BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My first post . I have recently bought a 2007 1200GT. 70000kms. Good condition in general. Now this bike is quite old, the suspension ESA adjustment works only for preload and does not seem to work for damping (comfort, sport etc). I can hear the damper motors making a noise front and rear when I toggle the level on the handlebar, but it makes no difference to the ride, which remains harsh. I cannot afford to replace the suspension units, and even removing them to get them serviced looks challenging (expensive). Is there a way to change the damping manually to "hack" this issue without having to take the units out of the bike. I don't mind doing this just once only and so long as it is is just more comfortable.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've never heard of a hack for the suspension. You bought an expensive bike, you have to live with the costs. Sad but true; same gamble as all the rest of us on K12s and K13s. There are aftermarket shock/suspension solutions and there are a very few shops that will rebuild the stock stuff.

Your bike isn't really that "old" for a BMW, but it may be unlikely for it to see the miles that the classic BMWs (R bikes, and the first K series) could rack up. Time will tell.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeh fair enough. I took the fairings off the other day. There is a lot of complexity in there! In a way for the money I paid I got a helluva lot of bike.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
366 Posts
There is a shop that can rebuild them in New Jersey. Yes, you are correct it takes 5 hours to remove both shocks if you have some practice. Tools to do it will need to be purchased. The Factory service manual DVD is needed as there are many details that are important. The tools and dvd will be 2 or 3 hundred bucks depending on what you own already. It is a complicated job and not particularly easy. The shock rebuild is 1500$. There is no way to crack into the software and make them something you can use. Another alternative is to buy some standard shocks for about 6 yo 800$ and install them yourself.
If you PM me i'll give you my email address and you can ask for the 21 page document from Ibmw.com called Wilbers install. It shows how to do the job and special tools along with pitfalls. beech
It is a word document I cut and pasted years back, I can not get it to load here.
ps you did buy an expensive bike to work on and own. But it is fast when running.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi. My first post . I have recently bought a 2007 1200GT. 70000kms. Good condition in general. Now this bike is quite old, the suspension ESA adjustment works only for preload and does not seem to work for damping (comfort, sport etc). I can hear the damper motors making a noise front and rear when I toggle the level on the handlebar, but it makes no difference to the ride, which remains harsh. I cannot afford to replace the suspension units, and even removing them to get them serviced looks challenging (expensive). Is there a way to change the damping manually to "hack" this issue without having to take the units out of the bike. I don't mind doing this just once only and so long as it is is just more comfortable.
I have a 2007 K1200GT that had the same issue but was not aware of a shop in New Jersey that will rebuild them. I bought a set of Wilber shocks from Germany through the Beemer Shop in Santa Cruz, CA and had them installed at a non-dealer BMW shop in Seattle. It's expensive, but I'm very satisfied with the shocks and their performance. I'm not aware of any ways to hack into the system or to manually dampen the suspension. This can be done to dampen the new Wilbers however.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 2007 K1200GT that had the same issue but was not aware of a shop in New Jersey that will rebuild them. I bought a set of Wilber shocks from Germany through the Beemer Shop in Santa Cruz, CA and had them installed at a non-dealer BMW shop in Seattle. It's expensive, but I'm very satisfied with the shocks and their performance. I'm not aware of any ways to hack into the system or to manually dampen the suspension. This can be done to dampen the new Wilbers however.
Can you remember how much you paid for the shocks and how much for the install?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can you remember how much you paid for the shocks and how much for the install?
Hi
Appreciate that you are in the States and I am in England - but I have front and rear ESA shocks off a 2008 bike that I have had serviced / rebuilt. I thought that they would fit my 1300GT - but they don't - so I am looking to sell them for the price of the rebuild - let me know if you'r interested and can investigate practicalities.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi
Appreciate that you are in the States and I am in England - but I have front and rear ESA shocks off a 2008 bike that I have had serviced / rebuilt. I thought that they would fit my 1300GT - but they don't - so I am looking to sell them for the price of the rebuild - let me know if you'r interested and can investigate practicalities.
mmm. Interesting. Tight on cash right now. I am in NZ, Auckland. How much you thinking of?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi
Just looked at shipping costs which seem to be around £100 (UPS) - I was looking for £300 for both shocks (that is how much the servicing / rebuild cost - so in effect the original shocks are free. Also - the import process to New Zealand looks a bit complicated - you might know more about that than I do!
Surprised at the shipping cost - that may make it nonviable - but on the other hand you are getting 2 ESA shocks in as new condition for around £400.
The rear shock on my K1300gt had seized rock solid and spring cracked - was debating about whether to replace it with an aftermarket non-ESA shock, like a Nitron for around the same price as the rebuild cost (needed a new spring and rod so was more expensive than standard service). The guys at Firefox Racing reckoning I'd be better off with rebuild and the ESA functionality - so that's what I did with that one - it's working really well now.
Let me know if this is of any interest and I'll send you some photos and part numbers - can also send the invoice for the rebuild which was done by www.mctsuspension.co.uk

·
Registered
176 Posts
Mots... you put $2100 into a bike worth... how much? Seems a little unbalanced, not that I might not do the same for my 2010 K1300GT. Knock wood, I won't have to.

I stopped at Ted Porter's shop 4 years ago a few weeks after I got the bike, 2-up with wife, and spoke with Ted for almost an hour. I was impressed by his knowledgeable attitude and friendly presentation, and that he'd take that time for a total stranger right off the street, just passing through, and living a LONG distance away... Honolulu Hawaii.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi
Just looked at shipping costs which seem to be around £100 (UPS) - I was looking for £300 for both shocks (that is how much the servicing / rebuild cost - so in effect the original shocks are free. Also - the import process to New Zealand looks a bit complicated - you might know more about that than I do!
Surprised at the shipping cost - that may make it nonviable - but on the other hand you are getting 2 ESA shocks in as new condition for around £400.
Hi Mart75. Thanks for this. Sorry about the late reply. Sounds like a fair price. That translates to about 800NZD before installation. I just cant quite afford that unfortunately. Maybe if you still have them for sale at some future date I could consider this. Cheers, mate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Mart75. Thanks for this. Sorry about the late reply. Sounds like a fair price. That translates to about 800NZD before installation. I just cant quite afford that unfortunately. Maybe if you still have them for sale at some future date I could consider this. Cheers, mate.
Keen to proceed now. Do you still have these?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts