BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manual says "remove grubscrew from filler adapter and install a bleeder srew".

after bleeding it says:

remove bleder screw put the grubscrew back.

Question....Why doesn't the system suck in air after bleeding when the grubscrew gets reinstalled?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
The little One-Way Valve that is in there behind the grub screw. And when you put a bleeder in there it pushes against it and frees it allowing the fluid to escape. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
No problem, but careful with that grub screw, if it does not want to come out easy....do not start a big fight with it,you may not win that one.....! :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
http://www.speedbleeder.com has what you need. Good folks to deal with, too. No vested interest, just a satisfied customer. Make sure you've perused the forums and acquired the correct info on bleeding procedure for these "whizzy" brakes.

Good luck,

GTRider

·
Registered
424 Posts
The HoW has heaps of information regarding brake and clutch fluid change. Go to Hall of Wisdom>Flying Brick>Maintenance>Brake Systems. BMW revised their maintenance schedule and now recommend NOT bleeding the ABS pump unless it has been rebuilt, making the job much easier. :clap: Apart from a speed bleeder, no special tools required. A tip- Secure a tube of clear plastic like battery over flow tube to your speed bleeder, and run it into a bottle, preferably with a hole in the lid to accept the tube, so if it is knocked over, no spill occurs. Works well with two people. Good luck, it aint that hard. :teeth

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
flyingkiwi said:
The HoW has heaps of information regarding brake and clutch fluid change. Go to Hall of Wisdom>Flying Brick>Maintenance>Brake Systems. BMW revised their maintenance schedule and now recommend NOT bleeding the ABS pump unless it has been rebuilt, making the job much easier. :clap:
Now where did you find that Mr Kiwi? I have been following all the ABS threads on ADVRider, there is a lot of them, and the systems are quite similar, lots of those guys have found all sorts of crud in their ABS systems, even after flushing according to the BMW "procedure", which "procedure" they had to change/adapt to better flush theirs.....! :teeth

Hum....."Lifetime" Brake Fluid.....or do they have a large stock of them "Made in South Africa" modulators they want to sell..... :teeth

BMW is certainly not getting a good reputation these days with their constant changes in maintenance schedules, products to use etc.....and the fact they do not want to give reasons for the changes certainly does not help their credibility. :wtf:

Give us more details if you have any...you know where to find me, I could go :stir: somewhere else..... :thumb:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Whatever!!! :) My trusty mechanic in Wellington "said" no need to bleed all the front and rear (three of each) bleeders (just the system filler adapter) as the fresh fluid mixes with, and dilutes the "old" fluid left in the ABS pump. With fluid changed annually, this is "apparently" satisfactory. I feel I am opening a discussion I'd rather not have as there may well be much criticism of what I've been told. :dunno: However, the information/advice came from a highly regarded BMW authorised dealer, and I have no reason to doubt him - read I trust him :clap: I am sure there are expert opinions out there (Dunno why, but Vox springs to mind :) ) that could give me an excellent reason why all the bleeders need to be bled.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
You may have flushing and bleeding confused...flushing is just a way of changing out the fluid by pushing out the old while the new is introduced with no air , and yes it will mix...bleeding is when for what ever reason air gets into the system making it a must do to bleed. What I do is once a year I drain the wheel circuits at the grub screws while adding fluid to the reservoirs. At each oil change I suck out the reservoirs and replace with new..and exercise the abs on sand or wet road...88,000 miles and no problems. All that talk about pumps,suckers,valves, hoses, gauges,bla bla bla is not necessary as long as you keep air out.How often do you flush and bleed your car brake system?...Me? never...250000 miles the fluid is black and works great and use a lot more brake in a car than you will ever use on a bike :teeth

·
Registered
437 Posts
flush brakes-tampabay eurosports

i just did a complete brake flush and clutch fluid flush on my '04 kgt. this time, tired of fighting with wrenches and speedbleeders, i handed my credit card to tampabay eurosports and they charged $241 to my acct. they also washed my bike for that price. smartest thing i ever did. they have a new service manager there(jeff?) and are quite thorough and professional. plus, i think the price was fair for all the work involved.

i still want to do the easy stuff myself, fluids, gas filters, etc. it's just the last time i did a brake flush myself, it was a royal PITA.

choose your poison, fellas..................$240 to a dealer or a day's hassle and frustration in a hot garage. your nickel.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
billbeemer said:
i just did a complete brake flush and clutch fluid flush on my '04 kgt. this time, tired of fighting with wrenches and speedbleeders, i handed my credit card to tampabay eurosports and they charged $241 to my acct. they also washed my bike for that price. smartest thing i ever did. they have a new service manager there(jeff?) and are quite thorough and professional. plus, i think the price was fair for all the work involved.

i still want to do the easy stuff myself, fluids, gas filters, etc. it's just the last time i did a brake flush myself, it was a royal PITA.

choose your poison, fellas..................$240 to a dealer or a day's hassle and frustration in a hot garage. your nickel.
That sounds fair...just the cost of a rear tire..they did clutch also?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
flyingkiwi said:
Whatever!!! :) My trusty mechanic in Wellington "said" no need to bleed all the front and rear (three of each) bleeders (just the system filler adapter) as the fresh fluid mixes with, and dilutes the "old" fluid left in the ABS pump. With fluid changed annually, this is "apparently" satisfactory. I feel I am opening a discussion I'd rather not have as there may well be much criticism of what I've been told. :dunno: However, the information/advice came from a highly regarded BMW authorised dealer, and I have no reason to doubt him - read I trust him :clap: I am sure there are expert opinions out there (Dunno why, but Vox springs to mind :) ) that could give me an excellent reason why all the bleeders need to be bled.
Yes, that is what the GS guys were doing, flushing the ABS through the brake circuit, then finding crud later inside the modulator when doing a full flush. That's why I said they had to modify the procedure.....to include a full ABS flush. :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm with BAK on this one. We run our ABS equipped cars for decades, use the brakes heaps, and NEVER change the fluid. :confused: A point I missed in my last post, is that regularly activating the ABS is good to keep it all working - so I have been advised :dunno: Obviously, if air has entered the system then all bleeders will need to be bled of air. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
flyingkiwi said:
The HoW has heaps of information regarding brake and clutch fluid change. Go to Hall of Wisdom>Flying Brick>Maintenance>Brake Systems. BMW revised their maintenance schedule and now recommend NOT bleeding the ABS pump unless it has been rebuilt, making the job much easier. :clap: Apart from a speed bleeder, no special tools required. A tip- Secure a tube of clear plastic like battery over flow tube to your speed bleeder, and run it into a bottle, preferably with a hole in the lid to accept the tube, so if it is knocked over, no spill occurs. Works well with two people. Good luck, it aint that hard. :teeth
I can confirm that what kiwi is saying is TRUE, as I just finished conversing with a certified BMW motorrad mechanic. Apparently, there is absolutely no need to touch the ABS pump unless air has been introduced into the system. What BAK04GT does once a year is probably sufficient: drain the wheel circuits at the grub screws while adding fluid to the reservoirs once a year. Done.

I also highly doubt that the "crud" found inside the modulator can be sufficiently flushed out anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts