BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to All,

Please note that recently I noticed how right indicator lights on my K1200rs 1998 are not working (front and back). Quickly checking the light bulbs itself, they seemed in order and functional ... hence my next bet was fuse box of course. Unfortunately I did notice that 2 fuse boxes placed under the seat are not for indicator lights, hence in search for additional fuse box on the bike and on my surprise NO ADDITIONAL fuse boxes can be found. No mentioning in any of the service books, repair manuals or handbooks as well. So in real doubt on the way out now, a dead end street for me it seems. Could you please help with some advice or simply the location of other fuse box locations on this bike?

Thanks a lot,
Dali

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hi to All,

Please note that recently I noticed how right indicator lights on my K1200rs 1998 are not working (front and back). Quickly checking the light bulbs itself, they seemed in order and functional ... hence my next bet was fuse box of course. Unfortunately I did notice that 2 fuse boxes placed under the seat are not for indicator lights, hence in search for additional fuse box on the bike and on my surprise NO ADDITIONAL fuse boxes can be found. No mentioning in any of the service books, repair manuals or handbooks as well. So in real doubt on the way out now, a dead end street for me it seems. Could you please help with some advice or simply the location of other fuse box locations on this bike?

Thanks a lot,
Dali
Although it may seem difficult to beleive, on many BMW of this period including all K1200RS from 1997-2002, the fashers (traffic indicators) are NOT fused. On all k1200RS (any year), there are no other fuses anywhere than what you see under the seat. However on later models (2003-2005) they added a few more fuses under seat for headlight (8 fuses in each fuse-box instead of 4 per box).

See attached image taken directly from BMW owner manual for list of fuses on all 1997-2002. The same list is also available in CLYMER shop manual.

On K1200RS most flashers problems are caused by either ONE front or rear indicators not working - easily sorted in most cases by fixing a pin or a bad / dirty contact / wiring at flasher near bulb. In your cases, since both front and rear are not working only on RIGHT SIDE (my understanding), I would suspect it is a contact / damage issue inside the handlebar switch assy for right side. With age, these tend to cause some problems once in while.

IMPORTANT troubleshooting: do both sides work when you push the 4-way emergency flasher button ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Although it may seem difficult to beleive, on many BMW of this period including all K1200RS from 1997-2002, the fashers (traffic indicators) are NOT fused. On all k1200RS (any year), there are no other fuses anywhere than what you see under the seat. However on later models (2003-2005) they added a few more fuses under seat for headlight (8 fuses in each fuse-box instead of 4 per box).

See attached image taken directly from BMW owner manual for list of fuses on all 1997-2002. The same list is also available in CLYMER shop manual.

On K1200RS most flashers problems are caused by either ONE front or rear indicators not working - easily sorted in most cases by fixing a pin or a bad / dirty contact / wiring at flasher near bulb. In your cases, since both front and rear are not working only on RIGHT SIDE (my understanding), I would suspect it is a contact / damage issue inside the handlebar switch assy for right side. With age, these tend to cause some problems once in while.

IMPORTANT troubleshooting: do both sides work when you push the 4-way emergency flasher button ?

View attachment 27990
Sorry for the slow reply, but I have just recently noticed that my battery is dead due to not often riding and cold temperatures most likely, so blocked to do any required work discussed earlier. Nevertheless thank you for your explanation on 1997-2002, I would have never thought something like that and probably would continue to chase ghosts ☺ on the other hand, I have performed additional check you advised and when I turn on 4-way emergency flasher, only the right forward doesn't work. After that I checked the light bulb itself and it looks completely fine and in function, hence I'm a bit confused with why the right indicator would block FWD and AFT one while 4-way emergency flasher blocks only FWD one. Weird stuff, any suggestions perhaps? Besides fixing the battery first ☺

·
Registered
559 Posts
Sorry for the slow reply, but I have just recently noticed that my battery is dead due to not often riding and cold temperatures most likely, so blocked to do any required work discussed earlier. Nevertheless thank you for your explanation on 1997-2002, I would have never thought something like that and probably would continue to chase ghosts ☺ on the other hand, I have performed additional check you advised and when I turn on 4-way emergency flasher, only the right forward doesn't work. After that I checked the light bulb itself and it looks completely fine and in function, hence I'm a bit confused with why the right indicator would block FWD and AFT one while 4-way emergency flasher blocks only FWD one. Weird stuff, any suggestions perhaps? Besides fixing the battery first ☺
Thanks for added feedback to help troubleshoot this. As you have said, the 4-way-flashers test is giving added clues , but also very confusing hints to solve this.

1) FIRST of all, keep in mind these K1200RS-LT are equipped with a fairly complex flasher unit - called a Flasher-Relay in some manual - located in Relays junction box under Fuel tank. This flasher relay has embeded electronics to achieve an auto delay off (time and distance) and also manage the 4-way-flashers option. As with any electronics, it is sensitive to low battery voltage - THUS make sure you are testing flasher problem with a good / strong battery.

If you do not have access to a battery load tester, you should at least make this check for the battery: measure voltage at battery terminals after igniton ON - wait 10 seconds - do NOT attempt to start - measure static voltage at battery. Because of the permanent headlights/rear-lights , dash and ECU all takes some power this value will be much lower that a static measurements with ignition OFF. You need to have 12.1 (not perfect but OK) to 12.5 volts (best scenario in this "Key ON" configuration).

2) If you K1200RS is equipped with optional Alarm-Immobilizer system, then it could be related indirectly to your problem as they tie into the flasher system (the one offered by BMW did). As these Alarm system get to be 10 years or older, they have shown various stange symptoms in all related systems - these Alarm units have an embedded battey that CANNOT be replaced (molded into epoxy and plastic). Once the alarm battery gets too old, the Alarm system is basically "kaput" and problematic.

3) Although I have seen very few failure of these Flasher unit in last 18 years, it is not impossible that yours is defective. There is no documented test in shop-manual for these , but I have made a rough pin-out listing a few years ago. I also have the official factory electrical diagram (available from your dealer) as a Windows-based application on a CD.

Not being on-site, remote troubleshooting of electrical problem is very difficult if not impossible. Assuming you have eliminated the item 1 and 2 above, based on BMW electrical diagram AND based on your symptoms, I would try a few tests before ordering a used flasher-unit from EBAY (too expensive to buy a new one just to try):

I would test voltage / signal at various spot from the Flasher-Relay , then going toward the Front-Right flasher bulb location. If my memory is correct, there is only one added junction point between Flasher Relay and the exit of the junction box under fuel tank.

From the electrical junction box to the front fairing, I do not recall any other junction - unless we start to peel off the tape as a last option - I would really avoid doing something like this - not a very probable cause either... Neither can I see anything in the BWM diagram that would explain the strange difference in behavior you are seeing when using the 4-way-flashers compare to right flasher handlebar switch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts