BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd share some shots of the most beautiful custom torque arm I've personally ever seen. Many here have seen those custom arms I used to have made for the RS... A few months ago I asked the same guy to produce one for my S and just today...
got this prototype ...

While I don't like the logo on it, he is already changing it for me to something a little more symmetrical. My main priority was to keep the same curvature of the factory arm which he did...

Is this sucker beeeautiful or what?? The guy is an artist...

BTW.. The guy that's painting my bike is done... a few parts have already arrived from Kaleeefornia... the rest of them will be here Weds next week. WooHoo!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
logo

jerry use the same logo as you had on my k1200rs has ? still looks good after 29000 miles. new one looks just as good.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Logo for product...

Jerry, maybe you could use the same graphic as the one you use in you signature (skull and crossed swords)?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Way ahead of you Sir Woolf.. That's exactly what he's gonna do...

WOOLF said:
jerry use the same logo as you had on my k1200rs has ? still looks good after 29000 miles. new one looks just as good.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Jerry, the new one looks longer than stock... is that an optical illusion?

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep.. same length.. same specs.. I didn't want any changes that might effect warranty and changing the geometry just might.. The piece is purely a cosmetic enhancement.

Never underestimate the unscrupulousness of a dealer when your bike has a prob and you've added variables...

·
Registered
324 Posts
jerry,

didn't realize you were working on this product - we've been playing with an adjustable bar for a while and will probably release ours soon. as to adjusting length, we found you can really "tune in" the bike by playing with small adjustments - a 10mm length change adds ~5mm ride height which definitely helps the turn-in of the bike. here is a quick shot of ours on one of our new project bikes:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was going

to order one from San Jose BMW but now I thinkI'll hold off and do some home work-thanks guys!

·
Registered
196 Posts
ive seen that pack- parts has an adjustable arm already..i was thinking about getting it.. but was concerened that maybe it might screw with the shaft drive angles like when u lift a truck

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very nice, Ken... Looks like the adjustments are made by screwing the rear section into the front section prior to install?? Is this correct?

It that's the case it would be infinitely more adjustable than the ones offered at Pack Parts..

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'll take one in black please. Very nice Jerry, compliments the rear lines nicely. Don't forget us black framed S (and R)owners who would like them in black...

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
evoluzione said:
- we've been playing with an adjustable bar for a while and will probably release ours soon. as to adjusting length, we found you can really "tune in" the bike by playing with small adjustments - a 10mm length change adds ~5mm ride height which definitely helps the turn-in of the bike. here is a quick shot of ours on one of our new project bikes
A very professional looking part Ken. The original part with the design arc to it appears to be intended for both tension and compression stress. Resultant flex in the orig bar is apparently designed to provide some range of movement or "cushioning" of torque effects. Just some questions :

- Do you think there is any risk of transferring hard torque stresses / vibration from accelleration and road surface irregularities through the use of a straight, essentially solid rod ?

- Does the range of lift in the suspension via your bar create any added stresses on drive line parts (universal joints, splined joints) ?

- Is there an advantage gained in handling adjustment by raising the rear of the bike via this torque link as opposed to lift created by careful rear suspension lift ?

A subjective assessment says it certainly looks the goods, but given the required structural function of this part I feel it is reasonable to raise these issues.

Regards
Lenz

·
Registered
324 Posts
Lenz said:
A very professional looking part Ken. The original part with the design arc to it appears to be intended for both tension and compression stress. Resultant flex in the orig bar is apparently designed to provide some range of movement or "cushioning" of torque effects. Just some questions :
the original part is just two stamped steel parts that are tack welded together. the arc design helps to make the thin sheets of metal much stiffer in compression loading. since a billet part (such as ours or pirate's) is much stiffer then the arc is not needed in the design. we decided to to go with a straight arm because i felt the stock arc didn't quite "flow" with the rest of the bike's styling.

- Do you think there is any risk of transferring hard torque stresses / vibration from accelleration and road surface irregularities through the use of a straight, essentially solid rod ?
the stock part is essentially solid as well - if it were to flex it would eventuallywork-harden and crack. the two mounting points are rubber mounted.

- Does the range of lift in the suspension via your bar create any added stresses on drive line parts (universal joints, splined joints) ?
the adjustments are limited to +0mm, +5mm, +10mm, +15mm & +20mm. in normal riding the rear drive unit will move through this arc of change so we don't feel there is any issue.

- Is there an advantage gained in handling adjustment by raising the rear of the bike via this torque link as opposed to lift created by careful rear suspension lift ?
how do you plan to adjust the rear suspension lift? the shock length is not adjustable and even if it was, you would need to adjust the torque arm to match anyway.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Ken -

Given that the KR has 0.5° steeper steering head angle than the KS and there is a reported difference in steering response for the KR it's not going to take a lot of lifting of the rear to induce a similiar, quicker turn-in change in the KS. The ESA in "Rider with Luggage" seems to give more preload to the rear suspension, making the bike with rider slightly lifted at the rear while underway.

Please correct me if any of this isn't right but it appears with an increase in rear preload there will be a general, variable lift at the rear based on load at any particular instant while a change in lift via the adjustable torque link is a constant "block" lift for the rear without the added undesirable effects of increasing suspension preload - a positive step definitely.

If the rear section of the drive assembly works through a range then if the rod adjustment is lengthened from standard doesn't that change the working arc of movement for the rear drive section ie it shifts the standard static position of the working arc further into the extreme of the drive line working arc range. Are there any long term negative wear / stress issues here.

Regards
Lenz

·
Registered
324 Posts
lenz,

you are correct that you can change ride height with spring preload, but that will affect the suspension (as you noted). by changing the torque arm length, you can achieve the desired affect without the harsh suspension settings.

as to wear/tear, i don't feel there will be any issues since we are staying inside such a small adjustment range (the bakker torque arm from holland offers the same adjustments) but until we put several hundred thousand miles on it i can't tell you for sure. in the mean time, i really enjoy the new feel of the bike.

·
Registered
293 Posts
evoluzione said:
as to wear/tear, i don't feel there will be any issues since we are staying inside such a small adjustment range (the bakker torque arm from holland offers the same adjustments) but until we put several hundred thousand miles on it i can't tell you for sure. in the mean time, i really enjoy the new feel of the bike.
Ken

Having the flexibility to easily influence handling should be a real plus for riders particularly if they want to sharpen the handling for track days etc. If its going to take several hundred thousand miles to MAYBE show any evidence of wear / failure due to an increase in driveline deflection angle then realistically that may be the life of the bike anyway.

Your adjustable torque link should be a worthwhile addition. Thank you for your replies.

Cheers
Lenz

1 - 20 of 22 Posts