BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I noted a thread on the forum relating to GS exhaust systems and wondered if anyone within the club has experience with 'opening up' the OEM exhaust system on a K1200RS and what the potential benefits are to this, rather than going the full after market exhaust system route. I don't want to end up with a really loud system, but a little more 'bark' and any potential power advantage would be welcome.

Please help

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.

References:
BMWMCCWA ? View topic - K1200RS Exhaust System
Video production quote

Thank you

·
Registered
380 Posts
I cut out catalytic converters on my K12RS stock exhaust system. Made no sound difference, made no fuel injection difference. Big difference was loss of catalytic converter HEAT underneath my transmission and clutch. Improvement there!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I debated cutting up the original exhaust I've done a few bikes over the years where I've gutted std exhaust and used internals from an aftermarket can (has the added advantage of being stamped up as road legal) however for my K1200RS I've found a Remus full system for £100 in very good condition so I'll fit that and see how I get on

·
Registered
28 Posts
get a 'can'

The prev owner on my '98RS removed the cat converter and welded up a slip on can that fits perfect. Yes - the sounds contain a few extra decibels, but DANG that sound is nice. If you want pics, let me now and I'll post 'em - I think the can is still available from SBK?

·
Registered
34 Posts
The prev owner on my '98RS removed the cat converter and welded up a slip on can that fits perfect. Yes - the sounds contain a few extra decibels, but DANG that sound is nice. If you want pics, let me now and I'll post 'em - I think the can is still available from SBK?
Post em up please - I guess he had to make up a fairly long link pipe

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nah - I don't see a long pipe- it looks Farm Boy simple. Not sure how to post any pics - pass along your phone or email and I'll send 'em that way. f1boss at geemail dot comm for me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nah - I don't see a long pipe- it looks Farm Boy simple. Not sure how to post any pics - pass along your phone or email and I'll send 'em that way. f1boss at geemail dot comm for me.
Email sent

senator3024v at Hotmail dot com

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well finally finished polishing up the Remus system I bought second hand

New gaskets and Joint clamp

old system off - my god did they line it with lead!!!

New Manifold nuts and gaskets and Remus system on

Quick blat up the road - definately more urgency at top end but no flats spots anywherre

However best bit is it's much more fruity sound wise - happy bunny

Pics to follow

1 - 8 of 8 Posts