BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
I am only 5'7" and have ridden the S on a 500 mile day without experiencing discomfort problems. You may want to consider the lower footpegs since you have longer legs.
I have the low seat as well. Maybe invest in a touring windshield. Otherwise, that's it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
spraypilot said:
Do you get much wind buffet behind the windscreen?
No problem. The stock screen is the best I've ever had. Just enough clean air to keep the weight off my wrists. I'm 6'3".

BCC

·
Registered
395 Posts
the S is great for long distances, as long as you can live without cruise control, not a fctor at all for me since I came from a 99 KRS

·
Registered
80 Posts
I drove 2900km in 32 hours nonstop. Only physical problem was my right hand, where i get some bladders having wet gloves and heated grips with full power - it didn't burned, just weared the skin. Of course i was very tired, but next day everything was ok. Sometimes i did some gymnastics pumping up and down on pedals to get some fresh blood to my butt and legs etc. I also did some with my hands and shoulders while driving. But generally i was suprised, how easy it was.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I did 500 miles on my K12R in 8.5 hours not including stops for late breakfast/lunch, fuel and removing some cold weather gear. Ride was from Death Valley to Sacramento, California this past Sunday. The S should be good for touring.

·
Registered
104 Posts
1700 miles in three days. My hands were a little cramped at the end due to the small grip diameter and I had a mild butt burn. Averaged 48 mpg for the trip. No other issues.

·
no power in the 'verse can stop me
1,126 Posts
MOTOR uses his for touring.

But then he's a short little guy.
Or does he prefer to be called diminutive ? :wtf

I forget.

·
Registered
37 Posts
But "squared" rear tire

In summer, I run from Reno/Truckee to Bay area (about 200 each way miles) often. Only problem is that roads are very straight so high speeds are induced, which squares off the 190 rear faster than I can affor to replace them.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Perfect

Depends on what you label as "touring", for some it's 1600 miles or more on a weekend. Personally I miss the cruise on the GT but the ride, power, and ESA make the trip smoother than the GT would, IMO. The S feels smoother at speed to me. I've managed a 1000 mile easy long weekend with the wife, only using the saddlebags and we were both fine. Not too much complaint about buffetting, I'm 5'11 and she's about 5'8 and we usually roll at about 110 MPH most of the way, sometimes a little more if passing. In all seriousness, I think age and attitude plays a big part of how much buffetting you can take. For us - it's not enough to worry about, just a little helmet shake.

I've got 5.5k miles on the first rear tire and haven't hit the wear marks yet.... Overall I couldn't be happier.

Matt - make the purchase you won't regret it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Greetings, I have been lurking for a while and will be getting an 06' S in the early summer. I waited to make the decision until the GT was introduced. I got rid of an 1150RT last year to seek something much more sport oriented while still being able to make the long haul trips in relative comfort. My wife will take infrequent rides from time to time but they may be 400 mile days. Do any of you that use the bike to ride two up with this type of frequency? Also would like to know if anyone has the Corbin saddle setup with the removal back rest for the passenger? From comments I have read on this site that seat and backrest would probably make the bike comfortable enough for the passenger for an all day ride. Yes, no? I am looking forward to the summer as you can imagine.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I routinely do 300 mile days, with a few at 575. As one of the more, ahemmm, mature-figured riders (5'10''/125kg) I still find the ride comfortable. The "Throttlemeister" helps as does a tankbag to lean into. The air over the windscreen is significant for me but smooth.
Pete

·
Registered
32 Posts
Last November, I decided to buy an S and promised to sell my RS to a buyer from Chicago. He bought the airplane ticket for Monday, and I went to a dealer for a last test ride before the purchase at Saturday. I had tested the S for a weekend a year ago, but I had a GS for a long time before and it was really different and pleasure to ride it after the GS. But after having the RS, it was a disappointment. It was more a sport bike than a sport touring. I couldnt call and say the buyer "no I am not going to sell it, I apologize". He came and picked the bike up.

Then I bought a GT, which is even better than RS. RS and GT are more comfortable for me, a tourer and long distance rider. My son was born three weeks ago, and I recently realized that I wont be able to go for weekend rides, or long trips as I am used to. Life is going to change. And decided to sell the GT.

Now dreaming of buying an S. May be this is the only good time in my life to ride a sport bike. I wont be able to go long trips with my wife, so I dont have to concern about better wind protection, luggage and riding position. I dont know, if I can sell the GT for the price I am asking, I can knock the door of a dealer for an S.

On the other hand, the yellow-black S pictures in my office forcing me to buy one.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts