BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide on a sport tourer to complement my 1150GS. I like the seating position and weather coverage of the R1150RT, but I'm less than pleased by lack of power and the overlap with the GS; seems pointless to have both. I'm thinking that an 03/04 K1200GT might be the right answer, if I can get the riding position a bit more upright. For those who've owned (or at least ridden) both, how close would Suburban stage II barbacks and lowered pegs get me to an RT upright riding position on the GT? Are there any other mods that would move the position more upright?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ride it and try to get used to the riding position before you put on the barbacks. I put the Suburban Type II's on within a few months of purchasing and eventually took them off. Once you get used to the ergo's, it's pretty comfortable (I'm 5'9" w/30" inseam). If you still want the barbacks, let me know, I'll be happy to sell them to you.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
I'll basically echo stevef's comments. Takes some getting used to at first, then you find that trying to navigate a Harley is next to impossible as the seating and bar positions are just awkward. Almost got barbacks, just weren't available at the time, and when they were available, I passed on getting them. 60k later, no regrets.

Balls of your feet on the pegs
Squeeze the tank with your knees
Bend forward at the hips, not the waist
Tuck your elbows into your ribcage
Hold grips as needed... :sun:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree with trying the GT in stock form. After a 1,700 mile 4-day weekend ride through West Virginia, I tried barbacks, went back to the stock handlebar location.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I do not agree with trying the GT in stock form if it does not fit you. It really depends on your body type and how you want to ride. In my case the stock position sucked.

Now I must admit that I do not have a typical body structure as while I am 6'2" I only have a 30' inseam thus long upper body and shorter legs. I put Suburban Barbacks II on my bike and lowered the pegs and I now have a riding position that fits me.

So go with what fits you.

Best of luck and enjoy your bike.

Hanshi

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ursa Major,

I have both bikes. An '04 RT and an '04 K RS (close to the GT). I am attaching a picture with the K standard bars set all the way back and the pegs all the way down (I understand this equals the GT ergos), the middle picture has 40mm barbacks.

I found it strange going back and forth between the bikes. The short story is that the RT is for sale.

I purchased the RT first, the K bike two years later. I know it sound strange that both are '04 - the RT purchase was Dec '03 and the K purchase was March '05.

I test rode both bikes before the original RT purchase. I loved the K motor but didn't like the ergos and I thought I would never get used to it. Then I read all the personal experiences of people on sites like this one that you get used to the forward position and then prefer it. I didn't think it would happen to me but it did, I got used to the K bike, albeit with barbacks, and began to find the RT position strange.

But most important to me was that I found it strange going from bike to the other. I would get somewhat used to the K bike. Then rode the RT, found it strange at first, then got used to it again. Then ditto when I rode the K bike again. I decided "this is for the birds" so I am sticking to one. I love that K motor so I am keeping it.

The RT is a great bike, I put 12k miles in 1.5 years, and I liked it very much. But it goes because the K RS is way faster and smoother. Plus it has electronic cruise control.

Here is the picture.

Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an R1150GS Adv and a K1200GT. I think you are on the right track with your plan to lower the pegs and try bar backs. I only lowered the pegs on the GT, but it made all the difference in the world for me. I will leave the bars alone for now, the stock position is comfortable to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks very much to everyone for their responses. For the guys suggesting to try it and get used to it, I hear you (and I did, sort of, with my K11RS's and my 99 K12RS), I just prefer the "sit up and beg" position for longer days. Hanshi, you're my clone (except I probably outweigh you by...umm..a lot). I also have a 30" inseam at 6'2", it's a pretty unusual configuration, I appreciate your insights. Ron, the photos are pretty enlightening. Which barbacks did you use for the middle shot? Do you know whether they compare to the Suburban Stage II's (sound like they would)? GT5_33, that's a nice mod. Ron, since you have both bikes, is the attachment point for the bars on the RT significantly higher/farther back than for the GT, i.e. even though RT bars were attached to the GT as Gt5_33 did, would they still sit lower/further forward than on the RT?

Thanks again, guys, you're a great resource.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ursa Major said:
I'm trying to decide on a sport tourer to complement my 1150GS. ...{Snip]... I'm thinking that an 03/04 K1200GT might be the right answer, if I can get the riding position a bit more upright. For those who've owned (or at least ridden) both, how close would Suburban stage II barbacks and lowered pegs get me to an RT upright riding position on the GT? [Snip]
Dave
If you're looking for more weather protection, and power, in the BMW line, consider the R1200RT. Better weather protection that the GT, and VERY close in performance. My GT will outrun my wife's R1200RT (I think), but only when the speeds get to totally insane. Anything below 130MPH is too close to call, not sure about more than that as we've not found an excuse to exceed that by much. :D

On the other hand, if you're serious about the lovely GT, whose beauty has captured my heart, expect a little less weather protection from crosswinds and interstate vehicle buffeting. When not following other vehicles, the windscreen does pretty good, but if you try to sit up with bar backs you'll need a taller windscreen, and possibly a different seat. I've learned to like a modest lean forward position, as I have a bad back, and riding all day on my wife's RT or my Goldwing leaves me so crippled up that I can hardly walk, especially the next morning. The GT riding position still leaves me with a bit of a stiff neck, but no back problems at all, even riding tank to tank all day with the stock seat.

I'm 6'2'', 31" inseam, so I'm a bit long in the body. I have a Cee Bailey +4 windscreen, stock seat, and I "think" my bike has some kind of bar backs on it. ( I bought it used, what it had then, it has now). The seating position is no where near as "sit up and beg" as the RT, It would take a LOT of changes to get there, like totally different bars, longer cables and wiring harness, and longer clutch and brake hoses. Then you'd need a much taller windscreen too. I would suspect that the handling would be changed, probably not for the better.

My only complaint about the GT is the short range. 160 miles or so to low fuel light, then I better be finding fuel within the next 30-40 miles. My Goldwing isn't much better, although it has a much bigger tank, it get much worse fuel mileage. My wife's RT gets MUCH better mileage (my Gt takes 10% more fuel, the 'Wing 25% more) and it's seven gallon fuel tank mean that I'm searching for fuel when she still has almost half a tank, and could be riding instead of stopping for fuel.

I'd suggest that you find a dealer who will let you test ride a GT for an hour or more to get a feel for how the riding position fits you. It's tough to tell with only a short ride, or worse yet just sitting still. Since you're talking about an '03-04, there's a good chance that whatever you find may already have bar backs on it anyway.

·
Registered
460 Posts
ditto....

I agree with your observations.....I too have the GT and wife has the R1200RT....same thing here....I have fuel tank envy, though I love my bike.....I'm probably going to "borrow" hers for a trip this spring to IL to visit family. You can't beat the range, comfort and protection. Handling is great as well. I still love my bike.....perhaps a fuel cell and a Russell seat will even things out.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ursa Major said:
Thanks very much to everyone for their responses. For the guys suggesting to try it and get used to it, I hear you (and I did, sort of, with my K11RS's and my 99 K12RS), I just prefer the "sit up and beg" position for longer days. Hanshi, you're my clone (except I probably outweigh you by...umm..a lot). I also have a 30" inseam at 6'2", it's a pretty unusual configuration, I appreciate your insights. Ron, the photos are pretty enlightening. Which barbacks did you use for the middle shot? Do you know whether they compare to the Suburban Stage II's (sound like they would)? GT5_33, that's a nice mod. Ron, since you have both bikes, is the attachment point for the bars on the RT significantly higher/farther back than for the GT, i.e. even though RT bars were attached to the GT as Gt5_33 did, would they still sit lower/further forward than on the RT?

Thanks again, guys, you're a great resource.
My barbacks are Verholen 40 mm, came as a kit with longer brake line. Remember that I have an RS, not a GT. The GT barbacks are different but accomplish the same thing. Check out the differences at Pirates Lair.

I am not familiar with the RT bars on the GT. That is a major, out of the ordinary modification. It is not a bolt on and it is not a BMW conversion. Somebody did some major machining.

If you want the upright position then you have these choices: R1200 RT, the new K1200 GT coming out in April, the Honda ST 1300, and the Yamaha FJR 1300.

Good luck, let us know what you decide, and post pictures.

Ron

1 - 13 of 13 Posts