BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm currently working on my bike. I've just checked the valve clearance and am replacing the cam chain. However, to keep it short, I've managed to offset the crankshaft during the process and the timing is out!

Really angry at myself for making such a silly mistake!

This is what I'm doing now:

Using the markings on the cam wheels/sprocket, I've aligned the cams to TDC1 as per Reprom CD. The I in the U thingy and the 2 lines parallel to the engine.
To set the crank, I'm using a size 5 drill bit in the opening just to the left of the crankshaft wheel. The Reprom CD says that this sets the engine to TDC. I've checked the piston using a pencil and appears to be at TDC.

When turning over the engine manually, I'm getting interference between valves/pistons.

I haven't removed the camshafts as yet (I haven't the special tool to do so). But, thinking I may have to as I find it hard to correctly align the cams due to lack of visibility.

I have ordered the crank locking tool but haven't received it yet. I was wondering if this tool can be used for setting the crankshaft?

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reading!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well both cams, inlet and exhaust, has both the "I" and the "U". Which is cam has which marking lined up?

·
Registered
286 Posts
The locking tool is of no help for you.

How much did you mive the crank after removing the chain? And why did you move it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well both cams, inlet and exhaust, has both the "I" and the "U". Which is cam has which marking lined up?
Hi Mattias,

Thanks for your response ;) Well, I have set the intake to the I and the exhaust to the U as explained in the Reprom CD. In theory, this should correspond to TDC1.

Ok for the locking tool. I moved the crank by mistake when installing the new sprocket and chain. Can't say much more except that, yes, I'm a prat and shouldn't have!

I'm using a size 5 drill bit through a hole in the casing, just to the left of the crankshaft to set the crankshaft to what I believe to be TDC1. Although I've installed the tensioner and guides, when turning the engine by hand, it looks as if my chain is slipping. I'll be having another look later on today to confirm.

·
Registered
286 Posts
If the cams where set to tdc and not been moved, you only need to pull the plugs on cyl 1 and 4 and turn the crank to set them at tdc, verify with a rod through the plug holes, then install chain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi!

Thanks for youy help Mattias ;) and good news, the problem is resolved and the bike is running! And sounds a lot better with a new chain, sprocket and guides ;)

So, I can confirm that the hole next to the crankshaft sprocket is used to set the engine to TDC1 with a 5mm drill bit. The noise I was hearing was coming from the top chain guide hitting the casing because of chain slack in spite of having the tensioner installed.

The engine was fine after all....

·
Registered
286 Posts
Tensioner probably empty of oil. Started my bike yesterday for the first time since chainrenewal, sounded like a rattlecan model xxl. Went away when full oilpressure was reached, now it is quieter than ever before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts