BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a "new" 03 K1200GT and am going to replace the tires - among a few other things to get her in tip top shape. I'd like to get maximum mileage out of my new rubber, but still have decent "stickiness" - what are the current thoughts on the best tire values? Thanks in advance -

·
Registered
65 Posts
Avon Tires

Hey, check out the Storm ST from Avon. I am on my second set, and love them! The best prices around for the tires are on sportour.com.

Pete

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
Well, I'm gonna say...

Metzeler Z6's. But, I'm really not an agressive rider. And, I'm in California, where the roads are paved in such a way that the tires don't wear. I've got 10k on my rear, 8k on the front, and easily have 2k to go.

There's been discussions before about the "C" version for the rear, that being the one recommended over the non-"C" version. I've never used the recommended version (Mezeler or Pirelli), as I didn't think the weight would ever be close to the conditions requiring the "C" version (or "B" version on the older Z4). Only thing in my mind that was different was the weight. The K1200RS didn't have that recommendation, and as close as the bikes are in weight, I didn't consider my solo riding as needing it. Now, though...if I do get 12k miles out of the rear, it'll be a first and I'll get them again.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
418 Posts
2004 K1200gt

My factory Bridgestones were gone at less than 10,000 km.I put on Metzler Z6.They were gone at 18,000 km.I put on Michelin Pilot Roads.They have a groove down the middle,front and rear,at 26,000 km.A really poor handling experience until they warm up,so they will be gone soon.Though they have plenty of tread on the edges.

Not a stellar performance from any tire set yet...Contis?Avons?
Dunno.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have had great luck with the Metzler Z6's, got 11-12K miles on them. I have now switched to the Avon Storms, wow great tires. The first set I got about 10K out of them, but the last 3400 was two up Virginia to California on many back roads.

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Tars

I love my Conti Road Attacks. See my reply to the "Wet Tire" thread posted. Great in the rain, fantastic dry-sticky, quick warm-up, and decent mileage. Tire pressure being the key to all. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tires

Elmo:

I am currently running a set of "Pirelli Diablo Strada" on my GT. It appears that they are going to outlast both the Bridgestone BT-20s and Metzeller MEZ-6's that I have run. They feel real good and the front appears to resist the "cupping" that is common on these bikes. Enjoy your new bike and ride safe.

Bob

:teeth

·
Registered
176 Posts
Second the Diablo Stradas. Better mileage than the Z6, no cupping. The Strada is an updated version of the Z6, since Metzeler and Pirelli are one and the same now. I used to run Pilot Roads and they had a good combo of mileage and handling, but I like the Stradas much better. www.swmototires.com or www.americanmototire.com

Best,

GTRider

·
Registered
142 Posts
cobbler said:
I love my Conti Road Attacks. See my reply to the "Wet Tire" thread posted. Great in the rain, fantastic dry-sticky, quick warm-up, and decent mileage. Tire pressure being the key to all. :D

+1 Gonna buy another set of conti road attacks this week.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the responses - I went with the Metz Z6's - next time around I will try the Mich Pilot Road 2's - should be available in a few months.
Ride Safe and Far -

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree

[I agree Pirelli Diablo on my 03 GT the best tire I have yet to use smooth and grippy but yet wearing exceptionally well. I had Metzler on before and they were junk at 4,000 miles have these on already 6,000 and look great

·
Registered
3 Posts
Conti's

cobbler said:
+1 :clap:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm running Michelin Road Pilots on my '04 GT. Planning a trip this weekend and was wondering what my TP should be for front and rear. Will be traveling two up, about 350lbs Take Off Gross Weight.

Sorry, I am not at home to look it up and this thread reminded me to check air, bike is in the parking lot at work and I'll be stopping for air on the way home...

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
scumshine said:
I'm running Michelin Road Pilots on my '04 GT. Planning a trip this weekend and was wondering what my TP should be for front and rear. Will be traveling two up, about 350lbs Take Off Gross Weight.

Sorry, I am not at home to look it up and this thread reminded me to check air, bike is in the parking lot at work and I'll be stopping for air on the way home...
The book says: 36F-42R or thereabouts.

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
Elmo said:
Thanks for all the responses - I went with the Metz Z6's - next time around I will try the Mich Pilot Road 2's - should be available in a few months.
Ride Safe and Far -
I used the Z6's on my '03 RS exclusively, and my '07 GT came with Z6's also. I have had good luck with them as an "all around" tire. In my own experience, the secret to longer wear and reducing the cupping is keeping the PSI up higher than recommended. I keep my front and back both up at around 42, and I'm always solo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts