BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

k12rs replace w. traidional bars?

8K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  cycleman 
#1 ·
I might have already asked here, but... (well ok, i've asked this a dozen times)

Has anyone put the Speigler bar replacement kit on their kRS? Experience?

Come on now, don't fear the Master Yoda flames to follow.....

#2 ·
Not such a stupid question. As me and my K1200RS grow old together I could do with trying a conventional bar setup. Although I've got the oem GT bar risers, the bike is still setup for lean forward and longer arms than me.

There was a police special version of the K1200RS with more conventional bars. The top triple tree is replaced for a version with conventional bar tube clamps. I think the aftermarket conversion kit you mention comes with the longer clutch and brake lines. The electrics to the existing grips do not have much extra length so check, otherwise you would have to solder splice and sleeve to extend the wiring.

For me I would want the bars closer to my torso to put some slack in my arms. I don't know how well that would work with the conversion, because they have to clear the screen and the KRS tank is pretty high. I'd also be interested to hear from anybody whose fitted the kit and whether the bars are set so high they go over the tank, and what happens with the screen. I see there are some caveats about clearance on their website:

Attention: Current generation sportbikes have very tight clearances in the handlebar pocket of the fairing. Modifications to the windshield and/or fairing may be necessary for proper mounting of these kits. LSL handlebar conversion kits are TÜV approved, and have been demonstrated to mount and work properly in the form that they arrive.

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/prod...e-handlebar-kit-bmw-k1200rsgt-z120b022-p-2208

http://www.spieglerusa.com/controls/handlebar-conversion.html

#3 ·
#4 · (Edited)
K1200rs Bar Conversion

Hi all, I'm a newbie here so please be kind. After 8 months and 1500 miles of ownership I have done my own bar conversion using R1100 RT bars. Has anyone else tried this? The position is now sublime for me. My photos are too large a file size to upload right now but I'll figure something out shortly.

Attachments

#11 ·
K1200rs Bar Conversion

Hi all, I'm a newbie here so please be kind. After 8 months and 1500 miles of ownership I have done my own bar conversion using R1100 RT bars. Has anyone else tried this? The position is now sublime for me. My photos are too large a file size to upload right now but I'll figure something out shortly.
If still active, I'd really like to get more details on how you did this. Thanks

#5 ·
Bluewhale said:
Is it a straight forward bolt on?
If not, other than the bars, what did it take?

#7 ·
CaLbs said:
http://www.convertibars.com

You might want to check out ConvertiBars for the K1200RS. Very flexible and adjusts to many positions.

CaLbs - 2003 K1200RS w/Hannigan Sport Sidecar & 175/55R17 car tire on stock BMW Rim
Hello CAL,
Do you have these Convertibars on your K1200RS ?
If you do, I would appreciate some pictures to make a better decision before buying.

Thanks!

#9 ·
CaLbs said:
No... not on my outfit, but thinking about it. The question was about different bars so he could decide, kinda like you, and I thought he should know about another alternative.
Thank you for quick reply.
Because these Convertibars are expensive, I was hoping you had tried them before making a decision myself.

Bought my K1200RS in 2002, but now 14 years later my older body would need a break from the sport handlebar position. In addition, I do not have very long arms so that becomes an issue with the design of the riding position on the K1200RS. I may also sell it this year for a more upright and long suspension bike (adventure touring like Yamaha Super-Tenere, R1200GS...)

By the way... Nice rig !

#10 ·
Looks good

Bluewhale said:
They look pretty stylish and functional. Well done & thanks for sharing.

Mark

#16 ·
I noticed you all wanting to move bars back and have a suggestion -- I just had my '04 K GT built up into an EML sidecar rig at EurowingUSA in FL....one of my wishes was for bars that were more upright and "back" to allow for a more upright riding position. Marvin at EurowingUSA designed some bar backs that accomplished exactly what I wanted! Required rerouting throttle cables and lengthening clutch hose (simple short extension added at the grip) and some wiring....I will try to attach a pic...not inexpensive but billet aluminum anodized to look as stock....finest quality workmanship out of Italy and gets my position where I wanted..

Let me know if you have any questions..

Kevin

#19 ·
Not a K1200RS, but I put a LS Superbike type handlebar conversion kit on my R1100S and was fortunate and only had to change the brake hose.

The RS is a different animal. In playing with different bars, GT & RS Comfort and various barbacks , you can get away with the RS Comfort grip and a bar back, but it is tight on both the clutch and brake line. The throttle cable is also fairly tight but workable. If I put the GT bars on the bike, I can't use a barback, cables including wiring is too short.

I've ordered a pair of hydraulic line extensions for the brake & clutch line and this winter I'll do the work to move accelerator cable and extend wiring if I have to.

So in answer to your question, " what will I have to change", you'll have to wait until you get the RT bars etc installed. It will be interesting to see how much it cost you, and then compare it to an aftermarket kit like the LS Super bike kit for the K1200RS.. Also if it was just a straight swap with the steering and ignition switch. Keep us posted.

#22 ·
Just an update. I'm in the process of putting a ABM handlebar conversion on my K1200RS. It is much more involved than my conversion on the R1100S. Involves extending the clutch and brake lines as well as extending the wiring to the handlebar switches. Also you have to drill the new handlebar for heated grips and bar end weights if you have them.

I've finished drilling the handlebar and have still had to install a fairly tall riser to get the bars where I want them.

The K1200RS is much longer between the forks to the rear of the gas tank, than the R1100S was so that involves having to use a bar riser of some height to get the handlebar far enough back for me. Also I'm using a custom seat. With my height and arm length I've settled on a 3.5 " riser. I know that sounds like a lot but if you do the following, put a straight edge across the handlebar ends and measure the distance between that and the ignition switch it comes out to about 10.5 ". If you compare that with the GT bars and barbacks they measure about 8". The riser allows you to adjust the handlebar higher or lower without affecting the above distance. I'm currently working on extending the switch wiring and they will have to be extended quite a bit depending on how I route them around the front of the forks.

So the process is not a cut and paste operation.