BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep blowing out my #2 fuse on my K1200 RS. This fuse controls my fuel pump. I put in a new battery earlier this summer and it ran fine. I got the bike out last week and it will not start. I thought maybe I had a bad fuel pump, but I checked the fuse first and it was blown. Each time I put in a new fuse it blows out in seconds. Anyone have any ideas where the short maybe coming from?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Either fuel line disconnected? As in one of the QDs (Quick Disconnect) popped off?That blows the fuse rather quickly.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Any chance you my have pinched the harness when replacing the battery. Always go to the last thing you worked on...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any chance you my have pinched the harness when replacing the battery. Always go to the last thing you worked on...
Thanks Doug, I actually took the battery back out and reconnected it already. I didn't see any pinched wires. Fuse still blows out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Either fuel line disconnected? As in one of the QDs (Quick Disconnect) popped off?That blows the fuse rather quickly.
Thanks, I will check the QD's again. One quick question though. I keep thinking my fuel pump could be bad. If i disconnect the fuel line QDs and turn the key on, fuel should spray out or will the QDs lines right? or does the QDs prevent that from happening?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
The QDs will prevent fuel from flowing.Pump usually squeals loudly and maxes at +85psi then blows the fuse when a line is disconnected.

Disconnect the line at the fuel rail?
Forward line at the rail is the pressure/fuel feed and should circulate fuel if the pump isn't seized thus blowing the fuse.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
And btw......very common GS problem the seized fuel pump after a period of storage and they have the same type of pump.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
And btw......very common GS problem the seized fuel pump after a period of storage and they have the same type of pump.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just separate the electrical connector for the fuel pump, it's near the quick disconnects. If the fuse blows again, your pump is probably ok.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your help. At this point I think I have determined that I have a stuck fuel pump. I unhooked the fuel pump wiring and pushed the starter several times and the fuse didn't blow. I then put the wires back together, pushed the starter 3-4 times and the fuse blows. I was told amperage goes up if the pump is stuck thus causing the fuse to blow.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I did the fuel filter change last winter on my 2003 K1200GT. A bit of work but worth it.

I am wonder if your problem is a clogged fuel filter and not the pump failing. Reasonable to replace one item at a time to see results.

I cut open my old filter and found it jet black full of charcoal from the emission charcoal can. I removed the canister to prevent future problems. Plenty of videos on that process. Now I have a nice extra storage are under the seat for tools and tire inflator kit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did the fuel filter change last winter on my 2003 K1200GT. A bit of work but worth it.

I am wonder if your problem is a clogged fuel filter and not the pump failing. Reasonable to replace one item at a time to see results.

I cut open my old filter and found it jet black full of charcoal from the emission charcoal can. I removed the canister to prevent future problems. Plenty of videos on that process. Now I have a nice extra storage are under the seat for tools and tire inflator kit.
Thanks for the info about the fuel filter. I have a new filter and pump on the way and I am going to check that filter like you did. My gut tells me its the pump because the bike has sat for mostly two years without much use. The fuel is that old also, so I think I did this to myself by letting it sit too long. I plan to let you all know how this all turns out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK guys I am back. It took a while but the problem is fixed. I took the fuel pump harness out to change the fuel pump and filter. I immediately noticed that the housing (coating) on the two wires that powers the fuel pump was very brittle and breaking off into small pieces. This in turn was causing the bare wires to touch each other, shorting it out which was causing the fuse to blow every time I hit the starter. I did some research and found a company on line that sells 18 gauge wire that can stand up to a corrosive atmosphere, ie. kerosene, gasoline or acetone. The wire is a GLX brand sold by 4RCustoms. I hope someone else will find this useful. The BMW dealer just wanted to put in a whole new fuel pump harness instead of soldering wires and the other dealerships wouldn't touch it. So, I did it myself. I now have a new pump, filter and wires installed and everthing works great.

·
Registered
516 Posts
OK guys I am back. It took a while but the problem is fixed. I took the fuel pump harness out to change the fuel pump and filter. I immediately noticed that the housing (coating) on the two wires that powers the fuel pump was very brittle and breaking off into small pieces. This in turn was causing the bare wires to touch each other, shorting it out which was causing the fuse to blow every time I hit the starter. I did some research and found a company on line that sells 18 gauge wire that can stand up to a corrosive atmosphere, ie. kerosene, gasoline or acetone. The wire is a GLX brand sold by 4RCustoms. I hope someone else will find this useful. The BMW dealer just wanted to put in a whole new fuel pump harness instead of soldering wires and the other dealerships wouldn't touch it. So, I did it myself. I now have a new pump, filter and wires installed and everthing works great.
Thanks for the follow up on this.

I have opened a few K1200RS fuel tanks to change fuel-filter - even if these bike were 10 to 17 years old, there was no wire / coating damage yet. I suspect any bike that has been parked unused for a long time with old fuel will suffer more from this issue (parked for more than 1 year).

In the past, on another K1200RS forum AND ALSO an R1150 forum, a few had reported a similar issue as you found.

Can you confirm this the product you bought - a link from their web site for GXL wires: https://4rcustomswire.com/t/18-gauge-gxl
I cannot see where it is stated these 18 gauges wires will resist kerosene and gasoline - did you have to call them to get this info ?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
GXL is a wire spec.So insulation is Polyethylene.

Polyethylene:

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/peh-chemical-resistance-d_329.html

I remember looking into that when I installed the cheap Bosch 69222 fuel pump on my bike.All I did ,as my OEM wiring was in good shape ,was to solder the wires that came with the Bosch onto the OEM wires to get the correct terminals.That was a few years ago,all good still and pump comes out every year for a filter change/general inspection.

Covered the solder joints with Polyolefin aka shrink tubing.But not the waterproof type shrink with the adhesive liner.The adhesive is plain old "hot melt" glue and won't resist gasoline.Crumbles and falls apart within a few hours of immersion in gas,Kero.....etc!

Reactions: sailor

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I basically did a google search to start. Polyethylene coating is key. When you look for polyethylene coated wires it took me to some images of the wires and I clicked on a few. One was for 4RCustoms and the description said it was made to stand up to gasoline. The link you sent is the right one. I bought 2 short 5 foot sections of different colors. I believe they were like $6 a piece. So far so good. Time will tell.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts