BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

K1200R Insurance

7K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  cornelius 
#1 ·
Got a quote from Allstate recently: $1145 USD 1st year, then it's reduced but she didn't know by how much. Apparently Allstate does not insure bikes anymore so they sub it out to another carrier. Seems awfully high to me. What are you guys paying?

#2 ·
lcgio said:
Got a quote from Allstate recently: $1145 USD 1st year, then it's reduced but she didn't know by how much. Apparently Allstate does not insure bikes anymore so they sub it out to another carrier. Seems awfully high to me. What are you guys paying?
Try State Farm Insurance. I'm paying about $225 for 6 months full coverage. Sounds a bit high to me. Keep shopping around.;)

#3 ·
KR insurance

I'm paying $542/year full coverage for my '06 K200R in Monterey, CA with a $250 deductable through GMAC. Includes $1200 (or something like that) gear/accessory replacement and uninsured/underinsured motorist. The limits escape me at the moment, but there not the minimum...

#4 · (Edited)
Full coverage Im paying $264/yr, $1k deductible,

USAA
(6mo premium)
Bodily Injury 25,000/50,000 Limit per person/per accident $ 25.89
Property Damage 25,000 Limit per accident $ 29.50
Uninsured Motorists Bodily Injury 25,000/50,000 Limit per person/per accident $ 22.65
Comprehensive $ 8.08
Collision $ 46.02

#5 ·
progressive

call progressive, i pay $304 per/yr. for my kgt and they add $75 more to add my '97 sporty. they give a discount for the second bike realizing u cant ride 2 bikes at the same time. call them, they also have a good roadside assistance included. keep that in mind since bmw is closing so many stores..........

#6 ·
Find an "independent" agent and have them do the leg work...then double check their numbers against your own quotes from the same companies. Also, raise your deductable to the highest amount you can stomach. I am 29 years old, single, clean record and I pay $300 a year, $1k deductable for my 04 gt with full coverage, plus additional p.i. with progressive. If i would have gone with an RS, it would have been around $500 a year with somebody else. How many points do you have?

#7 ·
I am paying much more than you guys. I pay just a little less than $900. for full coverage for my GT. I do not have passenger insurance. Don't need if you are only riding wit family members. I have $1000. deductable and as of today have a perfect driving record. I have been riding bikes on road for more than 30 years with no claims in. I can only think that the rate is high because I carry high coverage.

#8 ·
If you have the numbers handy, post them...my policy is pretty standard numbers wise (will have to look them up when i get home)...seems like an awful lot for no priors and your age. All to often people don't take the time to shop around insurance...they are banking on the fact you never will. this aint an ad for geico either :)

#9 ·
lcgio said:

Here are the "minimum" CA car limits
According to California car insurance regulations, you are required to have the following coverage:

Required Coverage
Liability:
Bodily Injury $15,000/$30,000
Property Damage $5,000

Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury $15,000/$30,000
(Can be waived in writing)
Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury

You may also want to add comprehensive and collision especially on a newer car

#10 ·
I'm definitely going to shop around. Pacific Speciality Ins.:
liability BI :100k-300k=$75
liability PD: 50k=$38
medical 1,000=$39
uninsured bi:30-60k=$160
uninsured pd/dr:3,500=$7.00
comprehensive $350,ded.=$68.
collision $350 ded.=$632. Total policy charge 1 year=$1050.80
No pts. clean record
Called Allstate because they insure our cars,home etc. Agent said they stopped insuring bikes because they couldn't keep track of all types and charged same price for 250cc-1200cc.

lcgio

#11 ·
Andy:
I don't have the policy handy at this time, later this evening I will take a look, however I can tell by the post that I am carrying much higher coverages. I have a million liability and I honestly can't remember the other limits.

#12 ·
Insurance varies so widely from one individual to the next these type of discussions are useless.

Today, most companies use credit to determine your rate and that only makes it more difficult.

A few generalities can be made.

Do carry the highest deductible you can afford.

Do make some attempt to understand the coverage you are purchasing or find an agent you trust and accept their recomendation.

Having all your business with the same company if possible or at least the same agency will allow the insurance agent to make sure there are no gaps in your coverage. If you later have a claim that is not covered, you will have recourse (agents E & O). If you are forced to use a different company for the bike, have your primary agent review your policy.

#13 ·
Sound advice from an expert, couldn't ask for more. Thank you. The "other" insurance agent is right next door to Allstate office. I'll have them write up a quote on the R and then run it by my primary agent. We have an excellent credit rating, though I don't understand what that has do with insurance costs, risk.

lcgio

#14 ·
Insurance companies are trying to find predictable ways to determine if your a "solid" guy. Since insurance commissioners only allow driving record to be considered for 3 years, even a "squirrely guy" could get lucky and stay clean in 3. The stronger the credit, the better the insurance risk.

Also, in the last 5 years companies have been comparing claim activity and the credit reports of those claimants. What they found is that those that tend to file frequent claims also have lower credit scores. A good example is the guy that will replace the roof on his home when it wears out rather than let it stay bad and end up having a claim after a hard rainstorm. The guy that can't afford a roof may also have poor credit.

There are always exceptions but even a bad driver with good credit will pay less than a bad driver with bad credit.

#15 ·
i've been shopping around for a good rate on my new K12R. Nationwide quoted me at $2000 with an absolutely flawless driving record. Progressive quoted $750 and Sentry (previously known as Dairylands) quoted $550. Has anyone used Sentry? And if so do you recommend their service? $550 is gonna be hard to pass up but I'd like to get a vote of confidence from other riders. Thanks.

#16 ·
chip4 said:
Here are the "minimum" CA car limits
According to California car insurance regulations, you are required to have the following coverage:

Required Coverage
Liability:
Bodily Injury $15,000/$30,000
Property Damage $5,000

Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury $15,000/$30,000
Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury

You may also want to add comprehensive and collision especially on a newer car
B/I 100/300
Prop 5000
uI 30/50
i have collision, but don't remember the limits but believe it is 100. these are the min reqd by my credit union/lien holder
i pay 218 bucks a year. USAA is pretty cheap. i bought another bike and they told me they no longer wrote their own policies and sent me to Foremost insurance. it was only 238 for a year for a 2003 Kawi Ninja zx636r. i have a 250 ded and far exceed the CA minimums, especially since i have the bmw financed. see if you can go through foremost. 1000 bucks a year is way toooooooooo much. i know guys who go through farmers ins and pay way less than that.

#17 ·
There are a lot of factors for motorcycle insurance in my experience. I pay $1100 a year to Allstate for full coverage on my K1200R, R1100S, and Aprilia SR50. Oh yeah and that's with 2 very unfortunate tickets. Just full coverage on the K1200R is something like $800, then there are heavy discounts for additional 2 wheelers. I'm of course a youngster which doesn't help the insurance costs at all. Let me put it this way though... A superbike like the GSX-R 1000 or even a Ninja 636RR is like $4000+ per year for full coverage insurance (collision is over $3000 or that). Those bikes are in the 'red zone' with the insurance goons. Even my old 1996 ZX-11 Kawasaki was quoted at $4200, of course the bike was only worth $4200. Whatever. I think BMWs are a bargain in insurance terms considering their cost to buy/repair as well as their performance.

#19 ·
lcgio said:
Allstate insures my two, an '01 H-D and an "07 K1200GT. I pay about $500 for both but that is because I have stacked the uninsured motorist coverage with my car coverage and I have over 30+ years of experience. You have to make sure you are getting comparable information. I have $500,000 single limit BI. I would suggest if you have any assets other than your motorcycle you have at least $100,000/$300,000 BI and then add an umbrella liability policy for at least $1,000,000. If you get sued over an accident $30,000 BI won't go far and judgments survive bankruptcy.

It's not about meeting the state required minimum, it is about protecting yourself and your future earning power.

#20 ·
johnnydanger said:
There are a lot of factors for motorcycle insurance in my experience. I pay $1100 a year to Allstate for full coverage on my K1200R, R1100S, and Aprilia SR50. Oh yeah and that's with 2 very unfortunate tickets. Just full coverage on the K1200R is something like $800, then there are heavy discounts for additional 2 wheelers. I'm of course a youngster which doesn't help the insurance costs at all. Let me put it this way though... A superbike like the GSX-R 1000 or even a Ninja 636RR is like $4000+ per year for full coverage insurance (collision is over $3000 or that). Those bikes are in the 'red zone' with the insurance goons. Even my old 1996 ZX-11 Kawasaki was quoted at $4200, of course the bike was only worth $4200. Whatever. I think BMWs are a bargain in insurance terms considering their cost to buy/repair as well as their performance.
very true with the danger zone thing. when i bought my 94 gsxr, my insurance company AAA, who farmed out their bike insurance, would not even take anything with "NINJA" written on it; therefore no ninja was considered. My insurance was cheap because of experience, low theft rate, and BMW riders are less likely to get nixxed or haul ass like the youngsters on these super sports.

#21 ·
chip4 said:

USAA
(6mo premium)
Uninsured Motorists Bodily Injury 25,000/50,000 Limit per person/per accident $ 22.65
Comprehensive $ 8.08
Collision $ 46.02

Are yousure that is with USAA? They told me last year that they do not insure bikes any more and shuffled me to Progressive "Drive" insurance as their "supplier". Liability-only is costing me $200 per year. I think this is high compared to those with collision and comprehensive for a relatively few dollars more.

#22 ·
chip4 said:

USAA
(6mo premium)
Comprehensive $ 8.08
Collision $ 46.02
I think you are fooling yourself calling 25/50 BI full coverage. My wife had a 5 mph collision in a parking garage 7 years ago and the other party would not settle and sued for $40,000!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.