BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have my windscreen totally removed from bike I would like to clean it up before re-installing. Any suggestions on a product (windscreen is stock, clear) that will maybe remove some slight scratches and clean thoroughly??.

·
Registered
362 Posts
RedHawK12GT said:
Since I have my windscreen totally removed from bike I would like to clean it up before re-installing. Any suggestions on a product (windscreen is stock, clear) that will maybe remove some slight scratches and clean thoroughly??.
Miguirar's make several products for this.

Meguiars

Plexus is a good cleaner to help prevent scratches.

Looks like you will have to copy and paste the link.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Hey RedHawk

Most, if not all wind screens made of plastic have a light protective coating on it. When it comes to scratches, you can't "get rid of them", you can only mask them, or fill them in from my experience. Soap and water is the best for cleaning, using a striaght up and down motion, if you make circular motions you'll get swirling scratch marks that cause a "twilight" effect during night riding. I feel plexus is the best treatment for the screen to mask the scratches. Food for thought. BMW makes a great machine, but is lousey at windscreen technology, I mean P.U. lousey. I'm sorry but I had to chuckle when you said you had a stock CLEAR windscreen. This I feel is their weakest link of a fine chain. The plastic coating will scratch if a mosquito with a hard-on hits it. DO NOT use Novus plastic scratch remover products on BMW coated screens. This will make matters worse. Novus make a great product for NON coated plastic, experience only speaks on this. One last word of wisdom from experience. If you choose the Plexus, keep removing it with soap and water washings and re-apply it. If you keep adding on to it, you may experience excessive fogging. I think this is caused by trapped moisture in between the coats. I've had this happen on my KLT, especially on a cool morning after I covered it the night before when the bike was still warm. It eventually goes away the next day after riding, but will reoccure until the old stuff is removed. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
158 Posts
cobbler said:
DO NOT use Novus plastic scratch remover products on BMW coated screens. This will make matters worse. Novus make a great product for NON coated plastic, experience only speaks on this.
I gotta say, this was not my experience. I use Novus 3 to remove the deeper scratches followed by Novus 2 to polish the fine scratches out. I have found this to work extremely well. I was contemplating having to replace the windshield at one point, but this works great. I will say that only using #3 was pretty scary, as it seemed to make matters worse, but after using the finer #2 polish, the windshield looks like new. Well, almost.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Novus

stevef said:
I gotta say, this was not my experience. I use Novus 3 to remove the deeper scratches followed by Novus 2 to polish the fine scratches out. I have found this to work extremely well. I was contemplating having to replace the windshield at one point, but this works great. I will say that only using #3 was pretty scary, as it seemed to make matters worse, but after using the finer #2 polish, the windshield looks like new. Well, almost.
Hey Steve,
My experience was on my now departed 2000 KLT. Maybe BMW made some changes to their coating. I used the three Novus stages on a small spot and it left scratching. It seemed to me the coating was very soft, especially for the Novus to scratch it. I hope no one thinks I was knocking Novus by any means. It is a great system for plastic scratching. Glad you had good luck and I'll keep this in mind for future problems. Once bitten, twice shy I guess. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Novus

Cobbler,

I agree about Novus, I bought a new helmet and decided to clean the lens. Not a good experience. For one as you said the lens has a coating on it and it totally ruined the lens. Never had the helmet on. I called and emailed Novus about it. They were blaming me. Then they said take the lens off and send it to us and we will decide what really happened. I asked them what should I do in the mean time, they said go buy another lens. I used Novus products for years, NO More. They all went in the trash. I emailed the manufacture of the helmet to ask about a cleaner since I had to purchase a new lens and they next day shipped free of charge a new lens. They told me to use Plexus.

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
Microfiber cloth

I've scratched up more windshields than I can count. The one on my '03 RS looks like a spider web. FINALLY, and TOO LATE for this windshield, I've learned two important words: PLEXUS, and MICROFIBER. In my personal experience, it almost doesn't matter how careful you are, if you're not using microfiber cloth, you are going to leave scratches.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I spotted the stock screen on my RS, I am not sure how but I think it was using a bug remover. It's not smeared. It's not clouded. It's not scratched. It's fine spots evenly distributed on the screen.

Come to think of it, the pattern looks like over spray. Perhaps something splattered on the road. Plexus won't remove or diminish it.

Ron

·
Registered
326 Posts
chuckwilmot said:
I've scratched up more windshields than I can count. The one on my '03 RS looks like a spider web. FINALLY, and TOO LATE for this windshield, I've learned two important words: PLEXUS, and MICROFIBER. In my personal experience, it almost doesn't matter how careful you are, if you're not using microfiber cloth, you are going to leave scratches.
I agree with Chuck for everyday use, but you might want to take a look at Crystal Glo products that include a helmet and visor polish that work great. I've been using all the Crystal Glo products for over a year with results I'm happy with. I really like their polish.
http://crystal-glo.com/usa/bike/

·
Registered
81 Posts
Kit Bike Clean and Meguiars Cleaner Wax

I've had excellent luck with Kit Bike Clean. http://kitwax.com/html/motorcycleCareProducts.htm I use this on the bike, windshield, helmet, and face shield. Ditto to Chuck's comment on the microfibre towel use. The Bike Clean gets all the gunk off and leaves the finishes in great shape. After cleaning the face shield and windshield, I'll finish it off with Meguiars Cleaner Wax to fill in or hide the fine scratches. I haven't noticed any wax build-up, and it does a good job of masking (not removing) the scratches. http://www.meguiars.com/?liquid-car-waxes/Cleaner-Wax

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'll put in another vote for the Novus product. I bought my bike used and the previous owner must have used sandpaper to clean the windshield. After some work with the Novus polishes it looks like new.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts