BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know BMW Engine oil topics has been beat to death but, What is the latest and greatest recommendation for the best engine oil for a 2007 K1200 R. The recommendations seem to change as time goes by. Please provide recommendations that you have used with success.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Moto Vasya & Capt howdy. Thank You for the replies. 5w-40 Oil but, is there a specific brand that is recommended over the others for our bikes. A while ago, people were recommending the Rotella T6 Oil over the other brands of oil. I use Pennzoil Platinum in all my vehicles but I don't know if a vehicle detergent package is suitable with our wet clutch and also as a transmission lubricant. Thank you again. Bill

·
Registered
2013 K1300R
34 Posts
I have a 2013 K1300R located in Brisbane Australia. During summer, temperatures can go as high as 45c. Is 5w40 good enough or would I be better off with 10W40 ?

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have a 2013 K1300R located in Brisbane Australia. During summer, temperatures can go as high as 45c. Is 5w40 good enough or would I be better off with 10W40 ?
I’m also in Brisbane. 5w40 is fine. 40 is the relevant number when the engine’s at working temperature

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I live in El Paso TX. That's far West TX in the high desert. Summer temps average 90-105 F daily and the humidity is very low. so, I will use the 5-40 weight full synthetic oil. We very seldom get temps that are extreme cold. I can easily ride all year long. My issue is the old OEM Castrol oil is a Mineral type oil. Most oils these days are a full Synthetic Oil. . Heck, the local auto parts stores don't even carry the old recommended Castrol type oil. There is a newer Castrol Synthetic oil. I just don't want to put the wrong type oil in the engine as to have clutch issues. Hell, I really don't really care how much it is. Just want the oil that will make the engine & CLUTCH happy. The old BMW specs can be confusing. Engine Oil type and quality has changed so much in the past 15 years. I was just looking for a newer oil that will be compatible with our engines. I use Full Synthetic in every vehicle that I own. I'm just going to use the Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-40 oil, the BMW filter and DRIVE ON. If anyone has any info why I shouldn't, Please chime in. Thank ALL of you for answering and have a great day. BC.

·
Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,333 Posts
So, why did you even ask?
you do need the MA or MA2 rating.

Reactions: EricK1300GTSE
1 - 13 of 13 Posts