BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying a K1200R or K1200S over the next couple of months. I was really only considering the S until taking the R for a test ride the weekend before last. I was thinking S because I thought I needed the additional wind protection. I also preferred the look. But...the R is growing on me. I don’t know if I’d call the look attractive but it is interesting. I didn’t find the wind too bad although I wasn’t on the highway for more than a half hour. I guess it comes down to the type of riding you do and for me most of my riding is around town seldom exceeding 50 or 60 mph...short bursts of acceleration, when I can get away with it, up to those speeds. Still, it’s the 4 or 5 day summer tours I enjoy the most and I might find the R too tiring (due to the wind blast) over that kind of ride. Mind you, I’m only going to do a couple of those rides per year due to time and family constraints. The R is a few thousand cheaper but that’s not a huge consideration. Thoughts?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I had a lot of the same thoughts but in the end went with the S no regrets but the R is def a cool looking bike, I finally figured if I got the R I would be spending money on getting better wind coverage that the S already brings to the table and couldnt see anything the R brought to the table that the S doesnt.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've ridden both. I don't think either are particularly good around town, and either one, which ever you buy, will radically affect the type & style of riding you do. Sooner or later you'll discover the heart of the K, and you'll want to fly. You'll become a different rider.

The R was far to turbulent and blustery for my taste at speed, and in general less comfortable. It was noisier. The S has excellent riding characteristics, and the fairing will deflect lots of debris, including big birds, and most other furry things. Just stay sharp.

Go for something you'll want to keep for a long, long time. Just be warned: Unless you've been a sport rider there is no way to predict your reaction to the K. It WILL change you, and it WILL challenge your here-to-for predictable sensibilities. It's not "The Dark Side" but there's definitely "stuff" lurking in the recesses of its power.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'll agree w/ Faust that the K will draw out your inner demons if you have any predisposition for speed. It's a bike that can get you in trouble if you get angry at traffic.
I would disagree, though, that the K12R is not a good 'round town bike. I commute daily on mine and I love it. It's not stubby like the Speed Triple, but it's well balanced, comfortable, responsive and predictable. The riding position is comfortable and after the engine settles in a bit, the vibration some folk complain about tapers off. I can't speak to the K12S for in-city ridability, but the R is great. The OEM bags for both are big enough to fit an S1 Schuberth and a full Aerostich suit.

I'm also a 3-4 weekend trip a year kind of rider. I've never noticed the wind being too overwhelming until I'm cooking. Then, I'm focusing on looking for traps. If it's a concern, Cee Bailey's just came out with aftermarket screens (a couple of which, imho, look just plain silly) and there's a larger OEM windscreen that will take some pressure off. You won't get a full fairing like the S, but the bigger screens are only around $200.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts