·
Registered
49 Posts
Like people aren't reporting the R as using up tires fast enough! :eek:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Reply to:
Does the engine just overpower the rear caliper, or do they disconnect the line and plug it?

Oh ya, like the back brake actually works on any of these. Just kidding of course. Love the bike but the back brake doesn't do anything more than hold it still at a stop light.

·
Registered
49 Posts
NakedRider said:
Oh ya, like the back brake actually works on any of these. Just kidding of course. Love the bike but the back brake doesn't do anything more than hold it still at a stop light.
Oh so they used the LT rear brake! :bmw: At least it doesn't squeel like the stock LT brake!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Press brake before starting

I read somewhere that if your start the bike with the brakes pressed it overrides the ABS/link, then you can just hold on to the front brakes and hit the throttle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You first! Then we'll all go right behind you... trust us... ;)

And by the way, I've hesitated to do any wheelies on the new R, for many reasons. One is that I'm not sure how the new-fangled front suspsension set-up will take it. I know one of the BMW ads shows a guy doing a wheelie, but I'm not sure I want to run with that as an example. After all, HE's not paying for the bike like I am!!

Any thoughts? (I mean, thoughts other than that I'm an idiot for wanting to pop wheelies in general. I know that already.)

·
Registered
764 Posts
The Answer !!

serg said:
I read somewhere that if your start the bike with the brakes pressed it overrides the ABS/link, then you can just hold on to the front brakes and hit the throttle.
Right - holding the brake lever when turning on and keeping it on will prevent ABS self-check. Know for sure that defeats the servo boost and most likely ABS. Guess it would also defeat the link feature but not certain.

Easy to check - With bike on center stand, turn key and start while holding the brake lever. Then try to spin the back tire with your foot. Gotta try that when my bike gets back from service.

When the linked brakes were introduced for the 2002 models, BMW posted a burn out picture and I never understood how they did it - think just you provided the explaination.

·
"Hey Y'all"
2,239 Posts
it could be done ...

allenclarkson said:
How is this done with partial linked brakes? Does the engine just overpower the rear caliper, or do they disconnect the line and plug it?
Even with linked brakes, max braking goes to the front. It would take very little effort to hold the bike from rolling. (We used to hold back 3000# cars doing burnouts in water at the drag strip. Two guys. Smoky as hell, but easy to do.)

Or the ABS could be defeated as mentioned in other post.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The way I read the BMW propaganda, the EVO system that distributes braking front and back is standard equipment (at least the R) regardless of ABS presence. I don't have ABS, but I can say I'm pleased with the brakes. The rear brake pedal has a lot of travel before it engages, so i don't know if I'm using it much the couple of times I really cranked down on the brakes, but I think I'm activating the rear via EVO.

However, this is not really clear no matter how carefully I read the "brochure" online, or even the handbook.

The only times I might not appreciate EVO is if my rear locks prematurely because I'm sending a braking action to the rear via hand AND foot lever, or in burnouts at the drag strip, which I haven't attempted.

Rear braking is likely a little more important on these bikes because they don't rock forward as much during braking and the center of gravity is relatively low (kinda the same thing). I'd like to know the stopping power of front vs rear tire. I do assume that via the front lever, the front locks first on a non-ABS bike...anyone done this? I haven't ridden in the rain or performed the dreaded skidding drills yet.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I believe the "Evo" refers only to the brake calipers and large rotors; the distribution front/rear is a function of the "integral" ABS for everything except the new R1200S which has NON-integral abs. So for the R and KS if you don't have ABS you don't have any rear brakes if you use only the hand lever. That distribution is only made through the servo system which is part of the ABS.

Not to mention the difference between part-integrated and fully integrated. . .

BMW's literature is a bit confusing because they introduced them together.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Anyone notice on the video how he really loses it as he tries to straighten up for the long screechy run? He's mostly hidden by the smoke, but gets it back upright quickly. I haven't had a chance to try this yet, myself. I did it on the Vmax a couple of times, but the neighbor glared at me for months.

·
Registered
217 Posts
kkugel said:
I believe the "Evo" refers only to the brake calipers and large rotors; the distribution front/rear is a function of the "integral" ABS for everything except the new R1200S which has NON-integral abs. So for the R and KS if you don't have ABS you don't have any rear brakes if you use only the hand lever. That distribution is only made through the servo system which is part of the ABS.

Not to mention the difference between part-integrated and fully integrated. . .

BMW's literature is a bit confusing because they introduced them together.
I'm going to post this as an independent thread because I've just gotten really frustrated trying to find out the answer and it's a spin-off of the original spin-out video thread.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The front suspension can handle some major wheel up action. I've had good results ,but I do try let it down easy by not cutting the throttle to nothing, and I weigh 300 pounds! While riding two up its nearly impossible to keep the front wheel on the ground. You might want to warn your girlfriend beforehand.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Bedlamdoc said:
And by the way, I've hesitated to do any wheelies on the new R, for many reasons. One is that I'm not sure how the new-fangled front suspsension set-up will take it. I know one of the BMW ads shows a guy doing a wheelie, but I'm not sure I want to run with that as an example. After all, HE's not paying for the bike like I am!!

Any thoughts? (I mean, thoughts other than that I'm an idiot for wanting to pop wheelies in general. I know that already.)
Wheelies are big and clever. Luckily the DuoLever has got no problems with them. The Telelever on the R-models on the other hand seems to complain a tad in some situations. But the K-R is just fun fun fun. Go for it. You'll notice that thanks to the amazing torque and power you can easily keep it going much further than yuo thought was possible. The shaft drive doesn't seem to affect it either. :) :ricky

1 - 16 of 16 Posts