BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The physics of propelling a 1.5-ounce golf ball are very different from accelerating a 4,000lb BMW M5, or a 522lb BMW K1200R motorbike. The golf ball achieves its highest speed as it leaves the face of the club (up to 190 miles an hour with a driver) and then slows as its travels through the air. The 507 horsepower BMW M5 can rocket from a standing start to 62mph (100km/h) in just 4.7 seconds, while the 163 horsepower BMW K1200R motorbike needs just 2.8 seconds to reach this speed. Unlike the slowing golf ball, the car and the bike keep accelerating under the thrust of their powerful engines.

But, is it enough to outpace a golf ball? When this intriguing experiment was conducted in Germany last year, Poulter and Zietlow used a sand wedge, a 6-iron and a driver. The high, relatively short flight of the sand wedge saw the motorbike beat the golf ball against both players. Poulter’s shot went 113 yards against the bike’s 153 yards, while Zietlow’s ball flew 101 yards against the bike’s 174 yards. The car achieved 98 yards against Poulter’s shot and 50 yards against Zietlow’s.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
i guess it was alot of money and timeto provide us with a "perspective" of how fast these bikes really are. that is if you have ever played golf.

i thought it was interesting in a strange way, but i would not have volunteered to conduct the experiment myself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Actually, the golf ball continues to accelerate for quite some time even after leaving the face of the club. Same thing with a bullet leaving a gun barrel...Muzzle velocity is less than peak velocity. It is a physics problem and has to do with ball deformity, and those little indentations on the ball. As for out accelerating a golf ball, I would not volunteer to sit in front of a Tiger Woods tee drive in the hopes that my KR could outpace it ! :yeow:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts