BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Gas Mileage?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’d like to get a survey of people’s gas mileage in U.S. miles per gallon.

For continental Europeans, you can use this website to convert your MPG values (I have included the l/100km option in the survey for convenience):

For people using UK Gallons, divide your MPG by 1.2 to convert to U.S. gallons

In addition to replying in the poll, It would be extremely helpful to reply with the following information:

1. Year/Model of Bike
2. Your typical Gas Mileage
3. All modifications that could in some way be relevant
4. Your typical Riding Style (three choices: Speed Limit, Faster than Speed Limit, Risk Jail Speeds)
5. Any notes you’d like to provide that people may find relevant

Here is mine:

Bike: 2005 K1200S
Typical MPG: 32ish MPG
Modifications: K1300S Exhaust, K1300S Transmission, Booster Plug, Top Case, Upgraded Cushion Springs
Riding Style: Risk Jail Speeds
Notes: MPG has always been low. Installing a booster plug, removing Remus Exhaust, Installing K1200S Exhaust, Installing K1300S Exhaust, replacing spark plugs, and doing oil changes hasn’t changed anything. Neither did installing the K1300S transmission. Right after installing upgraded Cushion springs, for one fill up I got 40mpg. That’s the highest I’ve gotten and I haven’t matched it since. I can’t shake the feeling that something is wrong with the bike.

·
Premium Member
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R & 2021 Vespa Primavera clown paint job
911 Posts
If constant speed on a quiet trip I can get over 50 mpg. but that is really doging it at a constant 55/63 mph.

Reactions: El_Barto

·
Registered
2012 BMW K1300S (also 1993 BMW R1100RS and 1974 BMW R60/6)
17 Posts
Varies greatly depending on where I am!

At home in Michigan driving around backroads with lots of stop signs, I can get as little as 36 mpg.

Cruising around in Colorado I routinely hit 50 mpg.

My log over the past season shows 43.3 for an average so that's what I answered on your survey.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a K13GT 2010, owned it since it was 4 months old run the bike completely stock, I ride at the speed limits apart from on motorways and I`ve always got 50+ mpg.
I did visit the, Isle of man where I was getting 25 mpg but that was the only time I did not see 50mpg.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Font Art Magenta Event Science

The image above is my entire fuel history of my 2014 K1300S. The low of 29mpg was doing short trip local riding with the requisite drag race at every stop light. The high of almost 51 was cruising at 115 mpg across New Mexico on interstate 40, which is relatively high altitude. I was shocked and had to triple check my receipts and miles, but it’s what I got on that tank. Bike was stock until shortly after that point where I added a stainless Akropovic race system. No tune yet, no noticeable change in mpg. I tend towards the above the speed limit (5-15 mph) for most of the time with blasts into triple digits getting on interstates and such. But I do my best to not attract LEOs. The top box and full gear help. I’ve found over the years that a rider with full gear and luggage can get away with stuff that other riders get arrested for. For example I’ve ridden across Tennessee on a 1997 Honda VFR750 with a full set of givi luggage at 90-100 mph following cops, Beijing followed by cops and passing them in the median. Never slowed down and none of them bothered me.

·
Registered
215 Posts
View attachment 29905
The image above is my entire fuel history of my 2014 K1300S. The low of 29mpg was doing short trip local riding with the requisite drag race at every stop light. The high of almost 51 was cruising at 115 mpg across New Mexico on interstate 40, which is relatively high altitude. I was shocked and had to triple check my receipts and miles, but it’s what I got on that tank. Bike was stock until shortly after that point where I added a stainless Akropovic race system. No tune yet, no noticeable change in mpg. I tend towards the above the speed limit (5-15 mph) for most of the time with blasts into triple digits getting on interstates and such. But I do my best to not attract LEOs. The top box and full gear help. I’ve found over the years that a rider with full gear and luggage can get away with stuff that other riders get arrested for. For example I’ve ridden across Tennessee on a 1997 Honda VFR750 with a full set of givi luggage at 90-100 mph following cops, Beijing followed by cops and passing them in the median. Never slowed down and none of them bothered me.
Damn!

·
Registered
63 Posts
My riding is mostly around town on freeways and multilane roads. My long-term average is 37.9mpg. That improves markedly when I take long trips - into the mid-40's. I once zero'd out the computer while riding and saw 50mpg if I held 55mph in 6th gear. Normally ride solo, with empty sport bags.

·
Registered
11 Posts

For continental Europeans, you can use this website to convert your MPG values (I have included the l/100km option in the survey for convenience):

In addition to replying in the poll, It would be extremely helpful to reply with the following information:

1. Year/Model of Bike
4. Your typical Riding Style (three choices: Speed Limit, Faster than Speed Limit, Risk Jail Speeds)

Here is mine:

Modifications: K1300S Exhaust, K1300S Transmission, Booster Plug, Top Case, Upgraded Cushion Springs
Notes: MPG has always been low. Installing a booster plug, removing Remus Exhaust, Installing K1200S Exhaust, Installing K1300S Exhaust, replacing spark plugs, and doing oil changes hasn’t changed anything. Neither did installing the K1300S transmission. Right after installing upgraded Cushion springs, for one fill up I got 40mpg. That’s the highest I’ve gotten and I haven’t matched it since. I can’t shake the feeling that something is wrong with the bike.

1. Year/Model of Bike

Here is mine:

2007 K1200GT
45-49mpg
Faster than the speed limit

·
Registered
15 Posts
2014 K1300S
No mods
Ride faster than legal. Try to avoid jail speeds, but it happens.

The literature and a previous poster claim 50mpg at 55mph. I frequently quote that with the comment that "I have no way to verify that." ;)

I typically get 40 and have noted improved mileage when I can get ethanol free fuel.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine is usually around 40mpg. The 70+ are outliers, probably missed a fuel stop there. best is around 57mpg going putt-putt
Azure Rectangle Slope Font Aqua

1 - 13 of 13 Posts