BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else done any roll ons with some of the newer litre bikes on your K1200R?

While riding with some guys on sport bikes I've found that I can EASILY reel in a GSX 750. I can also at least match a Honda 1000RR. I'm no lightweight right now comming in at just under 210lbs. Trust me, that isn't it.

I've also just ridden with a couple of guys on a GSX 1000 K5 and a new Kawi 1000. They pulled away until I hit about 7 or 8 grand at which time they longer pulled away!!

I have a full Remus which is supposed to add about 11HP but even with that you would think I'm far short of being able to keep up with these guys. I've done it time and time again, however. Most of the time we were under 100 to start with (course that doesn't last long).

As long as the RPMs, for me, start over 6 no one seems to get away from me. Sometimes their bike's front end will come up and mine just shoots forward. Could be they can't use all of their power, not sure.

Anyone else tried this out?

·
Rider Journeyman
502 Posts
NakedRider said:
Anyone else done any roll ons with some of the newer litre bikes on your K1200R?

Anyone else tried this out?
Howdy Dave,

I don't think I've run up against any of the "hyper bikes" out on the road yet.

One the street, I have come across the occasional GSX-R but they seemed to be the smaller ones, 600-750cc. Street light runs with them.... 0-~90, the K-R flat out buried them. Like you, I'm no light weight, #260.

The guys I ride with tend to ride Italian and English litre bikes. In zero to 120, there's no comparison. The K-R is easily the quickest.

Regarding the hyper bikes, I think it would be close at lower speeds. I'd expect the K-R to keep up, or (gasp) possibly be a bit ahead of a Busa in the zero to 100, maybe even up to 120. Beyond those speeds, I would expect that the wind resistance would be too much on the K-R and the lower final gear that gave the K-R an advantage on the way up to triple digits would become a liability.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have to echo Bill here. As a "lightweight" :) (185lbs), nothing to date I have come across, from litre bikes to various sport bikes, have pulled away from me. Even when coming up on those bikes at speed, when they try to "impress" me, it turns out poorly for them.

That said, I am far from aggressive, and just like the power and styling. Not so much the racing on public streets aspect. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I started 2 threads recently on "drag racing a KR" and also "performance comparisions" in the KS forum. The performance comparisions can't take into account shaft drive losses or aerodynamic high speed losses but (dry weight + rider add on) divided by torque or Kw is a reasonable ball park comparision and should show relative roll on capability. The loss of 10-12kg and gain of 5-10kw or 2-5kg-m makes significant differences. A stripped down KR with light rider, Power Cup engine and good aerodynamics would be one seriously capable animal.

Cheers
Lenz

1 - 4 of 4 Posts