wants it toned down a bit c0ntact them they make oversized baffles for each model to help with that only around 40 bucks …

·
Registered
137 Posts
Glad to hear it's the maile quick-connect, (I hope). If you look in and see it dripping from the male quick-connect, it could be the female dripping down as it is above the male part. (Pipe down at the back!).

In any event, the male is simple to swap, just loosen the clip on the hose, it's a one-use item. Use a thin screwdriver to work the plastic quick-connect off. It takes a bit of doing, and some WD-40 (or in your case Shift-ya-bastard, Spray it in between the hose an the barbed plastic as you are working it off. Don't be tempted to cut the rubber hose as I think there might not be a lot of extra. pot the new connector in, ensuring is is aligned to the female. Put on a new jublee clip and you're good to go.

Also, when you are taking apart or putting the quick-connects together, make sure you press the tab to open the lockng ring. If you don't, you risk nicking the rubber o-ring.

when the new metal part is in, prime the pump and make sure the female isn't leaking. You don't want to assemble everything to find it was all along.

Good luck.

Oh, and yes, the picture you posted of the parts, the middle picture has the metal female quick-connect on the left of the picture, the male quick-connector on the right, A little tube of trheads sealer on the top left, and a spare O-ring on the top right.

As you said, if the female quick connector is leaking - give it to BMW for the recall. That will be a new pump. They will be happy if you just send them the tank, saves a few hours of their time taking everything apart I presume.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Corkboy : thanks for this mate for the info and great idea on just sending the tank to have the job done .maybe that way I don’t have to wait 3 weeks for them to do it as they don’t have to get the bike tear it down etc etc …only thing my bike is stored outside with a cover dunno about leaving it all open like that in the rain as we are supposedly getting a week of it ..maybe I can pay my neighbour to use his empty garage for a few days !
I think it may be the male quick connect if you look at the picture I posted above that shows the side of the quick connect ..in the seam that goes around it you can see discolouration as if it’s been leaking through there for awhile and dirt has stuck to the fuel in the seam … maybe just hopeful thinking …when I looked in I saw fuel dripping off of it after I had turned the key .. I have had the bike 3 months now and one thing I noticed but just thought well yeah it’s a big engine or must just be a thirsty beast or maybe I’m riding it too hard …it goes through fuel worse than most cars …I was putting 20 bucks plus a week in there tye fuel has always depleted so quickly …tuought These things have terrible fuel mileage …. rather I have probably been leaking all the fuel out down the road for 3 months! i Saw a couple of posts where people claimed their k12 was getting pretty damned good gas mileage don’t remember the number..just scratched my head didn’t think well my bike is probably stuffed if their exact same bike does so much better.
if it doesn’t rain tomorrow I will tear it all down again and do what capt howdy suggested take the tank boots off pull it backwards turn the key see what happens ..in all the running around earlier I missed that suggestion somehow …that hopefully will tell me exactly what the story is ! No matter what I will now have the metal quick connect , just hoping don’t have to hassle around with the pump as well !
Riding is the only fun I have ..I am the carer for my elderly uncle with dementia, not a very exciting life so my bike is the only thing I really enjoy and what keeps me sane nowadays ..I ride 6 - 8 x a day ..mostly shorter rides but rides nonetheless ride every single chance I get ..gonna lose my mind if the bike is down for a week or two …will have to rent one or something hahah
thanks so much again to you both for all of the help ! Will update here as I go along ..I’m sure somewhere down the line someone else in a similar situation will find this thread useful !
Hey one quick question, seeing as I will be tearing the bike down to pull the tank off probably twice more ..from Taht stage where the tank is off or mostly off how hard is it to check the air filter ..a big job from there or within reach at that point ? havent checked it yet figure if it’s not a whole other half the bike tear down would be a good time to take a peek..
from what I have seen today looks like you just pull off the intake that’s accesible once you remove the right fairing panel and it should be right behind that ?
capt howdy : thanks for your suggestion earlier re pulling the tank forward …somehow I missed that in all the running around so will do tomorrow weather permitting. The clymer manual covers everything but the pictures are kind of hard to follow how they have done it …so I will definitely look into the DVD you have mentioned ..would be nice to have a digital copy on my phone in case I need it on the go and being able to zoom into pics will be a big help !
thanks for all of your help mate !

·
Registered
256 Posts
Font Slope Screenshot Brand Tail

Font Slope Tank Working animal Screenshot

I have found that it's not possible to get the snorkel to close properly. There is always a bit of the orange filter gasket showing. I've noticed this on you tube videos also. It is sealed tho'

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Capt howdy thanks so much for that mate. You guys have no idea how much research you have saved me! Well actually I’m sure you do as all this knowledge you have came from just that !
Like I thought sitting behind tat crazy looking intake …I hate pulling plastic bits apart unless I have to as they never want to go back on the same haha
will tear down the bike again today just to tilt the tank forwards with a bit of fuel in there and turn the key like you suggested …want to see where the fuel squirts out from ! Here’s hoping it’s that male quick connect and not the damned pump! It is the plastic one in there and I saw fuel dripping off of it yesterday although that could be just trasnference from a leak further up ..there’s also that seam with discolouration as if fuel has been leaking out of there awhile so there is a chance it’s just the quick connect… hopeful thinking right !
Sometimes these manufacturers make me wonder with the things they do …why make a bike as awesome as this one that for the most part has really great quality parts then cheap out on a junk plastic fuel link? A chain is only as strong as it’s weakest link right…. It also sounds like their fuel pump recall repair was done on the cheap as well just adding a metal collar which fails again anyways within a year or two ..don’t get it aren’t they worried about getting sued from a bike or two burning to the ground maybe cooking a riders body part along the way? This is a known well documented issue it’s not inconceivable.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Forgot to mention that the snorkel has a locator to secure the front So take care. Once you get the two clips out the snorkel slides forward. One of the problems with the reprom dvd is that it tells you what to do but not always how to do it. Still an invaluable tool tho’.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Capt howdy ; WIll be aware of that locator many thanks for the heads up and all of your help
! Parts are here today is change the quick connect from plastic to metal day …pretty expensive part for what it is …here’s hoping this solves it if not who knows how long it’s gonna take to get the bike fixed as all the repair shops are booked weeks in advance ! Really hoping ..
will post pics afterwards of what I find and how it turns out …looks like can’t ride the bike for a day after the job is done to give the sealant time to cure .. instructions came with it ..

Household hardware Auto part Gas Font Metal

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Ok so got it torn down ..got the tank half off …the 90 deg plastic quick connect was brown and rotten ..under the bottom side of it is where a drop of fuel lived so it was leaking at stand still as well…
the quick connector was so brittle and rotten, once I loosened the clamp and pull to twist it out by hand it just broke to pieces in my hand ..so it’s obviously the original quick connect 16 years old by now and just brittle as hell so fingers crossed I’m almost positive that’s where the leak came from …
the threaded female connector was in much better shape and didn’t seem to have a problem …so there was fuel nowhere else on that fuel board ..is that a good indication it was not the femal end connected to the pu,p that was leaking …the entire area was dry and clear there was just a drop of fuel under that brittle quick connector …
‘already attached the male quick connect to the hose..
put sealant on the new metal femal quick connect waiting 30 mins as per instructions for it to get tacky as per the instructions then it goes in … I have to wait 24 hours before riding for the sealant to properly seal ..
‘so I guess I will know in 24 hours if the problem is solved or not ..
if the female end of the quick connect that attaches to the pump or the boss collar are the problem wouldn’t the collar be leaking fuel somewhere or would the leak still be through the connector ? While that quick connect was very brittle and discoloured had a stop underneath it I am still not positive that’s where the fuel came from … is there anyway to visually tell from the photos …that steel collar I’m guessing is what they did for the recall? All looks pretty good and intact to me but yeah I don’t know much about it all..
there is a heat shield pad kind of thing under those connections and right beneath them is what looks like the alternator …good thing the fuel ran off to the side sheesh!

Automotive tire Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Wheel Locking hubs

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Capt howdy : bike is all back together …, a few posts back I posted a picture of the kit ..when I put the last screw back on the bike I noticed that extra o ring that you can see in the picture of the kit! Please tell me that was an extra 0-ring and was not supposed to be put on one of the quick connects somewhere lol …because if so I forgot to put on an 0-ring and have to tear the whole damned thing down again lol …man that would suck!
so if that was just an extra o-ring ..24 hours will tell us if it’s all solved or back to the drawing board!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Looking at the kit it doesn’t look as though an o ring is missing so hopefully you have an extra. You could power it up before assembling the tank and see if you have any leaks. Also disconnect the electrical connector on the fuel pressure regulator (i think) inside the ring and clean up the connections. These can cause problems if corrosion is present.

·
Registered
137 Posts
.Hi Rszarka,
All looking good from the pictures. I'd say it was the male quick connect that was faulty. That plastic boss looks in good condition, and yes, it was the metal ring that was put on as the recall.

Now, not to worry you, but I hope you cleaned out all the old thread sealant from the threads in the picture.

And yes, the O ring is a spare. It is the one on the bottom of the male quick connect. They should be relaced if you take apart the connections on a regluar basis, or if you don't push in the locking tab, it can nick the O ring and damage it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Capt howdy : tye bike is already back together haha so yeah can’t do anything until 22 hours from now :) so will have to make cleaning those connections a future job …now that I have done it …tearing it down and getting the tank off is not hard at all …so will do your suggestion in a week or so, clean those connectors out put some dielectric grease on them …
any idea what tyat box of things is under the back of the tank?

good to hear I didn’t miss an o-ring hahaha I am really really hopeful that tomorrow when I test her it’s not leaking ..will be so crap if it’s not fixed ! 3 weeks without the bike at least ..as good as torture!
I thought of perhaps testing once I got the new part on but yeah thought better of it let the sealant cure first!

so one last question…if the problem was not the male quick connect but the female where would it leak, in the same spot at the make quick connect or ?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Not sure if i mentioned it previously but if i have it’s easier to repost
This site will enable you to identify all of your bike parts

‘so one last question…if the problem was not the male quick connect but the female where would it leak, in the same spot at the make quick connect or ?’

Not sure mate ‘cos I’m don’t know if the female part leaks internally or through cracks in the body. Mine was done by bmw so i never got to know much about it. The male half is what fails. The hollow shaft under the O-ring is machined too thin and gives out. Hopefully someone on the site will have the information

·
Registered
137 Posts
If the female part leaks, it will be either at the treads, i.e. the threads aren't sealed correctly and pressure forces petrol up between the boss and quick-connect. Alternatively, there will be cracks on the boss and the female quick-connect forces them apart (like a wedge) as it is tapered. That was the purpose of the metal ring, to stop the cracks widening.

If you followed the instructions, which on mine/my mates , were to hand tighten the female quick-connect then turn it at most 1 turn (mine only turned around 90 degrees before it felt tight enough, you should be all right.

Because its' tapered, like a bottle cork, and as thread sealent, then it should seal. The problem is when people screw it down too much and force the tank boss apart/crack it.

From eveything you've said, and the pictures, I reckon you are correct and it's the male was at fault.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Corkboy thanks so much for you help mate! That’s so great to hear that I may be right and it’s the male quick connect !
yes I took some fuel and cleaned those threads really well before putting the new metal part in ..I also read the instructions a few times ..I hand tightened the part as they instructed and only tightened it a tiny tiny bit more with the wrench as I figured I would rather it leak because it was too lose than to crack that damned thing ! So here’s hoping it all went well … mine spun probably 3 turns by hand before it felt snug then I turned it maybe a quarter turn more at most … I will be so bummed if it’s not fixed when I try tomorrow haha it’s going to be hard to wait until 3 pm lol but I won’t jump the gun and let that sealant set :)
I have never seen a plastic tank on a bike before ..I had no idea that fancy looking tank was mostly covers haha I was worried to work on this bike like it may be beyond my skill set ..but it’s actually quite intuitive and easy to work on …
ijfortunately A few plastic clips and parts have been broken already by the previous owner or a mechanic that worked on it …luckily all the rendundant anchor points hold the fairing pieces on well regardless .. I have found with every second hand bike I have owned with a fairing there is always broken plastic parts or missing screws …my last bike when I first took off the fairing I found 9 separate locations that did not have the screws in or even the speed clips anymore along with multiple broken tupperware clips …I think it may be mechanics being careless rushing and just not caring as it always seems to be the case fairings bits and pieces are broken hidden underneath stuff …
the bottom of the tank fairing also had a screw missing so will get some extra screws for this thing ..not much I can do about the broken plastic parts though ..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 · (Edited)
Capt howdy cork boy

thank you guys both so much for your assistance fixing this issue ! Without you guys I would have flown in blind and it all would have been so much harder!
Waited the 24 hours started her up took her for a good run …so far not a drop of fuel leaking !

Looks like it was that male 90 degree plastic quick connect that was brown and brittle like we thought ! Now my bike has the metal quick connect on there and hopefully I don’t face this issue again … I was worried even if it was the make quick connect that I will still have a leak as a large thick glob of the sealant I used that was on top of a fuel container I had was not yet fully set ..figured great I didn’t mix the sealant well enough and it will leak and I will have to do it all over hahah but yeah so far so good and I took her on a hard ride ! This bike is so much fun to ride haha I missed it so much and it was only a couple of days lol

there still is a smell of fuel about the bike but it’s weak and kind of like old dry fuel smell ..I think that heat shield above the alternator directly under the tank may have gotten pretty drenched during the leak …so will look into replacing That as well just to get rid of that fuel smell ..
the cam chain tensioner still has not arrived from the uk …going on 3 and a half weeks now when shipping usually takes 10 days to here apparently. May be a sign of what’s coming at Xmas with shipping for everyone in oz …the tensioner will be the next job ..Ah wait no installing the oversized baffle which arrives tomorrow …the sound of this shorty delkevic is awesome but it is a bit too loud for my tastes the oversized baffle should solve this and make it just right …it makes this awesome popping crackling sound as you motor brake which it seems the Orem silencer baffles out… sounds really cool ..the overall sound of the bike is much deeper and more powerful sounding than the Oem …you don’t notice that woo wooo wooo sound these bikes make at idle nearly as much because the other sounds drown it out ..yeah quite a big improvement…..I went by a police van on my ride and they both looked over and watched me intently as I passed hahah I was waiting for them to come get me.….

capt howdy real Oem …I used to use that site for a bmw car I had a couple years back …thanks for letting me know I can also find my bikes parts there !
thank you guys both so much for all of your assistance you made it so much easier for me and I was able to attack this problem head on with much more confidence than had I gone at it alone! Added bonus because of your advice I now have the steel parts, without you I would have just got another plastic quick connect and i would of struggled so much more Overall fixing this. Thank you thank you ! You guys are the best!

61 - 80 of 102 Posts