BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might have already asked here, but... (well ok, i've asked this a dozen times)

Has anyone put the Speigler bar replacement kit on their kRS? Experience?

Come on now, don't fear the Master Yoda flames to follow.....

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
Not such a stupid question. As me and my K1200RS grow old together I could do with trying a conventional bar setup. Although I've got the oem GT bar risers, the bike is still setup for lean forward and longer arms than me.

There was a police special version of the K1200RS with more conventional bars. The top triple tree is replaced for a version with conventional bar tube clamps. I think the aftermarket conversion kit you mention comes with the longer clutch and brake lines. The electrics to the existing grips do not have much extra length so check, otherwise you would have to solder splice and sleeve to extend the wiring.

For me I would want the bars closer to my torso to put some slack in my arms. I don't know how well that would work with the conversion, because they have to clear the screen and the KRS tank is pretty high. I'd also be interested to hear from anybody whose fitted the kit and whether the bars are set so high they go over the tank, and what happens with the screen. I see there are some caveats about clearance on their website:

Attention: Current generation sportbikes have very tight clearances in the handlebar pocket of the fairing. Modifications to the windshield and/or fairing may be necessary for proper mounting of these kits. LSL handlebar conversion kits are TÜV approved, and have been demonstrated to mount and work properly in the form that they arrive.

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/product_info.php/lsl-k1200rs-superbike-handlebar-kit-bmw-k1200rsgt-z120b022-p-2208

http://www.spieglerusa.com/controls/handlebar-conversion.html

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
86 Posts
ABM Handle bar conversion

I think ABM do a conversion for the K1200gt, please see the link:

http://www.bikermart.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=210-10058

We have a Suzuki SV650s with the ABM conversion, it works well.

Others on the SV forum have used an old handle bar yoke and attached this kind of riser

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORCYCLE-MULTI-STAGE-HANDLE-BAR-RISER-KIT-FOR-22-2mm-BAR-CLAMPS-/121433135925?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c45fa9b35

by drilling the yolk and using longer bolts to secure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
K1200rs Bar Conversion

Hi all, I'm a newbie here so please be kind. After 8 months and 1500 miles of ownership I have done my own bar conversion using R1100 RT bars. Has anyone else tried this? The position is now sublime for me. My photos are too large a file size to upload right now but I'll figure something out shortly.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bluewhale said:
Hi all, I'm a newbie here so please be kind. After 8 months and 1500 miles of ownership I have done my own bar conversion using R1100 RT bars. Has anyone else tried this? The position is now sublime for me. My photos are too large a file size to upload right now but I'll figure something out shortly.
Is it a straight forward bolt on?
If not, other than the bars, what did it take?

·
Registered
13 Posts
ConvertiBars for K12RS

http://www.convertibars.com

You might want to check out ConvertiBars for the K1200RS. Very flexible and adjusts to many positions.

CaLbs - 2003 K1200RS w/Hannigan Sport Sidecar & 175/55R17 car tire on stock BMW Rim

·
Registered
524 Posts
CaLbs said:
http://www.convertibars.com

You might want to check out ConvertiBars for the K1200RS. Very flexible and adjusts to many positions.

CaLbs - 2003 K1200RS w/Hannigan Sport Sidecar & 175/55R17 car tire on stock BMW Rim
Hello CAL,
Do you have these Convertibars on your K1200RS ?
If you do, I would appreciate some pictures to make a better decision before buying.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
ConvertiBARS for K12RS

No... not on my outfit, but thinking about it. The question was about different bars so he could decide, kinda like you, and I thought he should know about another alternative.

Attachments

·
Registered
524 Posts
CaLbs said:
No... not on my outfit, but thinking about it. The question was about different bars so he could decide, kinda like you, and I thought he should know about another alternative.
Thank you for quick reply.
Because these Convertibars are expensive, I was hoping you had tried them before making a decision myself.

Bought my K1200RS in 2002, but now 14 years later my older body would need a break from the sport handlebar position. In addition, I do not have very long arms so that becomes an issue with the design of the riding position on the K1200RS. I may also sell it this year for a more upright and long suspension bike (adventure touring like Yamaha Super-Tenere, R1200GS...)

By the way... Nice rig !

·
Registered
86 Posts
Looks good

Bluewhale said:
They look pretty stylish and functional. Well done & thanks for sharing.

Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
K1200rs Bar Conversion

If still active, I'd really like to get more details on how you did this. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
If still active, I'd really like to get more details on how you did this. Thanks
Let me know if you find anything, I have the same issues....have 2" barbacks, love the bike but with short arms a couple more inches would be ideal!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Those handlebars seem to go up and out, not necessarily back, which is where I need them. Not cheap either. I'll keep investigating.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I noticed you all wanting to move bars back and have a suggestion -- I just had my '04 K GT built up into an EML sidecar rig at EurowingUSA in FL....one of my wishes was for bars that were more upright and "back" to allow for a more upright riding position. Marvin at EurowingUSA designed some bar backs that accomplished exactly what I wanted! Required rerouting throttle cables and lengthening clutch hose (simple short extension added at the grip) and some wiring....I will try to attach a pic...not inexpensive but billet aluminum anodized to look as stock....finest quality workmanship out of Italy and gets my position where I wanted..

Let me know if you have any questions..

Kevin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts