BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

First post here, just looking for a bit of advice. I have a 2005 K1200S and shipped it to Hong Kong when I moved there for work, unfortunately I didn't get chance to register and ride there etc.

Long story short, the bike has been sat under a cover in a covered multi-storey car park for around 3 years.

I'll have it shipped as it is now back to me, just wondering what things I should be checking before attempting to start it again.

Obviously, I'm aware she'll need oil/filters and and a new battery. Aside from that is there anything special to watch out for?

Cheers, Mark

·
Registered
217 Posts
All the fluids except the coolant (oil, brake, differential, gas). Potentially wash the gas tank (the gas definitely needs to go), and if you’re really ambitious put a couple drops of ATF fluid in the cylinders before starting it, although b/c that’s such a pain in the ass you can skip it.

Maybe replace the air filters while you’re at it and make sure nothing has gotten inside the airbox.
Once you add gas to start it, add some fuel injector cleaner/fuel system cleaner to it. I recommend liqui-moly pro-line fuel system cleaner (follow the directions on the bottle).

Other than that you should be set.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
619 Posts
The major stuff has been recognized. Especially the brake fluid. Remember there are 4 circuits for the fluid in your bike. But don't forget small stuff like shift linkage ball joints, lever pivot points (clutch and brake), some oil on the side stand and center stand if you have one. At some point the splines will need fresh grease (moly lube) . but don't forget to have fun. A K12 is not so much a good city bike. It is rough running unless on the highway. I can see possible frustration in town. Pot stickers and other tasty treats will help.
Maybe this will help but do some search on the forum and web for details of bleeding the 4 channel system you have on your bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for the replies. It’s a great help. The things mentioned so far I’ll be sure to take care of, and should be able to do myself/at a local bike shop. Other people have said I may need to take it to BMW main dealer for the computer to be reset?

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
619 Posts
Get it running and see how it goes. It will take a couple of tanks of gas to clean up things. Maybe some fuel injector cleaner in the first tank. Keep in mind this thing runs poorly in town. It is a hot rod and a highway bike. Very pesky in town. The clutch will chatter and the great (read nasty hot rod) idle is fun.

Reactions: spanky
1 - 5 of 5 Posts