BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2006 K1200GT a few months ago (30K miles), rode it back from FL to Richmond, VA. Within 50 miles of my departure I had rapid flashing 'Brake Failure' lights and the red triangle. After a stop at Jax BMW dealer (no codes were read) I continued north and made Richmond with the warning flashing half the time. Have used my GS-911 several times. I got fault 24971 showing as present ...pressure too high in front wheel circuit. Chatted with svc mgr at my local dealer (Morton's) - suggested I check pads and fluid lever in ABS reservoirs. All OK and replaced all pads as they were looking worn. Presently NOT riding the bike as it sometimes has power assist and sometimes not. Very annoying to ride, if not dangerous.

Option #1: I've been in touch with Module Masters and am on the waiting list. They tell me 'later this year' and I checked in this afternoon - they still do not have the new motors from somewhere? Once received they need to check them out and start working thru the wait list. $750 charge to rebuild with a 5-year warranty. The repair of this ABS III has been 'under development' for a long time.

My other options are

2. Let my local dealer perform an ABS-delete, retaining the electronic part to keep the speedo and cruise working. They estimate about $1000 to do this as they expect to need at least one new brake line. They claim that they have done many of these procedures for riders who cannot afford new units.

3. A local 'independent local mechanic', who just did another BMW ABS-extraction. Assures me he can do it with existing brake lines, keep electronics, etc. He tells me he would charge about $200. I'd prefer to have a single front line instead of 'pieced together' connections. I expect he will comply.

While I would like to have ABS brakes on this very distance-capable bike I'm not getting a good feeling from MM about a target date. And I'd still have an overly complex and sensitive system which could crap out at any time. Worst case - being left with NO brakes, or on-again / off-again power assist.

Comment welcome - trying to decide which route makes the most sense.

Stuart

·
Registered
86 Posts
do a search on K1300 ABS, there's a simple video explaining how to fix it yourself. Whilst you may not feel comfortable doing it, there will be plenty of people who do fix them guaranteed for life for half the price u quoted. If you go the main dealer route he will charge $2000 to $3000 to supply the same faulty trash you already have and it will be dead in 7 years.

This is the UK lot that did mine on my GS BMW K1200 ABS (Pump & ECU/Module Combined)

this failure is std on any vehicle with ABS its called designed to fail.

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
372 Posts
ABS unit on a 2006 K12GT is much different than K1300's. The '06 models had the whizzy brakes. If you are brave try the ABS delete (I wouldn't want to try to stop a K bike running at triple digits without good brakes).

·
Registered
86 Posts
ABS unit on a 2006 K12GT is much different than K1300's. The '06 models had the whizzy brakes. If you are brave try the ABS delete (I wouldn't want to try to stop a K bike running at triple digits without good brakes).
yes I was wondering that.... but he said he has ABS11 (2) which is the later type using on most GS's and the K1300s

·
Registered
86 Posts
yes I was wondering that.... but he said he has ABS11 (2) which is the later type used on most GS's and the K1300s

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To clarify - I have the iABS (ABS III) 'whizzy' brakes. This system only used on 2006-2008 K1200s (I think). Older and newer systems are simpler and Module Master has been rebuilding other systems for years, and for much le$$.

The rebuild of this system has been 'under development' (for years?) but they are now on the verge of doing them.

Don't know exactly WHEN they will get to me on the waiting list, and I've decided to leave the bike parked until I resolve this issue, one way or another. It alternates between having power assist and not which can be unnerving if not dangerous.

The old school guys say 'shit can it' and just have normal brakes, which is very appealing. Until a deer jumps out and I grab the brakes. More thoughtful people telling me to wait and keep the ABS.

Stuart

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
372 Posts
If you bought the bike a few months ago, I would just bite the bullet and buy an ABS unit. You might be able to find one on eBay, but that's just taking a chance on another older unit. You can try beemerboneyard.com, they sometimes have units for sale.

·
Registered
677 Posts
If you bought the bike a few months ago, I would just bite the bullet and buy an ABS unit. You might be able to find one on eBay, but that's just taking a chance on another older unit. You can try beemerboneyard.com, they sometimes have units for sale.
+1

I wouldn't want to use my GT without ABS. It's too fast, too heavy and the plastic bodywork costs a lot to fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There were four reasons I bought a used BMW K1200GT (03):
1. ABS brakes,
2. Excellent suspension,
3. Drive shaft, and
4. Cruise control.
If any Japanese sport touring cycle had that in 2007 I likely would have bought one of their cycles.
Why ride a BMW without ABS? It makes no sense to me. In fact, why ride a street cycle, or a street passenger vehicle today without ABS? It's simply the best way, and the safest way to stop a vehicle/cycle.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The difference is "Servo Assist". The GT's and Rs both have it. The "S" bikes do not. They are bear bones ABS (the sane form). I have an "S" Bike, keep fresh fluide in it and keep after the system. I haven't had any trouble with it yet.

I've noticed that many Servo Assist owners do remove the feature when it fails to avoid the expense and aggravation. I haven't watched it myself, having not encountered the problem but I've seen there is a clip on YouTube showing how to do it.

Personally, the idea of Power Brakes (which is what Servo Assist is) on a motorcycle is completely ridiculous and I wouldn't buy a bike that had it in the first place; same goes for all that complicated Ride Control. The factory only comes up with this kind of silly shit to out do the Japanese. I think a simpler more reliable system would be much more welcomed.

BTW, even with the bear bones version, your ABS is a little more complicated then most owners realize. Not only is the system monitoring for traction lose, it's proportioning about 30% application to the rear wheel when you apply front brake only. It's always an education when riders who never apply their rear brakes find they have worn out the rear pads anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After my last call with Module Masters ("we're waiting for the servo motors to arrive" - their line for SEVERAL YEARS) - I decided to ABS-delete. MM has been rebuilding the other ABS models routinely, and for $200-350, but this power-assisted model has been elusive.

On my bike, the brake system alternated between assist and residual brakes, a stark difference without any warning. The bike was really un-rideable.

So we carefully marked all the tubes and connections, took a few photos, and then drilled out the special 'security' bolts which mated the hydraulic section to the control section. The cable was reconnected to retain speedo and cruise control functions. The bottom part with motors and solenoids is stored away on my shelf. No, I didn't 'shit-can' it. All existing lines were simply re-routed and reconnected to give standard brakes. The front brake is 'two finger' sensitive, very satisfactory.

I am still on Module Master's waiting list, and when they alert me that they are ready to rebuild, I will send them both parts of the ABS module. I agree that the ABS is a valuable feature and will look forward to having it again on the K-bike. If wet roads are anticipated I will opt to ride my Yamaha FJR or BMW R1200RT-P, both of which have functioning ABS.

Stuart

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not only is the system monitoring for traction lose, it's proportioning about 30% application to the rear wheel when you apply front brake only. It's always an education when riders who never apply their rear brakes find they have worn out the rear pads anyway.
my GS with ABS11 did the usual failure and I was shocked how dangerous it was without it working.

I ride hard and have always braked late and never had an issue riding up to the limit and occasionally past it and getting off the brakes quick for 30 years. But the failure on the GS was alarming, it gave up stopping and would lock either end far too easily. I had planned to leave it and fix when the winter came... but it was so dangerous I took it off and sent for repair when I got home.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I did the delete on my first gen K1200GT and have zero regrets. I will require you re-learn how to use the rear brake, but I’m old school and firmly believe you should already know that anyway. I like the lack of whizzy noise, and the peace of mind that this very expensive & complicated component can’t fail and leave me stranded.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, i also ride a K1200GT with the wizzy abs servo unit. The same thing happened to me, one moment abs, next moment nothing, with the flashing abs light. Also became intermitted, and now the servo keeps making that wizzy noise, even when not braking. Really annoying. For me, i am going to try and go the old school way instead.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used to be a BMW tech on the east coast. I came from riding an R80 for years thinking it was the best thing since sliced bread, which it is, MANUAL EVERYTHING, I thought. But once I started riding the ABS bikes my opinion really changed. I realized that while you can stop a bike with good ole fashion cables, why not use hydraulics, and while you can stop a bike with good ole fashion hydraulics, why not use ABS? The reality is that the newest bikes are insanely fast and are MADE to be stopped with ABS. After riding hundreds of customers bikes I began to see patterns in different generations of ABS and see how the newest bikes literally don’t “know” how to stop without the ABS kicking in if you are doing anything more than putting around. They have these tiny discs and tiny pads for these huge wheels and monster engines. I currently have a K75S without ABS and I’m selling it. I don’t want a bike without it. Every time the industry moves forward, people bitch and complain because they don’t feel like they are riding the bike they had when they were a teenager. I used to hear it from the customers at the shop ALL THE TIME, since BMW is constantly updating their tech (which is about a decade behind their cars btw). I just always thought to myself, why why don’t you just go by that old bike you used to have and deal with the nightmare of maintaining it, I’ll see more money!

Anyhow, deleting ABS is a bad idea. If the bike has it (with the exception of the first generation where the ABS and nonABS systems were identical), it should work and you should actually be trying to engage it all the time.

I would get a refurbished unit and put it in myself. Then take it to the shop and have them cycle and bleed it. Not a hard job at all, I think it’s billed for less than half a day to replace the whole thing, can’t quite remember tho.

Good luck!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have to beg to differ with you Insider. I've seen all the complaints here about braking and just about everybody likes their ABS and would like to keep it if economically feasible. Servo Assist, on the other hand is exactly as I've stated in other posts here; It's Techno Gimicrey cooked up with no more purpose then to sell bikes to Computer Cubical Dwellers who they know will bite on that shit and to intimidate the Japanese bike industry into constantly following BMW.

I just spent 2 years riding with a young guy who bought an '06 K 1200 R with Servo Assist. After working on it constantly and spending ridiculous amounts of money on it, I couldn't talk him into eliminating the circuit and just going with the ABS because he got so tired of it, he sold the bike outright and went back some Japanese thing.

That kid is not coming back to Beemer any time soon if ever. What should concern us all the most is that BMW very likely doesn't gives a damn. They have voiced the possibility of closing the Bike line altogether more then once. They just don't need to bother with it because they are making money hand over fist building cars. I think they view it as a damn hobby.

·
Registered
5 Posts
“Servo Assist, on the other hand is exactly as I've stated in other posts here; It's Techno Gimicrey cooked up with no more purpose then to sell bikes to Computer Cubical Dwellers who they know will bite on that shit”

I actually totally agree with you. In my previous post I wasn’t really trying to defend BMW’s choices. They definitely stooped to the kind of pandering that you illustrated. I used to have to deal with those guys (typically 35-50 year old engineers who were horrified of their bikes AND thought they could repair them better than I). My point is that one shouldn’t go about mucking with these systems, just don’t buy the bike in the first place if you don’t want ABS or can’t figure out how to repair it in your own. I’m mean let’s be honest, BMWs aren’t the best bikes out there, they are just better than some. There are plenty of options and I hate riding a bike that is always flashing some warning at me. I would probably do the same thing your buddy did, try to fix it and if I couldn’t, I’d sell it. I’d buy a KTM though! 😁

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
372 Posts
I rode a 2005 1200RT for 10 years with servo brakes. Never had a problem with them and it was the quickest stopping bike I ever rode. It just took a little while to get used to the brakes. As for Japanese bikes, it took a while to stop my Turbo when running at 170mph.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I used to be a BMW tech on the east coast. I came from riding an R80 for years thinking it was the best thing since sliced bread, which it is, MANUAL EVERYTHING, I thought. But once I started riding the ABS bikes my opinion really changed. I realized that while you can stop a bike with good ole fashion cables, why not use hydraulics, and while you can stop a bike with good ole fashion hydraulics, why not use ABS? The reality is that the newest bikes are insanely fast and are MADE to be stopped with ABS. After riding hundreds of customers bikes I began to see patterns in different generations of ABS and see how the newest bikes literally don’t “know” how to stop without the ABS kicking in if you are doing anything more than putting around. They have these tiny discs and tiny pads for these huge wheels and monster engines. I currently have a K75S without ABS and I’m selling it. I don’t want a bike without it. Every time the industry moves forward, people bitch and complain because they don’t feel like they are riding the bike they had when they were a teenager. I used to hear it from the customers at the shop ALL THE TIME, since BMW is constantly updating their tech …
with ABS I agree, (somehow BMs don't work right without it) but on the 6 axis garbage turning off the engine at any possible opportunity no.
I had a 2018 adventure with all the toys and it was so slow it was unpleasant to ride... because the bike decided at almost every opportunity when I opened the throttle it decided to close it.... even in enduro pro it liked to get on the action and even when the front wheel was on the way down after the engine had run out of puff it still needed to do a machine gun job on the rear brake pedal to stop the bike moving forward...

So I threw it in the skip where it belongs and happily ride an air cooled GS where the throttle is linked to the back wheel by my more responsive, more accurate brain.

Oh and the K1300GT is impossible to ride unless its in sport for much the same reason. I have to suffer stiff suspension when I don't want it so the throttle is connected to the back wheel. Its going soon... as is any BM in my life, DTF electronically infected rubbish

·
Registered
677 Posts
Botus,

What are you on about? Electronics that alter engine power based on things like lean angle and wheel slip are bad? Please, get real. This is how it's done now. Get over it. With huge horsepower at the rear wheel, folks would be sliding off the road without electronic controls. Take a look at how it's done in MotoGP as an extreme example. Ask those riders to do without multi-axis-sensor based engine control, ha!

Sure, the BMW road bike implementations have problems and the hardware and software have sucked and stuff breaks. Blinding flash of the obvious. The K12-13 series was a bit of a dead end engineering wise, we all know that now.

Apologies, if I am misunderstanding your recent rants. Very entertaining stuff!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts