BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ahhh, shucks.
It's great to be of help, and really just paying back all the help I got here over the years.

It's great it's fixed. The trhead sealent doesn't harden completely (it says soft-set on the tube), so don't worry about that. I'd say you're good to go.

I'll be interested in your experience with the new tensioner. My mate has the old one and has the dreaded rattle at startup. it will be good to hear the results of replacing it. (I would do it in a hearbeat, but he's more hesitant.)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Fastdaddy ..thanks mate it’s good to be back on 2 wheels , really missed the bike felt like life was not worth living without it lol it’s all I have left of my youth hahah
hey thanks so much to you for that delkevic recvomendaTion !
Just came back from a long ride and really this Shorty is not that loud at all ..I think what it was is the Oem silencer is so damned quiet anything sounds crazy immediately after being used to that hahah but yeah absolutely love the sound especially the deep throaty rumble and pops on slowing sounds so awesome ! Yeah thanks for that mate love this slip on ! Makes riding even more fun ! Hey where are you from mate are you also here in oz?

Corkboy well mate very awesome of you to pay it forward and pass on all your knowledge to others that need help !
You just said something about that rattle that I have read a few times before and kind of differs from what’s going on with me ..you said just at startup and others said the same at startup then it goes away …mine is there at all times if the bike is in neutral..right when I first got the bike I was reading about this issue and someone here said they never put their bike in neutral because of the way the bike jumps into first ..so I didn’t like that jump either and figured was a good way to avoid the rattle period ..my bike never goes in neutral not at lights not ever …only to push it around with the bike shut off as once I pushed it a ways in first with the clutch in then my transmission error light came up ..it’s didn’t like that! my forearms took awhile to get used always holding in that clutch haha they were getting pretty tired sitting at lights … added bonus stronger forearms haha
but yeah I have the rattle anytime the bike is in Neutral not just at startup …does it actually go away on most bikes after startup? does the rattle also happen in gear for some bikes?
you guys have had some great instructional c0nvos with people already earlier on in this thread so I’m all set for the job , just hoping the part arrives before next year lol! I will be sure and update here for you Corkboy on how it goes and if the rattle disappears altogether once done.

Oh yeah one more thing I wanted to mention to everyone, I have a hjc helmet …you can get these revo tinted visors for them that they say has night vision for about 67 aud …I was skeptical about the night vision Part that was claimed but since the yellow red tint looks really cool ordered one which arrived today …dunno how it works but they were not kidding about the night vision ..the view through the helmet in the day is a very light blue tint which is actually very pleasant especially When it’s bright outside it tones it right down….when I rode head on into the sunset today ona stretch of road which is always a challenge to see on at that time of day for the first time ever I could see perfect regardless of the setting sun directly in front of me ..has Full uv protection or whatever uv rating it is against sunlight so your eyes are protected….amazingly the darker it got tonight the better I could see in this tinted lense …so yeah n9t sure how it works something to do with uv Ray’s but it does actually work and helps you see better at night than without it which is quite amazing for a tinted visor…..I used to ride with tinted in the day and swap it out for clear at night which while not a big pain ..was something I would have to do daily or at times got stuck out 9n the dark with the tinted on and had to ride with the visor up …well with this tinted lense you can ride day and night and actually see better at night with the tinted lense on pretty damned cool , way better than a normal tinted visor ! Will post a link below I’m sure they make them for the other brands aswell as hjc !

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi Rszarka,
there are usually two distinct noises
1. Cam chain rattle. With the old tensioner it was noticiable on start-up, before the tensioner presurised. It should go away in a second or two. If it's constantly rattling, that's not good. But being in neutral or in gear shouldn't change the rattle. It is very obvious when it is there and when it goes away.
2.Clutch rattle. That is (in my bike anyway) pronounced when the bike is in neutral. Pull in the clutch and it goes away. I'm not worried about it (ever hear a Ducati dry clutch :) ). The reason not to select neutral on the bikes, as some recommend, is the atrocious BANG when you put it in first. But they all do that. I alternate depending on how long I think I'll be waiting at the lights/stop etc. Sometimes i select neutral, sometimes i hold it in gear with the clutch in.

I'd suggest awaiting the new tensioner, putting it in and see what rattles are left :)

·
Registered
2007 K12R
110 Posts
Rszarka I live in Northern California (San Jose).
Corkboy did a nice recap on the cam chain vs clutch noises. The clutch should quiet right down once the lever is pulled back to the bar.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Corkboy : Ah gotcha so maybe this is a clutch rattle …will change out the tensioner for the new style either way and do like you say see what rattles remain …yeah there is a pretty Bad rattle, sounds like chain going over something is the kind of sound it makes …whenever I’m in neutral full stop …nothing in gear, all is good .. according to the previous owner this bike has a k1300r clutch in it but I have not been able to verify that ..maybe that has something to do with that sound… ok as I was writing this the new style tensioner just arrived …it’s pouring with rain but whenever it clears up will drop it in and report back Hopefully today.
yeah I actually asked here on the forums about that bang going into first when I first got the bike and was told that’s just how it is, I think that’s where I picked up never putting the bike in neutral ..I’m used to it now but first few weeks was tiring at long lights etc with my old bike I popped into neutral every time I stopped was just easier…

‘’fastdaddy that’s a beautiful area you live in ! I am Australian but spent most of my life until recently in the states I was a permanent resident so was there for 30 odd years living a lot of it in the Florida area ..i have been all over the USA …. through your area several times, great place to live it always seemed! You guys have so much national forest north of you all the way up to Vancouver and beyond mountains on all sides of you ..must be absolutely full of amazing rides and routes! Heck you could just keep going north and go all the way through the seaboard of Alaska if you wanted to, how awesome would that be! Sure looks like an amazing place to have a motorcycle !

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Corkboy : sorry mate no report yet could not get to the tensioner today because of consistent rain ..so hopefully tomorrow.
new baffle installed ..managed to get Taht in and go for a quick run in light rain …makes a pretty big difference toned it down quite a bit ..just as I hoped Same great sound but not quite as loud a good few db less. Just right….

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Corkboy: I have not forgotten about you wanting to know what kind of difference the new tensioner makes. Hopefully tomorrow is install day. I will do before and after videos with sound so you can judge for your friend how much of a difference we get.
will update tomorrow if I manage to get it in … the rain stopped for a bit today but I didn’t have the 5w 30 oil to fill the reservoir only had some synthetic 0w 30 sitting around , even though it’s a very tiny amount that’s used figured best not to mix it in and get the right stuff, if I understand how it all works properly 0w 30 is much thinner and breaks down easily..
real glad you guys posted all the info you have on the installation of this part as had I looked to YouTube for how to I would have done it all completely wrong !
I looked on YouTube checked a video of this install..the first one that comes up the guy does it all entirely wrong …puts the spring from the old one onto the new one …puts it on backwards label facing out and cranks it fully down one side at a time! Literally every mistake you can make ! tyat video is going to end up misleading a bunch of people into doing it entirely wrong! Probably already has a good few times by now…
Think I will message him very politely and suggest he takes it down as how many people may just look on YouTube find the first video and do every part of this install the wrong way if he leaves it up …been there 11 months already and it’s the first one that comes up if you put in k1200 r new cam chain tensioner install !

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Ok so 0ne question for you guys which I think I know the answer to but just to be sure …I read the motorrad installation guide that capt howdy posted earlier on page 2 of this thread and re read it just to make sure ….
it does not say a word about adding engine oil to the reservoir before installing …so not exactly sure where I got that in my head from … seems like you just start and shut down the bike 3 x after the install and before riding to pressurise the new tensioner..
I did not get that from you guys right to add oil to the tensioner reservoir before installing As it’s definitely not in the motorrad guide that capt howdy posted.. …

·
Registered
2007 K12R
110 Posts
Zarka, below is from the write up I posted a link for on page 2 of this thread:

You need to pre-fill the oil reservoir and the plunger. I simply poured a half table spoon full of motor oil into the reservoir and inserted the plunger and actuated the device. I did this three times and it seemed it wouldn’t take any more.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Ah got it thanks mate! So that’s where I got that in my head from reading your post at some point ! Thanks so much for that , exactly what I will do as soon as I can !
Turns out one of the previous owners has really badly stripped the bolts that hold the tensioner in ..they must of used vice grips or a socket that was a bit too big the last time it was messed with ..the damned bolts are almost round at this point.
So need to get 2 more of those bolts before doing anything so once I get them out I can replace them …also figure out best tool to get them out without further stripping the bolts to where they have to be drilled out !
seems like there is quite a bit of rust at the base of them as well ..so the job just got a bit more complex and trickier!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
So if anyone needs to find any hard to find parts for the k1200r ..this website seems to have everything even down to the bolts and washers …will order the 2 hex screws for the tensioner from here …took forever to find someone that sells the actual bolts haha a lot of the bolts on my bike are rusted so may order a bunch of different bolts from here.. these guys seem to have every single item for this bike…located in the uk I believe…

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Corkboy : so haven’t done it yet to give you a report ..will be tomorrow , I had to get new bolts first as old ones are already stripped badly …no socket or wrench will fit 1them anymore and they will be even worse once i vice grip them off of there ..can’t put those back in after . I will have to put my old muffler back on for the install as tye new one drowns out the chain rattle ..so won’t be able to tell if it’s is better or not without the quieter silencer..

.I was going to order them off that parts site I posted but the shipping was like 40 euros lol ..instead I have gotten the exact size of the bolts M6 15 mm ..went and picked them up today ..they did not have the hex head only a torx head bolt, like most of the bolts on this bike have .. can’t see any reason why this would not work the same.

will install tomorrow and let you know for your friend how much of a difference it makes with the rattle !

Peripheral Input device Space bar Office equipment Computer keyboard

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Ok guys so finally did it today ..of course for me it refuses to go how it should! I did every thing per the sintructions exactly …
removed old tensioner and all parts …onstalled new ring ..made a small paper funnel…. filled reservoir with oil ..filled plunger with oil ….inserted the plunger attached the top part with the notch and label facing engine ..very carefully torqued down the screws in an even manner to approx 9 nm …
followed instructions briefly started the bike 3 times and Quickly shut off ..then started the bike twice more the rattle was intense so this thing is not working at all at present no tension whatsoever on that timing chain ! cant figure out what I may of done wrong….checked my oil levels given this thing works on hydraulic pressure. Oil levels are good …no leaks coming around tensioner so pressure should be there …so yeah dunno ..I will take it off do it all again and see if it works ..if not back on with the old tensioner …so yeah have no idea what could be the problem as I followed the instructions exactly ! I know it’s the right part ……any ideas guys?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
so pulled the cct out again ...when looking through the instructions again i noticed there is a small o-ring on the part the plunger connects to ...didnt remember seeing it so thought maybe i forgot to put it on ...but no the little o-ring was on there ...did as fast daddy did ..filled the reservoir and plunger put the plunger on activated it several times ...refilled the reservoir rinse and repeat x 4 just to make sure the reservoir was as full of oil as possible...although when you put it on some oil spills out ...its unavoidable ....reinstalled it but unfortunately its now 9pm here and with the new muffler i cant do that to my neighbours ..so have to wait until tomorrow to see if its working or not and try it out.... maybe i didnt put enough oil in the reservoir on the first round! cant come up with any other reason for it not working!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Corkboy : so just went out to do the 3 starts to test it ..immediately on first start it was completely cam chain rattle free ! Not even the tiniest bit of chain rattle ! A huge difference from the racket it made yesterday on first install … so not exactly sure what I did wrong the first time… only difference between the 2 installs was the second time I put the plunger on and activated it then refilled reservoir rinse and repeat x 4 …so maybe first time I just did not have enough oil in the reservoir and plunger even though I’m pretty sure I had it completely full ..’
so for anyone reading this in the future this is what seemed to of helped …attach the plunger to the reservoir activate the device a couple of times take the plunger off fill reservoir again before installing. Seems if you do not make sure it is completely full with oil on install it does not work.. only thing I can come up with…
corkboy : I know you were interested for a friend on how this turns out …I can hear exactly zero cam chain rattle on start up …i was going to take video for you but with this new muffler it’s pointless you won’t hear it properly …but I am willing to put the old silencer back on start it up and video for you if it will help you and your friend? It’s no problem especially after all the help you have given me I am more than willing to do this for you it’s not a huge job …would it help should I swap out pipes and make a video with sound of start up So it can help your friend decide?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Here’s the old cct …any obvious signs of wear or it being faulty or slowly going ? Is that ring not far from the end of the plunger some sort of wear ring or there when new?
So there were no lock washers under the original bolts ..doesn’t seem to be lock washers in the instructions either …I’m guessing the upward pressure from the plunger against the bolts and reservoir is what keeps the bolts from slowly unwinding in the heavy vibration state of an Engine ? Does anyone use lock washers on this part?

Automotive lighting Grey Gas Vehicle door Digital camera

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hey rszarka. I don’t think these things can wear. There’s no moving parts as such and the plunger end pushes against the cam chain guide which is what wears. Their problem was that they couldn’t maintain sufficient pressure against the cam chain tensioner rail on start up. A design issue not a wear issue.
No need for lock washers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Capt howdy : thanks for explaining That for me mate , seems all chain rattle sounds at startup are entirely gone, there is no rattle for any period of time… just took it for a ride ..
well the bike seems to be much smoother overall altogether with this new cct …once it warms up the idle seems to be much steadier than it was…does the cam chain tension affect the bikes idle? …maybe it’s my imagination but just over all everything seems much smoother now … before whenever I put the bike in neutral there was a sound like a chain running over something ..I’m assuming Taht was the cam chain rattle ….well that’s gone it now sounds the same in neutral out of neutral everything just seems much improved overall which made upgrading the tensioner very much worth it! Like I said some of Taht may be just my imagination hahah but yeah I’m very happy with it all Now that it has worked.

corkboy : just made a video for you on a cold start lemme know if you can hear what you needed to hear for your friend … I don’t hear any rattle in that video for any period of time and it absolutely used to be there and quite prominent especially on a cold start like this ..if you can’t hear what you needed because of the other sounds will do again with the Oem silencer on for ya :) lemme know….

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi rzarka, glad to hear it's fixed. Thanks for the video, it's pretty clear te rattle is gone. Exhaust sounds nice as well :)

I'd say my mate will take the plunge now. He has to get the header pipes welded, so might as well do both jobs at the same time.

Go out an enjoy the bike.

And, I would say the new camchain tensioner would make a difference, especially at idle. If the cam chain is loose, then the valves are opening at slightly different intervals, so the fuel intake and exhaust per stroke might be fractionally different. Different enough to affect running? Quite possibly.

81 - 100 of 102 Posts