BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about a radar detector mount for the K1200R since I bought the bike. I wanted something that was going to have good vision front and back as well as protected from the elements.

I already had a Hoon Hardware www.hoonhardware.com radar detector box. All I needed was a mounting solution. Checked my RAM parts bin and found something that I thought would work. This part I used in the mirror holes on my K1200LT using a bolt, a sleeve and the RAM flat base with ring for the bolt to go through and a RAM ball offset about an 1" out. Unscrewed the mirror from it's base, slipped the RAM part between the threaded hole and slipped the threaded mirror end back on and tightened everything up. Used a RAM short arm and attached the Hoon Hardware box to it.

Pictures below.

and

·
Registered
121 Posts
Nice ....

as I have been thinking on where to mount my 276C gps using a ram mount- I'll have to get on of those ram pieces that goes on the mirror. Was there a particular size or is it universal? Hmmmm...not sure about the weather enclsure for your radar dectector (which model, V1?) but it looks kinda bulky and out of place. I still thinking of something a little less visiable and out of the way for my V1- thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The RAM piece is universal. The Box will fit either the Valentine 1 or the Passport 8500 X50. Yes it is bulky, but that's for those days I venture out and rain might be a problem. Otherwise, I have a small platform that I could use with a RAM 3/8''-16 thread ball mounted to the platform. Then I would Velcro the detector to the platform. When bike is out of sight, I would remove the whole thing except the RAM base.

·
Registered
121 Posts
That sounds like the ticket

I'd like to see your "good weather" set up since I live in AZ- most days are "good weather" days! BTW is the site at the bottom of your sig line yours?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you for the post. I just learned about the Ram products and I was looking for more information about them. They seem to be less expensive than may of the alternatives so I want to make sure they are a good quality item. I think I will give them a try.

I did visit your site and bookmarked it and will be calling with an order soon.

Thanks again,
John Hoffner

·
Registered
461 Posts
I've got pics of my setup on another forum (sorry for the cross-posting, I'm too tired tonight to copy it over) . If you scroll down the page you will see the setup. I also list the RAM part numbers in the posts below. Feel free to ask questions here in this forum. Let me know if anyone has problems seeing the pics (I don't think you need to be a member to see them).

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64404&page=3

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.