BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
馃槀 I have always admired the K bike I had a 03 K1200 ( flying brick ) they called it did a few things to make it more user friendly in the handle bar area. Years later now I bought a 2018 K 1600 B/GA last year and a 2007 K1200S 4 weeks ago.
It has 18000 miles I rode it around the block before purchasing thought well I am getting it at a good price love the look and smoothness so I bought it and on the way home I thought shit I can鈥檛 ride this for to long like this 馃槀馃槀馃槀 so I got it home and have been detailing painting polishing and changing things .... she is very pretty now put Heli bars on it , it鈥檚 better but it could use a bit more set back which from what I have read it鈥檚 putting 7/8s bars on it machine my triple tree or change it to except bar clamps but it鈥檚 a bit of work with brake lines and cables and about 500 bucks or more. I am going to ride it a bit like this and see how it goes. Put new shoes on it painted front fender sanded and polished headlight same with Remus exhaust sanded and polished all wheel and brake fasteners. I like tinkering with stuff making things new and improved. The bike was nice but I am really Anal. We have 9 bikes all in my guest house this is the least comfy out of them but it talks to me so we will see were it goes. Thanks for the excepting me in the forum. Will be reading even more lots to learn about these bikes

Attachments

Registered
No doubt you have to get used to the riding position of the K12-K13S. For me, I don't care for bar-backs, I'm in decent shape so I use my midsection to help keep pressure off my wrists as well as using my knees to squeeze the tank when on a downhill or when decelerating. Once you get used to it, the K-S is a real blast and hard to beat! You won't be able to keep the smile off your face!

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mike. Yeah it is a fun bike but there all fun and so different from one another. Glad I bought it have admired them for a long time.

Registered
Nice bike! I have to paint one side of mine! My wife just backed into it in the driveway with her big SUV and knocked it over. Scratched up the big panel. You didn't say your age? I'll be 72 end of September, riding for over 50 years now. Former BMW mechanic. The K12S is a great bike. Been riding my 2006 since 2010 and it now has 38,000 trouble free miles.
Make sure all the recalls have been done, especially the timing chain tensioner updates and the fuel tank outlet flange so that you don't pull the tank one day and then find gas leaking all over or worse, on a ride!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
The bike has 19,000 miles on it at 17,000 miles it went into the dealer for service before that they had done the brake servo and something with the ABS... also changed out the sending unit in the tank for the fuel reading...... I am 55 first road bike at 17 Honda Nighthawk S ...dirtbikes 45 years now . 72 man you should be on a Harley 馃槀

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Wow Zoomie that鈥檚 impressive I can only hope to live that long let alone still be riding. I like the Harley thing to I have lots of bikes they all have there Place

Registered
Perhaps I was a tad harsh with my Harley comment. I like all bikes, actually. I鈥檝e owned more than I probably should have, but never a Harley. There were two I found interesting. The Cafe bike and the V Rod. Neither are made any more. I do like V Twins. I鈥檝e owned both a Ducati and a Moto Guzzi at the same time.. Indians currently interest me.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Perhaps I was a tad harsh with my Harley comment. I like all bikes, actually. I鈥檝e owned more than I probably should have, but never a Harley. There were two I found interesting. The Cafe bike and the V Rod. Neither are made any more. I do like V Twins. I鈥檝e owned both a Ducati and a Moto Guzzi at the same time.. Indians currently interest me.
I saw the new Indian challenger for the first time on the road a few weeks ago the owner was very happy with it it reminded me of my road glide. My Road Glide is a great bike for the wife and I also our K1600 GA

Registered
Nice bike! I have to paint one side of mine! My wife just backed into it in the driveway with her big SUV and knocked it over. Scratched up the big panel. You didn't say your age? I'll be 72 end of September, riding for over 50 years now. Former BMW mechanic. The K12S is a great bike. Been riding my 2006 since 2010 and it now has 38,000 trouble free miles.
Make sure all the recalls have been done, especially the timing chain tensioner updates and the fuel tank outlet flange so that you don't pull the tank one day and then find gas leaking all over or worse, on a ride!!
Hello Ross, I also have the black and blue 2007 K1200S. didn't know there was a recall on the tensioner but I already had it replaced. My beemer shop didn't tell me that but took my money though. I'm changing the clutches soon but not going to them. They want $1100 and I called Barnett, their kit is like $200 so labor shouldn't be $900.

I have a big issue with the fuel gauge which is stuck and I've read about it. How do you fix this.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dean Morgan

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
I just bought this bike and the fuel gauge is acting up and it was taken care of two years ago with a new strip so I鈥檓 going back to the dealer with the receipt from what I understand those things are covered for 10 or 12 years supposedly

Registered
The bike has 19,000 miles on it at 17,000 miles it went into the dealer for service before that they had done the brake servo and something with the ABS... also changed out the sending unit in the tank for the fuel reading...... I am 55 first road bike at 17 Honda Nighthawk S ...dirtbikes 45 years now . 72 man you should be on a Harley 馃槀
I have a harley rider story. I鈥檓 on my k12 about 10 years back and just returning from work. I time the lights in my home town and cruise thru intersection as it becomes green. I notice a harley stopped at the light with the cars on the other side of the car I went in between, thought nothing of it. A few blocks later I see this biker weaving in and out trying to catch up with me. So, thinking he saw something about my bike i stop. He rides right over to me and sitting on his bike punches me as hard as he can. Fortunately, his fist just bounces off my full face helmets visor and the moron has a very surprised look on his ugly mug. I take a swing at him but can鈥檛 connect as its tough to sit on a k12 and do that while his harley is low enough to have both feet planted. The guy looks like one of those hells angels types, i figure I don鈥檛 need this anyway and take off. After noticing this moron following me, I drive over to the local police station. I don鈥檛 see him and go inside to report this. I get a remote voice telling me all cops are having donuts in a Fri pm meeting (i shit you not!) accomplish nothing and go outside. This ahole has sneaked up and knocked my bike over! Right in front of the station! One sick dude. Fortunately, beemers are tough and nothing is wrong accept scratches. Insurance paid me almost what I paid for the bike at the time and I repair nothing! As I said earlier, my wife just knocked the bike over and caused more scratches in the same spot than this idiot did! I never found out what ticked off the moron but it sure didn鈥檛 make me feel any better about harleys or their riders! I remember pulling into a bar up in a Sierra small town over 20 years ago on my R100GS bumblebee. As I walk in the door, I鈥檓 greeted by a huge 6鈥2 Harley rider all dressed up in cowboy duster, long hair etc with an entire bar full of guys just like him! I got worried but then the fellow say 鈥淛ap bikes Suck but Beemers are COOL!鈥 end of story and I bought them all drinks馃

Registered
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Wow what a story yeah Harley riders come in all flavors I guess I am not one of those big Brawley type dudes but I enjoy the Harley but in Sturgis last year they were plenty of idiots I brought my K 1600 B grand American and my road glide when I rode the Beamer the disrespectful Harley riders started in with me trying to cut me off at the lights which when the light turned green I showed them tail lights or they were under the assumption they were going to outmaneuver me in the twisties...I don鈥檛 think so. They probably thought I was some Rookie That just started riding. Little did they know I鈥檝e been eating and breathing motorcycles for 40 years plus LOL

Registered
Welcome aboard the K Beast!! Ive been a Honda guy since 1984 and got my K12 in 2010...best bike I have ever owed! I talked about it so much two members in my bike club brought a K12 and a K13. If you buy the right tools you can do a lot of work yourself. I'm 55 and I love this bike. Be safe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts