BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

firstly i have been searching and do have a lot of info on this topic, secondly my nearest BMW Dealer is 400km away.

Back in 2016 my 2007 K1200S Brake Fault light started to come on. Intermittent at first and then solid. As I was going on a ride i took the Bike to my nearest dealer and got a service and some recalls completed and asked them to analyse the Brake warning light. When I picked the bike up they said that the Warning Light was due to a faulty ABS Unit and I was looking at $3200 Aust just for parts. they provided no codes.

As the brakes still worked I went on my ride and then parked the bike up for the last 4 years with just the occasional ride or at least started it every 4-6 weeks and warmed it up. I uncovered it the other day and thought it was time I took a look at this brake issue and got it sorted. I was working on the assumption that I had the Brush Sticking issue with the ABS Motor based on 2016 service advice.

Today I went to remove the ABS Unit and before doing so i thought I would bleed the fluid to prevent as much spillage as possible. When I disconnected the front brake lines there was Fluid in the connection ports that ran over onto a rag, and by pumping the Brakes I bled the resevoir. When I disconnected the Back brakes fittings there was no fluid spillage and connection ports looked dry? (see Pics)

Also yesterday when I installed the Battery and turned the bike on, I am definite that I heard the ABS unit run briefly prior to fault light coming on. Subsequent ignition off then on again did not hear the ABS Unit run?

So based on the above I am hoping someone with some knowledge may be able to answer some questions or guide me a bit.

1:Is the front and rear brake ports somehow connected inside the ABS Unit and by draining the front lines it has removed the fluid from the rear ( I doubt this? as front ports held fluid even after the lines were bled and rear showed nothing)
2: Surely a lack of fluid in the rear lines will cause a brake warning fault (maybe it was this all along and not the ABS Unit)
3: If there is a fault with the brushes not contacting the Commutator surely I can prove this by connecting 12v onto the correct terminals and seeing if motor runs, or by testing circuit using ohms. that being said I am struggling to find circuit diagram or info on connections. Also the fact I know I heard the ABS Unit whir when I first installed battery?

Sorry to be one of those early posts asking for lots of help. I have and will keep searching also.

please add any assistance or advice you can

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had my 2008 K1200S unit replaced with one from Module Masters. Apparently the brushes in the pump motor go bad. My pump would work sometimes and not others. Module Masters charges $250 and gives you a 5 year warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes Module Masters would definitely be the way to go, but unfortunately I live in remote country in Australia, and the price of repair plus freight each way ran into about $550 US Dollars (approx $850 Australian) Also without me taking it to BMW to get a error code they could not guarantee they could repair. They were very helpful in communications though.

Given the above I pulled the module apart myself, hoping that I would find the Brush issue with the Motor. Ground off the peening tabs with a dremmel and got motor off. As you can see it was open circuit across the 12V Terminals. This told me that the Brushes were not in contact with Commutator. Pulled apart motor and freed up brushes in there holders and reassembled and tested 0.2 ohms. Success, placed back onto ABS Valve Block and placed back in bike and bled the brakes.

Warning light is now flashing as it should and no longer on solid.

IMG_20200609_124009.jpg
IMG_20200609_124009.jpg IMG_20200609_115202.jpg IMG_20200610_092256.jpg

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
321 Posts
Good job, now fresh fluid and you done.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I as able to do the same without bleeding the brakes and removing just the electric motor part. Been working good for 2 years now!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts