BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help from BMW tech or someone with the repair manual.

The fuel tank has a fuel pump inside of it. The outside of the tank, fore, where it butts against the air box, has a threaded connector with a female opening that the fuel line and its plastic male fitting snaps into.

The threaded connector that screws into the fuel tank (to receive fuel from the fuel pump) has some white pasty stuff on the threads. When I re-connected it fuel still sprays out (very fine spray like there was a pin hole). I'm guessing the white pasty stuff is some kind of dope or teflon tape substitute.

Does anyone know what this white stuff is? Whether its a common thread dope or some kind of special uber BMW $5000 thread sealant?

TIA,
Todd

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is in fact. Thanks for the tip, I'll check that out. But it's a brand new part and I was pretty careful...

·
Registered
629 Posts
doesn't take much. If you are not careful, it will pinch the O ring. If you need to replace it, make sure you get one that is Buna-N rated.

·
"Hey Y'all"
2,239 Posts
and this isn't a joke .....

raffyk said:
doesn't take much. If you are not careful, it will pinch the O ring. If you need to replace it, make sure you get one that is Buna-N rated.
... and another tip .... We all know that the 'net is full of wisdom and bunk, but put some Vaseline on the o-ring before you connect the fittings.

Tim - Mechanical Designer for Volvo Construction Equipmet, NA. (IOW, hydraulics-R-us.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts