BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 700 miles on my k12r. No ABS. The rear bakes seem weak compared to say my ducati monster that I bought for my wife or my sons R6. They will lock if you really step on them and the dealer tells me it is supposed to be like that. Has anyone had this experience?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Rear brake? Mine doesn't work at all. The only thing it does is hold it still at a stop light.

I'm surprized you don't hear more about this. It almost caused me to crash once at a mall.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yeah

Everybody I know with a K-R and most posters here have agreed that the rear provides minimal stopping/dragging power. The caliper is small, mounted in a unique way, and apparently effective for things like trail braking or settling the suspension but not for primary stopping force.

I have seen nothing official nor semi-official that addresses this as either an engineering decision or a design flaw.

Meanwhile, be sure to follow your MSF training - front brake progressive pressure for stopping.

·
Registered
209 Posts
camfarm said:
Everybody I know with a K-R and most posters here have agreed that the rear provides minimal stopping/dragging power. The caliper is small, mounted in a unique way, and apparently effective for things like trail braking or settling the suspension but not for primary stopping force.

I have seen nothing official nor semi-official that addresses this as either an engineering decision or a design flaw.

Meanwhile, be sure to follow your MSF training - front brake progressive pressure for stopping.
You've got that right!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Took The R Out Last Summer For A Demo....rear Break Sucked So Bad I Took It Back And Told Them There Is Something Wrong! And This Isnt Safe..it Would Work If You Stood On It But Then It Would Lock Up..i Think With All That "go" There Better Be Some Recalls!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
You Know The More I Sit Here And Thinking About This The More I Think That Someone Is Going To Get Killed With That Rear Brake. Someone Is Going To Take It Out On A Demo Again And Not Knowing How Bad It Is , Red Line That Thing And Wont Stop!...trust Me...that Is A Crash Just Waiting To Happen

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
My rear brake works just fine - far better than the GSX-R1000 I had... or my girlfriends GSX-R600... :confused: Obviously the stoppingpower is at the front, but that's another topic, innit :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
BAK04GT said:
You Know The More I Sit Here And Thinking About This The More I Think That Someone Is Going To Get Killed With That Rear Brake. Someone Is Going To Take It Out On A Demo Again And Not Knowing How Bad It Is , Red Line That Thing And Wont Stop!...trust Me...that Is A Crash Just Waiting To Happen
Not meaning to offend anyone, but if a person knows how to ride a motorcycle properly, the weak rear brake is a very minor issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I guess the point is...should the rear brake not work for all the money. Why should they be allowed to build something like this? And get away with it. Thats why they have recalls.
If it were a weak 6th gear would you all be happy with that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
StuartBrody said:
I guess the point is...should the rear brake not work for all the money. Why should they be allowed to build something like this? And get away with it. Thats why they have recalls.
If it were a weak 6th gear would you all be happy with that.
STUART:
You're mixing apples and oranges comparing tranny & brake problems. I don't think that the rear brake problem is in the design of it. I would be willing to wager that if you put some softer pads on the rear you could get some good lock-up and some wonderful high-sides.

BAK04GT:
I would bet that if you did your research you would find that more people are killed from using too much rear brake (lockup leading to high-side) than from not using it at all. Properly trained riders use the rear brake sparingly, relying on the front brake for the vast majority of their braking power.

If I was as concerned as you folks appear to be I would just change out the rear pads for some that would give me more "bite".

·
Registered
22 Posts
At brand new my rear brake was near worthless as well. It was unreliable to bring me to a complete stop at a light via the MSF progressive stop method. Best advice I found was to really hammer it down for the first 1000 miles. Now at 3500 miles the rear brake is everything I wanted it to be. It provides stronger braking than I utilize, it's a huge difference. Concentrate on breaking it in and it's something that will definitely get better with time.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
ok ...how about a panic stop..little sand the real problem is that it locks up i have been on many diff bikes and never had anything like this. maybe if i knew how to ride, the rear brake would work better?...give me a brake!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well, I suppose you could get a Harley. I hear their rear brakes work real well. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
93 Posts
ody2002 said:
At brand new my rear brake was near worthless as well. It was unreliable to bring me to a complete stop at a light via the MSF progressive stop method. Best advice I found was to really hammer it down for the first 1000 miles. Now at 3500 miles the rear brake is everything I wanted it to be. It provides stronger braking than I utilize, it's a huge difference. Concentrate on breaking it in and it's something that will definitely get better with time.
Don't know where you learned the MSF Progressive stop method, but when I was teaching the course the "emphasis" was put on the front brake. Yes, rear brake was used also, but obviously not to the point of lockup. Biggest problem with student riders was they would keep locking up the rear and not progressively squeeze the front brake handle.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
yukon42 said:
Don't know where you learned the MSF Progressive stop method, but when I was teaching the course the "emphasis" was put on the front brake. Yes, rear brake was used also, but obviously not to the point of lockup. Biggest problem with student riders was they would keep locking up the rear and not progressively squeeze the front brake handle.
I GUESS I NEED TO TAKE A RIDING CORSE AND THAT 30 YEARS OF RIDING AND STILL I DONT KNOW HOW TO RIDE AND THAT ITS ALL IN THE RIDER AND TO SAY GET A HARLEY ?....WELL THAT JUST TELLS ME THAT YOUR NOT PAYING ATTENTION TO THE SUBJECT....I WILL SAY THAT IN A PERFECT WORLD WHERE THE ROADS ARE STRAIT NO CURVES NO HILLS AND YOU CAN SEE A MILE DOWN THE ROAD YOU MAYBE RIGHT...BUT WHEN YOU HAVE BLIND CURVES AND WHEN ONLY A SPLIT SEC CHANGES EVERYTHING YOU BEST MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE SOME BRAKING POWER IN THE REAR...WERE HERE TO ASK AND ANSWER QUESTIONS THAT CONCERN US AND TO MAKE SURE THAT WE STAY ON TOP OF ANY PROBLEM WITH THE THINGS THAT KEEP US OFF THE BLACK TOP OR OUT OF THE BACK SEAT OF WHAT EVER IS IN FRONT OF US ...THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR BULL SHIT ...ENOUGH SAID

·
Registered
93 Posts
Oh come off it BAK04GT, don't be so thin skinned.

I used to work for a guy who rode in the ISDT back in the 60's/70's with Preston Petty and that bunch. No matter how hard I tried I could never convince him that you MUST counter steer a motorcycle at speed to get it to turn (the ol' press right, go right routine).

He always maintained that you steer a motorcycle with leg/knee pressure. Hey, who am I to say he's wrong. (But I do think he was confusing his motorcycles with horses! :D). Obviously it's been working for him for some 30/40 years!

Point is; lighten up. No one is casting doubts on your riding ability. What ever works for you is best for you.

As for me, I don't need a brake strong enough to lock the rear.

Peace bro.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Maybe those complaining about the rear brakes could describe what , or how much they think the rear should do? I've never ridden any bike that had a rear brake that would effectivly stop a bike, that's what the fronts are for, the rear gives about 15% of the total stoping power available. 85% of the stopping power is up front. FWIW that's what makes the integral ABS so great just grab the front lever and WOW you are stopping right now with no worries of lock up or nothing. At least that's how my S works. Now I do remember reading once how many of the cruisers are setup with much stronger rear brakes since many of those riders aren't, well how do I put, well schooled. So Harley and others make the rears strong since those riders think using the fronts will put them over the bars...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I traded in my Triumph Speed Triple for the K1200R. On both bikes, the rear brakes are the same, meaning it would hardly stop the bikes when used by itself, but isn't that made like that by design?? On my Vrod, I can lock-up the bike if I am not careful with my rear. As a matter of fact I almost lost the rear end once because it locked up on me. I upgraded the stock Vrod front brake to a bigger Brembo rotors and calipers to give me more brake to the front of the bike.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If the rear brake wasn't needed why is it included at all? They could save some weight and expense by just leaving it off.

Instead it's part of a linked system. When you apply the front the rear is also applied to a certain extent.

If it mattered so little why would ANYONE have a rear brake.

The bottom line is there are plenty of people here that have ridden for dozens of years on dozens of bikes.

They are comparing the K1200R to their past experiences and it doesn't measure up.

Period.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts