BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2006 BMW K1200S
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past I tried to narrow my fuel purchases by specific station only using those that reliably provided gas that the K12 liked. I ran premium or ethanol free premium and really could not tell the difference between the two. So over the last two weekends I did it different. For the first weekend I used about six tanks of ethanol free premium planning my trips around where I knew it was available. Then the following weekend I did the same but only used Chevron premium (up to 10% ethanol) with Techron. The results were noticeable. And FYI my K12S is mostly all stock from the factory with the exception of the airbox upgrade and three farkles.

The ethanol free fuel helped me with my “search for idle” problem that I only seem to encounter over a single route with a big elevation change in 10-15 miles. It did however make my “clutch in bike dies” worse with about five drop offs over that weekend. Prior to this the drop offs were not frequent at all and mostly preventable.

The Chevron fuel took away the “clutch in bike dies” problem almost immediately but still had a bit of difficulty over the pass as I call it. Though it did recover quickly after a few blips of the throttle. I even tried to get the bike to die at places where it had happened before by not blipping my throttle when coming to a stop and just letting the old girl do her thing. Big change in behavior from ethanol free.

Your bike will probably be different, but I am sure they are all finicky drinkers. I think I will stay with Chevron as much as I can and see how it works in the long term. But still some places we visit you have to get the fuel that’s available you may not have a choice.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I want to get more than 30mpg cries

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have always used a top tier (Mostly shell) gasoline with ethanol. For longer than I can remember I have added a fuel stabilizer with each fill up. Personally i use Startron concentrate. I add a squirt from a small bottle that has a “squirt“ top on it. I found that it smoothed out the lean behavior of the engine and the added benefit of always having the fuel ready for storage!
Jim

·
Registered
384 Posts
I’m the opposite. I find the cheapest 93 octane I can and put whatever that is. Never had any idling or stalling issues, however I do have a booster plug wired in. I do try to fill at least 3 gallons at a minimum, or do the gas-station crawl to find a pump that’s just been used to fill premium (nobody puts premium, it’s weird).

I should say I live in Texas, so we have very delicious gas fresh from the tap.

·
Registered
10 Posts
mrdryclutch,
Are the octane ratings of the non-ethanol and the Chevron with ethanol the same?
If not, what are the ratings of each.

Very interesting observations.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R & 2021 Vespa Primavera clown paint job
793 Posts
Sorry Chicken, 48 on the low side, 54 on the puttzing at 60 mph on the high side. :cool:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Sorry Chicken, 48 on the low side, 54 on the puttzing at 60 mph on the high side. :cool:
I honestly think something might be wrong with my bike. These numbers are just way too low.

I should try putzing at 60mph on the highway, but I’m not sure I can.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I lived in SoCal, I averaged 38 mpg. I’d get 42-44 with only freeway riding during non-lane splitting times. 38ish lane splitting during rush time commutes. I’d get 34-36 around town. Out on the interstates I regularly see upper 40s. My best is 51mpg cruising across New Mexico on interstate 40 doing a steady 110-115mph. I fueled up at a Loves just across after leaving Arizona and ran almost 200 miles which too me past Albuquerque to Edgewood. I was astounded. But I must have gotten pure gas at the Loves and I was at fairly high altitude. My lowest is 32 and it was all around town with lots of stop light drag races. I was never afraid to use the throttle and would alway exceed 100 mph getting on the freeways and cruise 80-85 mph when the road was open. One one commute, transitions from one freeway to another, I’d wind 3rd gear to the rev limiter after splitting down the ramp. There was almost always the same guy on a Yamaha R1 behind me and I’d leave him in the dust Until I hit the next knot of traffic and had to slow to split through it. If you can’t get better than 30mpg at best, there must be something wrong with your bike. Or you ride in 2nd gear all the time.

·
Registered
2006 BMW K1200S
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Octane ratings were generally at 91 or 92 for either. I do take a stand on not carrying chemicals with me (after a serious Mt Dew event) so I wonder if jpel's advice would help if only used every third tank or so. My mileage did go up one point with the ethanol and I only drop down to around 43 when I have a strong headwind and a heavy wrist at the same time. I do not ride in traffic if I can help it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
My lowest is 32 and it was all around town with lots of stop light drag races. I was never afraid to use the throttle and would alway exceed 100 mph getting on the freeways and cruise 80-85 mph when the road was open.
tbh this is how I ride

·
Registered
9 Posts
I always run premium when available. Can't have the knock sensor reducing performance :)

I typically get around 40 MPG and have noticed that when I am able to find ethanol free gas, mileage is significantly better.

The manual says I should get 50 mpg at a steady 50 mph, but there's no way to verify that 😅

As for stalling, I rarely have the stall when stopping. But my '12 K1300S has the automatic throttle blip feature which seems to prevent some stalls. Gas type doesn't seem to make any difference here, but it's rare enough that I don't know how I could correlate it effectively anyway.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I just went 132 miles on 4.4 gallons -_-

·
Registered
384 Posts
I cannot rule out this possibility

Reactions: Fastdaddy
1 - 16 of 16 Posts