BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm impatient and want to make a cross country trip before the weather cools any more. I know where I can pick up a new '06 tomorrow. My local dealer is also expecting an '07 "any day". Do significant differences exist between the models? Should I wait for the '07?

·
Registered
96 Posts
all depends ?

trailwing said:
I'm impatient and want to make a cross country trip before the weather cools any more. I know where I can pick up a new '06 tomorrow. My local dealer is also expecting an '07 "any day". Do significant differences exist between the models? Should I wait for the '07?

first off - any day on the '07 could be weeks.

secondly - 07 will be retrofittable with the ASC (stability control - traction control) where as the '06 are not.

if ASC is something you wouldn't buy and the '06 has the goodies ( and color ) you want - grab it before someone else does.

IMHO.

Good luck and good riding.

·
Registered
433 Posts
trailwing said:

Ask your dealer what he means by any day. If the bike has been invoiced to him, it means it left the wharehouse in NJ, and then it should be less than a week. If its still in Germany, then at least 3 weeks. (This assumes your in the U.S.

Just one data point. My dealer had my bike invoiced to him sept 1. On September 5 I call and he says, probabaly will be about a week 'cause of labor day. SPetember 6 late afternoon he calls and says its here, come get it Saturday at 10:00 am. I'm leaving in 20 minutes to go get it....... :D

I would wait, no more than 2 weeks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
hazard said:
Ask your dealer what he means by any day. If the bike has been invoiced to him, it means it left the wharehouse in NJ, and then it should be less than a week. If its still in Germany, then at least 3 weeks. (This assumes your in the U.S.

Just one data point. My dealer had my bike invoiced to him sept 1. On September 5 I call and he says, probabaly will be about a week 'cause of labor day. SPetember 6 late afternoon he calls and says its here, come get it Saturday at 10:00 am. I'm leaving in 20 minutes to go get it....... :D
I would wait, no more than 2 weeks.

keep us informed
we want ALL the details as our bikes won't be here until next week

·
Registered
117 Posts
trailwing said:
Do you want servo or non-servo brakes? If you are happy with the servo brakes then go for the 06. If you prefer, or are coming from a bike with, standard hydraulic brakes, you might want to take a test ride on the 06 before making your decision. And, as mentioned, ASC can only be retrofitted on the 07 model.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I called my local dealer and then passed on the not local '06. The '07 was supposedly invoiced. They expected it last Friday but it didn't show up and are now guessing Wednesday.

·
Registered
108 Posts
messenger13 said:
As much as I love my '06, if I had to make that choice for the same money, I'd buy the '07 . . . just because. Although, I LOVE my servo-assisted brakes.
I'd wait a little bit longer for the 07. I think the ASC and new brakes on the 07 will drop the resale values on the 06 models.

Brian

·
Registered
838 Posts
"drop the resale values on '06 models"

Brian,

Quite the opposite might occur. it makes the '06 unique and guarantees "known" brake performance. This new system is untried and unproven.

I think BMW has only done this to bring industry "conformity" to their lineup. The old addage; "if you can't beat them, join them" comes to mind. The new system also has the added bonus of costing far less to manufacturer improving margins on their hottest product.

I like my "power-assisted" brakes thank-you. I like them very much. I'm disappointed to see them go. All those new adopters to BMW will never know what they missed; "the world's safest motorcycle braking system".

·
Registered
108 Posts
SKIZIKS said:
"drop the resale values on '06 models"

Brian,

Quite the opposite might occur. it makes the '06 unique and guarantees "known" brake performance. This new system is untried and unproven.

I think BMW has only done this to bring industry "conformity" to their lineup. The old addage; "if you can't beat them, join them" comes to mind. The new system also has the added bonus of costing far less to manufacturer improving margins on their hottest product.

I like my "power-assisted" brakes thank-you. I like them very much. I'm disappointed to see them go. All those new adopters to BMW will never know what they missed; "the world's safest motorcycle braking system".
Well, I see your point, but I suspect that people will prefer the new system. Good, proportional braking with traction control. I like my servo brakes but hate the whine when I am stopped on a slope. I love the power to stop from high speed but don't like it when I am backing down the slope out of my garage without the ignition on. I've got used to the sharp brakes at low speeds but do we really need servo assistance? If the new system is powerful enough (and I think it will be) and gives the option for traction control I think people will prefer the option.

I guess time will tell. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts