BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Z-Technic V-Stream on a "new-to-me" 2006 K1200GT.
Looking for that "perfect" windshield.
What is the best/most popular windshield for a taller rider?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Aeroflow

Reactions: Meese

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
to gain perspective, how tall are you and is your saddle in the hi or lo position
I'm 6-3 saddle with high to mitigate the saddle slope forward

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Go with the AeroFlow Tall screen for the K12/13GT to reduce back pressure and minimize helmet buffeting.

Add the AeroWings to widen the calm air bubble and reduce buffeting on your shoulders/arms/hands.

·
Registered
68 Posts

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Did you have the clear or smoked AeroWings?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Just to add to my Aerflow recommendation, I have been down in Florida in the heat, and took off the big Aeroflow and reinstalled the stock tall shield to get more airflow. It sucked. The wind blast was so bad I didn't want to ride at all. Then, I recalled that when I first bought the bike I was amazed at how uncomfortable it was on the move. I bought the Aeroflow in a few weeks, added the AeroGuards (smoked) to get the breeze off my shoulders - and never looked back until last week.

I'm getting ready for a long tour and look forward to the ride.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mine came with the electric windshield and there's days I would rather not have anything at all. But the thing moves in three dimensions, not just up and down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have the Cee Bailey 28" on my 2009 GT. it's ok, but i don't like it in the rain. water hits me from underneath the windshield. it doesn't matter what position i have it in. maybe it's just how the GT deflects the wind. i have the stock one too, but i haven't put it on since i bought the bike..
i had an AeroFlow on my RT and i was real happy with it.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I have a tall Aeroflow windscreen (Aeroscreen) and Aerogard side deflectors on my 2007 K1200GT.

AeroFlow Corp K1300GT & K1200GT '06-on Products
AeroFlow Corp.

FYI: K1200GT and K1300GT models use Aerogards (no "u"). K1600GT(L) use Aerowings.

When raised, the Aeroscreen creates a silent bubble of still air for the rider. There is almost no annoying back pressure at full height, and none at any other height. It is unbelievably quiet. It is so quiet that people who call my mobile do not realize that I am riding at 80 mph - they think that I am in the office. The Aeroscreen and Aerogards have enabled me to ride in temperatures in the low 20s (F) on many different occasions.

I replaced the Allen bolts that come with the Aerogards with their matching torx equivalents. I sometimes remove the Aerogards in summer to get more air, but I leave the bolts and rubber washers on the bike, ready for re-installation. The rest of the Aerogards snap on using 3M Dual Lock (like velcro, only stronger). Two bolts, then snap/snap and they are on or off.

Forget any other options. I HIGHLY recommend Aeroflow.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey guys, have you seen this site ? https://www.motorcyclescreens.eu/motorcycle-windscreens-windshields-bmw/32-touring-windscreen-windshield-bmw-k-1200-gt I'm looking for a touring windshield to my K 1200 GT and this offer looks encouraging. What is your experience with touring windshields and with this site ?

the stock screen is terrible, I have a z technik tallest one on my GS and its a total transformation and well worth the crazy money.... but when I put the tallest z technik on the k1300GT its only fractionally better than the BMW joke (and not worth buying), only good point is I'd not care about the silly speed limit they suggest, with all the luggage it does 140 mph no issues without any hint of why they say don't go over 110...

But basically both it or the stock screen are a mess at any speed any height. The one you found in the picture looks good but no idea how it'll work

·
Registered
405 Posts
My K1200GT had two screens. One for most of the time (Cee Bailey short) and another tall one for long trips (more protection). Most everyone looking to create a quiet pocket behind the screen without buffeting or back pressure never seemed to find the right combination. For me, the short screen turned out to be really good---I liked my head to be entirely above the screen so I get "clean airflow". With the power screen adjustment on the KGT, if it rained I'd just jack it up.

My 2 cents.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm with Mike M. I enjoy a shorter screen and prefer to let my helmet do the work. I sold my Cal-Sci XL screen and bought one of their tinted shortys. World of difference, it's just like riding my FZ1s.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
have to say a short one might be best.

I got an old bike out on the roads after 5 years sat in the garage (vx800)... first bike without any screen / fairing at all I've ridden for years... the total calm, noise free and non buffering ride is remarkable.

at anything below 80mph its light years better.... just peace. On a K1300 Gt, its buffeting like someone kicking you in the head every few milliseconds and no ability to ride with your visor open unless under 25mph

·
Registered
19 Posts
have to say a short one might be best.

I got an old bike out on the roads after 5 years sat in the garage (vx800)... first bike without any screen / fairing at all I've ridden for years... the total calm, noise free and non buffering ride is remarkable.

at anything below 80mph its light years better.... just peace. On a K1300 Gt, its buffeting like someone kicking you in the head every few milliseconds and no ability to ride with your visor open unless under 25mph
You need to try that short screen from Cal-Sci, it's a game changer. Let me know if you need any measurements.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts