BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new member & I hope someone can help me. I need to change the front pads on my '98 model RS. Last time I took it to the shop it cost me a fortune, so I thought I'd do it myself this time. Does anyone have any tips or tricks or special tools on changing the front pads. I know ABS brakes can be a bit of a pain to do.
I would reallly appreciate any advice on this one. Thanks, Wallbanger.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
brucecha said:
Here you go. Just force the caliper pistons back with a large screwdriver or other handy tool before you remove the old pads.

Thanks Bruce, I thought there might be more to it than that. I see you followed a similar path to me, I used to own a Sprint ST, great handling bike, shame it wasn't shaft driven.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
It would be a good idea to suck most the brake fluid from the front reservoir before you push the caliper pistons back. Refill the reservoir when done installing the calipers and again after the brake lever has been pumped up.

You don't realize what a pain/mess chain maintenance is until you have had a shaft-drive for a while. All told the Triumph is fun and a lot more on the sport side than my trusty, but overweight '04KRS.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Tape on the wheels will save you from some ugly nicks on the paint.......Someone should have shown that to previous owner of my bike and/or his tire shop......! :teeth

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
brucecha said:
It would be a good idea to suck most the brake fluid from the front reservoir before you push the caliper pistons back. Refill the reservoir when done installing the calipers and again after the brake lever has been pumped up.

You don't realize what a pain/mess chain maintenance is until you have had a shaft-drive for a while. All told the Triumph is fun and a lot more on the sport side than my trusty, but overweight '04KRS.
The rubber toothed belt drive they put on the smaller BMW appeals to me. Quiet, simple, a rear drive without a rear drive, lighter, more power, easier to mod and change rear drive ratio.

But I guess they need to be replaced like cam belts.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
voxmagna said:
The rubber toothed belt drive they put on the smaller BMW appeals to me. Quiet, simple, a rear drive without a rear drive, lighter, more power, easier to mod and change rear drive ratio.

But I guess they need to be replaced like cam belts.
I haven't looked at the belt driven BMW's to see how well protected the belt is, but I have seen a Harley where a small rock found its way in there.....Ouch and $$$$$$! :yeow:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts