BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have used them but my skills are such that all i know is that they brake. I don't feel anything special...no pulsating or such. They just brake.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have used them but my skills are such that all i know is that they brake. I don't feel anything special...no pulsating or such. They just brake.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
As long as they do the job without any fishy business, I'll be satisfied.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I ran a set of EBCs for about a year. Only bought them because of availability. They are cheaper but I found them to be noisier, they shed more dust, and didn't have the nice gradient squeeze of the Brembos. And make no mistake, those BMW factory pads are Brembos. After a year I asked what they had at the local Beemer shop where I bought the EBCs. They stopped carrying them because of similar complaints to mine. So all they had was the BMW (Brembo) pads which are way more money then you can get them from Brembo without the BMW name on them. I had to shop around because Brembo pads are Hell to find in the US. I finally found a good selection from a shop in Italy. Shops in the UK also carry Brembo pads but are twice the money as Italy. Shipping out of the UK and Italy is not bad and faster then I had expected ( a week out of UK, couple of weeks out of Italy).

Ever since I got into BMWs I have found I'm shopping from Europe much more then I expected. I have found that Germany makes excellent products but are the most expensive and shipping is slower. The UK has lots of Beemer parts, is just a little less spendy then Germany but has the fastest shipping out of Europe. The Italians are usually the lowest prices and the shipping is acceptable both price and time. I have only shopped from Holland twice but found them to be as expensive as Germany and very slow and pricey shipping. I have even bought parts from Baltic countries (Latvia) which have become the wrecking yards for Europe and I was amazed the parts actually showed up and arrived in a couple weeks. I don't think I'd buy big ticket items out of these places but for stuff under $100, I'll risk it.

I can't say any of this can be taken as absolute in any way but is just my experience over the last 8 years. I have bought bike parts out of Europe on 20 or 30 occasions now and have been only burned once from some shop out of Italy but I think was a case of being lost in the mail. I have purchased out of Italy many times since with no problems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm talking about installation. If you can install on a R bike, it is the same as a K bike (I know because I had an R1200RT).
EBC makes several types of pads, organic (FA) and sintered (HH) are the 2 best known. I suspect your excess dust is from the organic pads, but they wear the discs less! I was surprised at the short life of many brake discs as well as the cost to replace them,so for street use I will live with the dust. Carbone Lorraine only sold metallic pads. EBC suggest metallic for racing, in part because of the extra heat. I have never felt a problem on the street using the organic option, but I think I have prolonged the life of my discs. Ferodo is another company that makes both types BTW.

Organic pads in general have shorter life, less disc wear, and less grip when wet, sintered gives better wet grip higher disc wear but last longer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts