BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got finished talking to a co-worker and he seems to think that his Honda Rune can out run the K1200S in the 1/4 mile he also seems to think his Rune is the fastest thing on two wheels and will out run not only the K1200S but Huyabusa, Blackbird, R1 and ZX12. I find his claims hard to believe, while i have no doubt the Rune has a little get up and go I don't think it's the fastest bike on the planet. i told him since he's a senior citizen the Rune only seems fast and that a 50cc moped or vespa would seem fast to him. what do you guys think about the Rune and it's potential????

·
Registered
969 Posts
butt fugly

the rune has to be the ugliest bike out there. i would let it outrun anything i was on just so it wouldn't be next to me. what were they thinking?
who cares how fast it is when it is that ugly?

·
Registered
88 Posts
runed

PERFORMANCE
Fuel mileage: 30–36 mpg; 34.0-mpg average
Average range: 204.6 miles
Horsepower: 90.6 @ 5250 rpm
Torque: 110.9 ft.-lbs. @ 2500 rpm
60-80-mph acceleration: 5.20 sec.
Quarter-mile acceleration: 12.42 @ 107.23

From cycle mag test...

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Seems he's about 2 seconds optimistic. I'd say offer to race him for pinks, but who would want that thing even if they won?! :confused:

·
Maestro de Turismo
406 Posts
The question isn't how fast it will go, but rather what the hell does he intend to do when he gets to the first corner at that speed with that abomination (besides stain his shorts) .

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info i figured he was being more than a little optimistic about the Rune and it's performance. i'm temporarily in hattiesburg, MS until the end of december so i can't smoke him on my KRS but i did tell him i'd buy a huyabusa and race him for his title. of course common sense kicked in and he chickened out. i won't call the rune ugly but it's certainly not something i would be caught dead riding on. thanks again to all that replied...ride safe

dave

·
Registered
796 Posts
a freind has a Rune, have to tell ya either hes a hell of a rider or they handle better than they look. I was riding double and he was keeping up with me thru the turns at over 125.now,, I felt i could have left him at any time if i would have been riding single. Feel a little funny with girlfriend on back while i'm hanging off the seat

·
"Hey Y'all"
2,239 Posts
Flashback ...

Memories .... I drag raced a guy back in, well ,years ago. It was a 1/4 mile race, but "his guys" were about 100 feet below where the "finish line" (i.e. mailbox) was. I was only a few feet in front, so I didn't back off. A friend was riding with me. Still nearly side by side as we enter what is normally a genlte and open right hander, the guy finally backs off, admitting defeat. As I am trying desperately not to loose it at a buck twenty in a curve with bias tires (radials were still an internet dream) my buddy turns around and says, "I hope Floyd doesn't crash. There's a hundred dollar fine for littering."

I haven't seen Bishop in, what, 30 years - but I can hear him say that just like it was yesterday, over the wail of squalling tires and the throaty sound of a very well built 351-C 4V. The "other" guy made the turn, btw. The slow car... a not so stock 1968 428 SCJ GT Mustang. (Late night, illegal as hell, loose your liscene AND your car if you're caught kind of stuff. DO NOT try this at home.)

So if the guy on the Rune wants a race, go for it. But find a local track. Those curves at the end of illegal street races can be a bitch. ;)

·
Registered
768 Posts
I am not an attorney, but encouraging racing on public roads does not seem like a good idea. Racing is for race tracks, when you know what's in front and what lies around the next corner.

Unless the Rune owner is an ex racer and is planning to whip your arse through amazing skills, he may just be a delusional old guy. If that is the case he is unlikely to do well after the ensuing crash from throwing down his gauntlet.

Technically the machines are miles apart, so I would be careful on this one.

·
Enthusiast
601 Posts
wellcraft said:
i just got finished talking to a co-worker and he seems to think that his Honda Rune can out run the K1200S in the 1/4 mile he also seems to think his Rune is the fastest thing on two wheels and will out run not only the K1200S but Huyabusa, Blackbird, R1 and ZX12. I find his claims hard to believe, while i have no doubt the Rune has a little get up and go I don't think it's the fastest bike on the planet. i told him since he's a senior citizen the Rune only seems fast and that a 50cc moped or vespa would seem fast to him. what do you guys think about the Rune and it's potential????
Well, as an owner of both I would have to say that your co-worker needs to reduce his meds. The Rune has a strong engine, but is too heavy and too low on horsepower to touch the S. The MSO on the Rune shows 118 horsepower and that is optimistic. The real world would put the horsepower in the 90-95 range at the rear wheel. No slouch as far as cruisers go, but then factor in the weight of just over 800 lbs and you have a mid-12 second machine. Many of us wish that Honda had given the Rune the power that it looks like it has, but they chose to only slightly massage the GoldWing engine.

As far as f'ugly... to each his own. I happen to really like the looks.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
My Riding Buddy Has One

Be ASSURED, the 12S makes the Valkyrie Rune look like it's standing still!

·
Registered
250 Posts
so...............how long has your friend been smoking crack anyway? ;)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
let me make one thing clear i never believed the Rune could even come close to keeping up with the "S" but I didn't have performance stats to prove it. my co-worker doesn't smoke crack that i know of but he's getting up in years and i keep telling him because he's a senior citizen he thinks 50cc mopeds are fast. now that i've burst his bubble and proved how slow the Rune really is i tease him on a daily basis. i do appeciate all the posts you guys made and it's nice to know people can come here and get information not only on BMW bikes but any bike.

·
Registered
796 Posts
i got laffed at once because I said my Honda v-65 Magna would outrun a Boss Hoss with a small block chevy in it. The Guy would never try me, even for a 100 bucks. Still cant see where a 1000 lb 2 speed bike with a 195 horse could beat the Magna, !/4 mile, top end, or around the twistys. Not that the Honda handled that good but the boss couldnt handle at all. Now the Boss Hoss with the 502 chevy might have been different if he could get any traction. Even then trying to launch the dam thing from a standing start would have been a trip .Anyone ride one these things? http://www.daytonabosshoss.com/

·
Registered
308 Posts
If you are racing a rune just hope your faster so you dont have to look at it. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts