BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

K1200s ABS upgrade to K1300S

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Beech 
#1 ·
Imaginative title, I know. But my spirit is broken.

The scene: I have a 2006 K1200S. Had it a year. Happy enough with it.
A few months ago, it develops an intermittent fault, with the ABS light flashing like a Firefly on speed.
It started getting more frequent.

I pulled out the ABS Servo and wanted to send it off for a refurb. Turns out you can't refurb that model of ABS/Servo. Buy a new one. A new one costs more than the bike is worth.

Look on Youtube, and find out how to bypass it. Was never a fan of ABS anyway.
Job done, but the old ABS servo is still installed, and if I mash the back brake, it clatters and has a bit of a fit. The front occasionally surges like it is trying to remember how to engage its ABS. I'm not delighted with the result.

How feasible is it to upgrade to a unit from the K1300s? I'm told you can do it. Is it a major thing? Is it worth it?
Thanks

#2 ·
Sorry for your troubles, replace your ABS unit with this by pass unit. It has all the electronics needed to keep functions the bike needs. Too bad you did not ask earlier. They also could have repaired your old unit. But the good side is you will now have normal brakes with no worries about ABS failure in the future. I have not read about any one that has installed a K13 unit in a K12 bike. Interesting thought though.

Reactions: Moss
#5 ·
It's not so much 1200 vs.1300 as it is iABS I (aka 'servo' brakes) vs. iABS II, and iABS II was present on the 2007-2008 1200 models as well as the 1300. That said I don't think it's a practical conversion as just too many parts to change, probably including engine ECU. Your only practical solution is to either find a working replacement (scarce as hen's teeth) or bypass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.