BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'n thinking of getting a K1200S on a 55 plate.

But I've heard that the engines & handling on the early bikes is a little on the "woolly" side.

Can anyone comment on this, am I better trying to get a later bike?

Thanks very much

·
Registered
969 Posts
LHutchin said:
Hi,

But I've heard that the engines & handling on the early bikes is a little on the "woolly" side.

Thanks very much
Am I the only person who does not know what a "55 plate" and "wooly" means? Is this a 2005 KS or an earlier model 2004 KRS? Either way, it's usually always better to get a later model. My 07 KS had fewer issues than my friends 06 and his was better than the 05. BMW worked out some of the bugs as time went on. Having said that, there were a lot of great early model bikes that had the factory issues fixed (airbox for one).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply

It's a mid 2005 bike.

Woolly, i.e. not as sharp,vague.

The telelever isn't as good on the early bikes?

Thanks

·
Registered
283 Posts
The KS has the 'hossack' front end as opposed to the tele-lever of the RS, etc series. I have both, very different. But I have not owned a standard front end bike for a long time, so wooly? The KS provides more feedback than the KRS, but, they are in my view quite different bikes, and both would feel way different to a standard front end. However, I get all the information I need from either and they both soak up road imperfections quite well. I would expect to install aftermarket suspension to suite my needs on any bike of that age, standard or non-standard front end......

·
Registered
229 Posts
LHutchin said:
Hi,

Thanks very much
I could ramble on and do War and Piece on the subject and people have,the odds of you getting a good one pre a 07 plate are lower than if you go post 07,in the UK thats means your looking at the silver model with yellow wheels or the all black one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
chriscanning said:
I could ramble on and do War and Piece on the subject and people have,the odds of you getting a good one pre a 07 plate are lower than if you go post 07,in the UK thats means your looking at the silver model with yellow wheels or the all black one.
Sorry are you saying I should be looking at at silver/yellow or black one?
Thanks

·
Registered
229 Posts
Just pointing out what are the later coloured models,I've seen bikes on 07' reg's and their 06 models,and of course I forgot!! the tri colour one as well.

·
Registered
229 Posts
LHutchin said:
So do the pre 07 ride/feel different / worse than the post 07?
Blimey this could go on forever,I suggest you do a trawl/search of the various K sites to look for maps/airboxs/clutchs/rear drives some of those things can be attributed to post 07 models as well,but not as much,I'd also do a search on BMW Uk's extended warranty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts