BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i have replaced rear main oil seal and all transmission seals as well as slave cylinder. I have been trying to build the pressure up for a number of hours now but nothing seems to work. The only thing i have found is that if i pump the clutch lever like crazy i can get just enough of a bite to disengage the clutch in gear and spin the wheel. I really am at my whits end and have never had this much issue bleeding a clutch before. Not sure what my next step should be - any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The clutch can be tricky at the best of times. Ensure your steering is turned fully to the right so the master cylinder is at the highest point. Air tends to trap at the banjo fitting at the MC so following normal bleed procedures of squeeze, open, close, release, crack open the banjo fitting. Make sure all plastic is removed and you have plenty of rags under the banjo fitting. You won’t loose much fluid, but it doesn’t take much either to wreck a nice paint job and have a squeeze bottle of water handy. When you are bleeding pull the clutch lever in slowly and watch for trails of very small bubbles, and a tap with a rubber mallet on the side of the banjo fitting won’t do any harm either to dispel air although you will need help to do this. Also IMHO there is nothing wrong with recycling your brake fluid until you get it sorted, then once happy run some fresh fluid through the line. BTW I hope you replaced the O-ring when you replaced the main seal as the main seal rarely fails. The O-ring is nearly always the culprit and should be replaced in Viton

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi! Thanks for your reply. I have tried everything that you listed and still no luck. I have attached a clear hose from the bleed nipple and can see that there is an infinite amount of air bubbles coming out every time i bleed. Have been going for 45 minutes and the bubbles come out with the fluid every time. I have checked the lines and slave over and cannot find a leak anywhere. Completely baffled. Maybe i was supplied a dodgy slave cylinder.. I left the lever tied up over night and did not help much and the fluid level did not change either?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Best you can do is keep bleeding if you have air bubbles. As I alluded to previously, recycling the brake fluid won’t do you any harm and will save you a bit of coin on fluid. Try strapping the lever to the bars overnight as many have had success with this technique.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do you have a vacuum source such as a mighty vac? I would try vacuum bleeding. Harbor Freight has a few inexpensive options from an air powered bleeder for about $35 and they have a hand pump. The hand pump is all you need.

Many times you will see air bubbles because the threads on the bleed nipple draw air into it when it is cracked open. You can also try wrapping the bleed nipple with teflon tape to close that up.

It's hard to see in this picture, but I am bleeding my ABS from the master cylinder to the ABS unit. The mighty vac is on the ground, so you can't see it.

Try the vacuum method. Best of luck.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Using a vacuum pump is probably fine for the clutch, but I’d not recommend a vacuum pump anywhere near an I-ABS unit as found on 2002 and later models. There is a general warning not to use a vacuum pump when bleeding the I-ABS unit, and there is no need to bleed the wheel circuits with a vacuum as the ABS unit draws the fluid from the reservoirs under the seat.
Gary Hollinger has a wonderful method posted here in the hall of wisdom.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts